Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on spec?

I've been invited, for want of a better word, to write a spec for WB based on their notes/logline/concept and it's my first offer since my manager took my work out to the town. Although I know this method has led to paid work for some - just like free options have worked out for some - my natural inclination is to stay away. I'm happy to write for free on my spec stuff but I don't want to write for somebody else for free, including numerous revisions, especially with the strong possibility nothing will come of it (other than they take whatever ideas they like to another writer). I am also not going to be the only writer presented with this, either.

By and large (because there's always exceptions) is my attitude right? Is it fair to expect to be paid for work we do? That writers pandering to studio demands to write for free are just making the situation worse for other writers as it becomes established as the norm?

I love writing and would love to make it (or at least get a payday) but I am not desperate therefore I feel no urge to bend over backwards and leave myself wide open to be taken advantage of - which working for free and optioning for free does in my book. The -work for a chance to work for real- leverage is no leverage over me.

Am I right or am I need of a reality check?
    Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 02-25-2014, 04:27 AM.
    M.A.G.A.

Re: Working on spec?

I don't have any advice for you, but this thread reminded me about this:

Kinetic Typography - Harlan Ellison: Pay The Writer
    http://youtu.be/Lin_W1hsOwI

Comment

Tell them you do this for a living, haha.

Seriously though, it's definitely an annoying situation, and one that is very confusing to a writer. Personally I'd rather develop my own IP or tell them to actually hire you. Having you write an entire spec for free is weird. Do you have an agent? What do they think?
      Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

If this is actually Warner Bros. and you are troubled by this, then one option would be to contact the WGA. I'm told that they can be helpful on issues like this.

Comment

Sundown: If your manager is willing to allow you to work on spec for free -- especially if other writers are also being asked to give the project a shot -- maybe you need to have a serious chat with your manager, or find a new one.
          And I could be wrong, but I doubt that anyone legit at WB would ask anyone to write a full script on spec with no guarantee whatsoever. If I were you, I would check out the person doing the asking. It sounds suspect to me. Among other things, WB would be violating a basic principle of the WGA (that no one be asked to work for free), even though "free rewrites" from working pros has been a big issue over the last year or two.

Comment

Are you sure you were asked to write an actual spec? Were you just asked to write up a treatment? It's quite normal to do a treatment or an outline for free and then watch it disappear into the ether.
            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
              I’ve been invited, for want of a better word, to write a spec for WB based on their notes/logline/concept and it's my first offer since my manager took my work out to the town. Although I know this method has led to paid work for some – just like free options have worked out for some – my natural inclination is to stay away. I’m happy to write for free on my spec stuff but I don’t want to write for somebody else for free, including numerous revisions, especially with the strong possibility nothing will come of it (other than they take whatever ideas they like to another writer). I am also not going to be the only writer presented with this, either.

By and large (because there’s always exceptions) is my attitude right? Is it fair to expect to be paid for work we do? That writers pandering to studio demands to write for free are just making the situation worse for other writers as it becomes established as the norm?

I love writing and would love to make it (or at least get a payday) but I am not desperate therefore I feel no urge to bend over backwards and leave myself wide open to be taken advantage of – which working for free and optioning for free does in my book. The ”work for a chance to work for real” leverage is no leverage over me.

Am I right or am I need of a reality check?
              So do they want your "take on the material" or for you to go straight to script? Also, I'm assuming this is a studio based producer and not actual Warner Brothers, correct?

To answer your question, I don't think working on spec is a good idea. I met with a junior creative for a producer on the lot, and we discussed this very idea (on something I brought him) but I thanked him and passed on it.
              "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

Would be very surprised if this is for WB. Although there's definitely more and more free work being asked of people, I haven't heard a lot of stories about studios blatantly asking for spec drafts of ideas they own. It would open a legal can of worms for them on a lot of fronts.

