Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Unrepped Writers Seeking Representation

As of late I've been getting very frustrated on what to do in sending my material to the right people that could "possibly" give me a start. I've read from different sources that one way a newbie could receive some attention from a manager or an agent; is to enter your material into contests or upload on sites like The Black List. And I get that is one way. Another outlet, which I have used in the past, is Virtual Pitchfest. I did receive some responses from the different queries I've sent out requesting to read my script. Nothing came of it, but I was grateful for the chance.

My question is, it seems that the only way to query people these days is through third-party websites? Or making it into the semi or quarter-finals in some competition?

Or do some people still accept the 'good ole days' type of querying via email or a stamped envelope?

Thanks for your responses.

Re: For Unrepped Writers Seeking Representation

There's plenty of reps out there (managers, especially) that are still responsive to the blind email query.

Comment

Is IMdB a good source to look up for contact information?

Comment

I think it's a better use of time to try to get your script read by producers instead of representatives. I've gotten an 8 on the blacklist and to the semifinals of Austin but rarely had any interest from reps. On the other hand, I was able to get the attention of established producers and directors based on just a log line.

I've been read by a handful of managers over the years and my interactions with them always gave me the impression that they were just interested in the marketability of the script they were reading rather than any long term relationship with me as a writer. This makes me think that it's better to skip the middle men if you don't have connections and are just sending blind queries.

Comment

There's a VirtualPitchFest thread (they have some good deals today, BTW, at VPF.com) and one poster said it's best there to pitch to the agents, rather than the producers.

It's been a while since I personally have been able to afford VPF, and I've only ever done the producers-thing myself, but I do see the point.

Since they're listing themselves there, one might assume that you can catch their eye with a specific goal of "client representation" rather than "script representation".

Comment

Originally posted by Scene70 View Post
            Is IMdB a good source to look up for contact information?
            Yes. IMDBPro, here on the DDP boards, Google, etc is a great way to find contact info, or at least email structure of their companies. Also check out BlackList for current, relevant manager and agent names. Managers are likely the better focus though, as they're quite a bit more receptive to queries. Agents over the years are becoming more and more... tricky. They really just want a quick sale, with as little work as possible.

As for ScreenRider's feedback, I'd say do both. Pursue your own connections to producers, but also search for a representative. Because having someone in your corner will be highly beneficial.

Comment

The trick to getting repped is development executives. Target them for your queries, and if you get interest from any of them, keep that relationship alive. Once they're officially a fan, ask them if they know a rep who might be a good match for you, then get a referral. You have a much better chance of a rep reading your script if an exec is vouching for you.
              https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
              http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. I will definitely take a look into your suggestions.

Just trying to do what I can and see where it leads to.

Comment

Working...
                X