Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2018, 07:50 AM   #21
catcon

Default Re: Amazon Studios

Meanwhile, pretend-Amazon Studios are still trying the crowd-writing thing:

http://www.cbc.ca/news...

Check out the headline: You'd swear this article is written by somebody who doesn't have a clue at all about the work behind writing a story.

Anyway, the originators are quoted in the article with all sorts of reader comment numbers etc. being the metrics for calculating repeatable success. Didn't the 2016 Yankee election tell us that all of these things can be rigged, or weighted, or at least affected, through FB, etc.?

So what if these guys have had a few success stories. Don't they say they have 70+ million users? Even AS had better results than that.

The big difference in these, from AS, is that at least Amazon had the money to develop the stories it found in its on-line system. Here, you still have to do the whole build-a-fan-base, rep, producer, studio thing.

Self-publishing, and sites to load up your fan-fiction, have been around forever; ie. some of the earliest developments in the 90s on the web. But this seems to be nudging writers' hopes more toward movie fortune, from the outset. It's not just "Look Ma, I'm published!" any more.

As far as I'm concerned, this seems just another "pitch-fest" system that's attempting to cash in on the minuscule success-rate (ie. never-ending hope of the powerless).

Oh, and don't forget that the company owners hope it leads to that big IPO!
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:42 PM   #22
StoryWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
Meanwhile, pretend-Amazon Studios are still trying the crowd-writing thing:

http://www.cbc.ca/news...
Quote:
Wattpad is a story-writing platform with 65 million users worldwide, where anyone can self-publish books via the website or the app. Users can also read and comment on stories written by others.
Why have "users" comment -- why not have other apps comment on what the apps wrote?

I think the problem with what Amazon did (and what other people have done in the past) when they decide on democracy for screenplays is that democracy doesn't work, for screenplays.

Just about everybody in the world THINKS they can write a screenplay. For everyone like you who has put in the work and is at least on the edge of breaking through -- there's probably at least 2000 illiterates who KNOW they can do better than the last movie they just watched.

So the scripts you send in are buried in a massive sh*t pile that someone has got to sift through. And that means paying people to do the sifting, so they quickly lose interest.

Sure a few of your scripts may have floated near the top and somebody recognized there was something there, but by then (my guess) Amazon had had enough of script democracy, wasn't really looking anymore and had adopted a more conventional way to supply their screenplays.

Just my opinion. I hope I'm wrong and they decide to buy at least one of your scripts. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:56 PM   #23
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryWriter View Post
...Just my opinion. I hope I'm wrong and they decide to buy at least one of your scripts. Good luck.
Oh no, they're all through with mine, thanks. Passes on all. But, I still commend them for being so patient, given all the stuff I sent them. I've moved on though.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:09 PM   #24
spyder23

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
Oh no, they're all through with mine, thanks. Passes on all. But, I still commend them for being so patient, given all the stuff I sent them. I've moved on though.
They still haven't kicked either of mine out. Wasn't today the final day? It's been 13 months they've had both.
spyder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:51 AM   #25
ClintW3
Regular

This is out of curiosity, not angst: Did anyone with a project in "Deciding" phase get final results before Amazon Studios closed the website Saturday?

The site died with a TV pilot of mine in the "Deciding" phase and I'm assuming my prospects died with it.

Again, just curious.
ClintW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:29 AM   #26
Paracellsus
New User

Talking Re: Amazon Studios

Just tried to access my project and it says "page unavailable"
So...A pass then...after only 250 days!
Paracellsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:02 AM   #27
catcon

Yesterday, I'd checked my profile page:

https://studios.amazon.com/users/(your 5-digit #)

And it was all still there - faves, details, reviews - except for the multitude of projects. So, yep, they're all gone. I highly doubt, however, that they've all been stowed away in secret for future plagiarism. In fact, I'd like to think they do have them somewhere, along with my contact info, and they'll contact me directly if they ever wanted to see my latest. They did retain some of mine for 100+ days, with up to 5 downloads.

Anyway, I'm really, really glad I went through all of my projects in April, after the announcement, and copied out whatever details of my projects that I wanted to save; especially all those "synopses"; in most cases they were a bit shorter than the detailed things I'd already prepared for each of my specs.

Yesterday, I did write them to offer a 'thanks' for the opportunity - no need to burn bridges here - and also reminded them that I post all my screenplays as eBooks on their very own Kindle arm of Amazon.com - including two new ones since April. I also asked them for some direction as to how, exactly, we could pitch them, since I don't believe they'd ever told us explicitly that it would be via Agent, etc.

Here's their response - canned, of course, without any specifics to my questions:

Quote:
Message From Customer Service
Hello,
Thank you for contacting Amazon Studios, I hope this email finds you well.
Thank you so much for the kind words. We are glad that you enjoyed the program. While we will no longer accept new submissions, there are other options.
- Submit videos and scripts to film festivals at Withoutabox.com
- Publish your videos at Prime Video Direct
I hope you have a wonderful day.
To which I say...

Thanks for the Memories
Old 07-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #28
spyder23

Update: I have still never received a rejection email from AS on two projects that were in Deciding for 13 months before they shutdown submissions.

So I reached out to them via chat.

I was told my projects are still being reviewed.

Bottom line... even though all projects were removed from your profile page and they are no longer taking submissions as of June 30th 2018-- if you submitted anything prior to June 30th and you never got a rejection notice-- even to this day-- then they are still looking at them.

I had a buddy just email me that he just got a rejection this morning on a project they had for about 8 months. I'm going on 15 months now on both of mine so who knows.
spyder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:47 AM   #29
ClintW3
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder23 View Post
Update: I have still never received a rejection email from AS on two projects that were in Deciding for 13 months before they shutdown submissions.

So I reached out to them via chat.

I was told my projects are still being reviewed.

Bottom line... even though all projects were removed from your profile page and they are no longer taking submissions as of June 30th 2018-- if you submitted anything prior to June 30th and you never got a rejection notice-- even to this day-- then they are still looking at them.

I had a buddy just email me that he just got a rejection this morning on a project they had for about 8 months. I'm going on 15 months now on both of mine so who knows.

Thanks for this update. I've had a TV pilot in DECIDING phase since February and figured it was just a silent pass.

Good luck to the folks still waiting for a yes/no.
ClintW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:03 PM   #30
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder23 View Post
Bottom line... even though all projects were removed from your profile page and they are no longer taking submissions as of June 30th 2018-- if you submitted anything prior to June 30th and you never got a rejection notice-- even to this day-- then they are still looking at them...
New submissions were no longer accepted at April 13. The June 30 date was for "reviewed and evaluated" - and our profiles were cleared out on that date - but obviously they've found it necessary to extend it for the evaluation process.

So, if we choose to remain blindingly optimistic, we could think that their open submissions may open up again, after they've caught up. This happens on other open submission sites, such as (here are just two at the top of my head):

http://spectrevision.com/submissions
or
https://renfieldproductions.com

(I visit these monthly, just to see, since they don't advertise widely)