More likely this is for a producer who is dangling WB as enticement for you to do work. Kind of impossible to give advice without more details...
                Last edited by JeffLowell; 02-25-2014, 10:20 PM. Reason: changed friends to fronts. bad f'ing typo

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                  Would be very surprised if this is for WB. Although there's definitely more and more free work being asked of people, I haven't heard a lot of stories about studios blatantly asking for spec drafts of ideas they own. It would open a legal can of worms for them on a lot of friends.

More likely this is for a producer who is dangling WB as enticement for you to do work. Kind of impossible to give advice without more details...
                  Perfect response.

Comment

Unless you're absolutely crazy about the idea AND this producer is totally legit. with feature credits AND you don't have any other pressing/more interesting prospects at the moment, I'd say no.

Comment

I'm thinking she meant WB based producer, yes?

Look, it's a tough situation. I've been in it. I elected to not spec for free. I did consider the "job", read the treatment from the director and producer and it didn't grab me. Had it REALLY grabbed me, possibly - had it looked like a straight shot to production, possibly - but the reality is there's no guarantees and not a lot of protection in this scenario. The project was also so big in scope, it looked like something that would take a lot of development to get right. The possibility of other writers being brought on just isn't something you can control. And for those reasons, and the fact that I think there's inherent value to me, as in, use discretionary funds to hire me if you want me - I passed.

I'm sure they found someone to do it for free, just not me. And truthfully, I probably would pass on 99% of these scenarios, barring who is attached if anyone (an A-list director/actor?) and if I love the premise and could see it getting produced.

What you're proposing and what I'm talking about is also not the same situation as Laeta Kalogridis for example, who as I understand did a spec of Shutter Island, but was also a producer on the project and pursued Scorsese afterwards. To stay on as a producer and produce, I may do it. Though Kalogridis was an executive producer. But this is a tangent.

If you want to develop something with a certain producer on spec, I think a much better scenario is if the idea is generated by you, with an understanding that if it doesn't work out, the work is yours. You are, after all, doing the lion's share (if not all) of the work.

Comment

I don't understand how this scenario even works. Do you sign an option agreement before writing and when you're done, if they don't buy then you get to keep it? Or do they make you sign something where you don't get anything even if they don't want to buy it?

Comment

This happens a lot with prodco's that have studio deals. Studios can't ask for free work. Prodco's can. So they do. A lot. Especially from new writers.

The excuses are vast and impressive. But at it's foundation, their motivation is to place the risk further down the pipeline. Not upon themselves but upon the writers doing work for free with the small glimmer of hope that it will lead to future pay.

It might. And it has. Examples being F. Scott Frazier's LINE OF SIGHT and even the recent SAVING MR. BANKS by Kelly Marcel. I'm blanking on others but I know there are more.

But even with those few examples, there are far, FAR more that fall between the cracks and are forgotten. And who does it affect? The prodco's who ask for free work and dangle that glimmer of hope in front of hungry writers? Or the hungry writers who are never compensated for the free work they do?

You know the answer.

To me, there are times when you can consider free work very seriously. I've come close to doing it once, but only because I could say yes to these requirements:

1.) Do you love the idea and believe in your ability to execute it?

2.) Do you love the idea of working with the people involved?

3.) Do you believe in their passion for this project and in their ability to do something with it?

4.) Do you feel this experience will allow you to grow as a writer, whether you are ultimately paid or not?

If you can't answer yes to all four of those requirements, it's a flat no. If you can, I'd sit down and see if you can come up with a short outline. If they don't like your approach, fine. If they do, you need to determine whether you're willing to give 2+ months of your life to this.

It's ultimately up to you. Trust your gut.

Comment

Don't do it. You already know the answer. How much would you respect someone who worked for you for 4 months for free without even a copyright to show for it?

I would also question the idea that this manager is actually working for you. The feeling I get about a lot of reps who take on new writers is that they do nothing but keep the free labor mills stocked with hopefuls churning out drafts until somewhere, someday, money changes hands. Then they get paid, or become producers.

Comment

My partner and I did this last year for a pretty big producer. I WILL NEVER do it again.

Comment

Working...
                              X