No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl semifinal round judging now complete

Originally posted by AlexNoa View Post
    Just heard that person's sending around the newest Nicholl scripts.

Now I really hate to drag him into this discussion, but if I were a Nicholl qf and on, I'd be VERY angry if my script were reviewed online without my permission on a public blog, especially from someone with questionable taste, has not liked past Nicholl scripts (who had been passed up by many Nicholl PROFESSIONAL readers), thereby possibly ruining my chances of a sale/or representation after years of blood, sweat, and many, many tears.

And no, I would not need said person to help the my and my script's chances at all. The Nicholl stands alone.
    How does he get the scripts in the first place? And surely he can't have access to all 300 plus scripts that made the QFs and up.

Comment

Would you look at that, he-who-won't-be-named can't do whatever he pleases.
      A little birdie told me Greg sent "him" a stern letter telling him to stand down and not distribute any Nicholl scripts.

Once again, Greg proves that he is the man!
      "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Originally posted by P-jay View Post
        How does he get the scripts in the first place? And surely he can't have access to all 300 plus scripts that made the QFs and up.
        Seems to me that "he" is friends with some of the Nicholl readers who've saved and then shared the pdf files with him.
        "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Good to hear, JoJo. Instead of watermarking, there must be some other way to mark a script like when you open a file and look at its properties, or like music files that tell you what album the song is from.

Comment

Originally posted by MWer View Post
            I'm a loooongtime lurker and very infrequent poster, but I'm thrilled to say I received a call this morning. After 10 years of entering, this year... I'm a finalist.
            Congratulations MWer! This is year eight for me in entering Nicholl. Two more years to go.

Comment

Good to hear, JoJo. Instead of watermarking, there must be some other way to mark a script like when you open a file and look at its properties, or like music files that tell you what album the song is from.
              Yes, it would be nice if there was some kind of technology that would trace the file back to the file sharer.... hopefully Greg putting the kibosh on the scripts being posted by SS will send a message to the readers who are sending them to SS.

Comment

I think it would be easy to secure a PDF. You can't connect to the Internet without a user's permission (in Acrobat Reader), but you can hide content programmatically. So, just hide the content until the user allows the file to connect to the web and log the IP address etc...

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
                  Seems to me that "he" is friends with some of the Nicholl readers who've saved and then shared the pdf files with him.
                  Like some others who post on DD, you're making things up.

Various drafts of all of the Nicholl finalist scripts, at least one draft from 2007, have appeared on tracking boards. I suspect that was SS's source, directly or indirectly.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                    Like some others who post on DD, you're making things up.

Various drafts of all of the Nicholl finalist scripts, at least one draft from 2007, have appeared on tracking boards. I suspect that was SS's source, directly or indirectly.
                    Well, that's quite an insulting tone..

I know as an absolute fact that one of the finalist scripts in question never appeared on a tracking board, and has never been posted publicly, anywhere....

Comment

There are dozens of private tracking boards. How could someone know what is and isn't posted on them?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                        There are dozens of private tracking boards. How could someone know what is and isn't posted on them?
                        If you knew the finalist personally, and they said they had never uploaded their script to any tracking board, would that settle the matter? But then I think you'd probably also have to know that the finalist also hadn't entered that script in any contest other than Nicholl.

I guess even that isn't an absolute guarantee, because the Finalists get read requests, and the scripts go out to various places, so that would be another source for SS.

Anyway, thanks Greg for doing something to stop this.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
                          Well, that's quite an insulting tone..

I know as an absolute fact that one of the finalist scripts in question never appeared on a tracking board, and has never been posted publicly, anywhere....
                          And you would be wrong. PDF copies of versions of all of the Nicholl finalist scripts were forwarded to us by a development person who found them (or links to them) on a single tracking board.

Comment

Now I really hate to drag him into this discussion, but if I were a Nicholl qf and on, I'd be VERY angry if my script were reviewed online without my permission on a public blog, especially from someone with questionable taste, has not liked past Nicholl scripts (who had been passed up by many Nicholl PROFESSIONAL readers), thereby possibly ruining my chances of a sale/or representation after years of blood, sweat, and many, many tears.
                            Interesting view considering just a week ago you posted a speculative comment about a major spoiler in a finalist script...

Comment

C'mon Greg - how dare you question one of Jojo's posts.

Comment

It's possible to track PDFs, I saw it with an investment bank that kept having its research reports pop up on Scribd. The program would stamp a barcode on the last page of the PDF with the user's computer info (MAC, IP, computer name, etc) embedded in it. That being said it was some Oracle program, not basic Adobe. Also I believe the bank changed its Terms of Service and added some boilerplate stuff in the disclaimers. Not practical for screenwriting...

Good catch Greg. Good luck to Nicholl QF/SF/Fs getting read.
                                "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

Working...
                                X