Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody submitted to Austin this year?

Seeing as today is the late deadline for the Austin Film Festival Screenplay, Teleplay, and Short Screenplay competitions, I figured it'd be interesting to see who's submitted this year. Anyone?

I've got a one-hour TV pilot in the Teleplay competition. I submitted it early April, though, so it's old news.

Re: Anybody submitted to Austin this year?

Yes, I submitted this year. I re-entered a script that got to the second round last year. Hopefully the rewrite and I did will help it get further this year! Good luck to you with your script.

Comment

I was going to enter and have been polishing up a script especially for it. With it saying $50 entry, I had saved just enough money to cover it. I filled out the online form, but then wtf, it suddenly said $75... An extra $20 for the horror category, and also an extra $5 for online submission. I didn't have the extra $25, so couldn't enter. Gutted... But good luck to those who have...

Comment

Originally posted by omjs View Post
        Seeing as today is the late deadline for the Austin Film Festival Screenplay, Teleplay, and Short Screenplay competitions, I figured it'd be interesting to see who's submitted this year. Anyone?
        I submitted a feature a few days ago. Last minute decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Strangerthanfiction View Post
          I was going to enter and have been polishing up a script especially for it. With it saying $50 entry, I had saved just enough money to cover it. I filled out the online form, but then wtf, it suddenly said $75... An extra $20 for the horror category, and also an extra $5 for online submission. I didn't have the extra $25, so couldn't enter. Gutted... But good luck to those who have...
          You can still submit horror in the drama category for $50 + $5 fee, the $20 horror award is extra for special consideration by a production company. Under drama, it says: The category is open but not limited to feature drama scripts in genres such as historical, western, family, romance, horror, thriller, etc."

Check out the "5 things before you submit" info on the site.

Comment

I entered in the Comedy Feature, Short, and Scripted Digital Series categories. Fingers crossed.

Comment

I got the second screenplay sent off to the pot on Wed. the 18th. Both entered are drama/horror. I was worried I wasn't going to make it with the second one, but I buckled down and finished on time...that is why I have been absent from the DD boards for awhile now. Writing, writing, writing. Hope to see some DDers at Austin in October
              Looking for some light, and making things beautiful along the way.

Comment

I entered with a horror feature, a drama feature, and a short this year. Got into second round a couple years ago with a sitcom spec. I'll probably go this year even if I don't advance because it's such a great experience--I've learned a ton the two other times I've gone. Good luck everyone!

Comment

I'm in with a drama. May go, if I advance at all.

Comment

Is the Austin Film Festival really as big as all the hype on the internet? I'm not saying that it's not, I just don't know. You always hear about Nicholl and Page but Austin is always listed near the top and I don't really understand why other than it's been around for a long time. Does anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by MJG123 View Post
                      Is the Austin Film Festival really as big as all the hype on the internet? I'm not saying that it's not, I just don't know. You always hear about Nicholl and Page but Austin is always listed near the top and I don't really understand why other than it's been around for a long time. Does anyone know?
                      I met Shane Black last year. Not sure where that falls on the hype continuum.

I've attended the screenwriters conference--which is part of the Austin Film Festival--twice, both times because one of my scripts placed in the contest. The event is crowded and overpowering. It's also energizing and a tremendous opportunity to network. If one of my projects places this year (I've entered several) I'll go again.

I'm not sure how the contest portion stacks up against say the Nicholl. It's probably not as prestigious, but placing at Austin is certainly better than winning first place at somewhere like the Des Moines Film Festival.

~Dixon

Comment

The Austin Film Festival is that big of a deal.
                        I've been 11 out of the last 12 years. (The year I didn't go I vowed I'd never make that mistake again.)

One big reason, if you're looking for differences: In addition to the (obvious) wonderful treatment AFF 2nd rounders, semi-finalists, etc. receive, I meet a lot of people who attend because they are Page QuarterFinalists and Nicholl Quarterfinalists -- they find they can talk about their success on the internet and send queries but beyond that, where do they go? What do they do? There's no festival for them. So they come to AFF.

There are other conferences -- those LA Screenwriting Expos, the Great American Pitchfest, etc. (That 3 Rivers thing in Pittsburg looks good.) But AFF tends to focus on the writing/craft more than the selling. There are more actual screenwriters than screenwriting gurus. The panels are amazing - so many great ones now that often I find are often more than three panels at one given time that I want to attend. I had to skip the Richard Kelly time travel panel, just to give an example. (Fortunately, AFF has a podcast and TV show - On Story - and you can catch up on what you missed.)

The atmosphere is relaxed, the food is good, the people are nice, the alcohol is free, the weather is warm and there are rooms full of screenwriters and film geeks who want to talk about screenwriting and film.

You may not meet an agent or a producer (although some people do) but you'll make friends and learn stuff and take it all in.

It's worth the price of the badge -- tons of panels, parties, movies, etc. and I'm a pretty stingy person.

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
                          The Austin Film Festival is that big of a deal.
                          I've been 11 out of the last 12 years. (The year I didn't go I vowed I'd never make that mistake again.)
                          I understand the festival is a great opportunity for networking and learning opportunities, but I think MJG123 was really asking about the competition. Specifically, how does it stack up with Nicholl and PAGE in terms of generating interest from managers and agents. We've heard of several success stories for those two contests, but not so much with Austin.

Would love for anyone who's had success with Austin in that regard (getting represented, getting options/sales) to chime in.
                          "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

I send in a lotto ticket or two every year

And know someone who got repped as a second-rounder, so it does happen.

Comment

The origins of the AFF competition's rep (I think the story goes something like this):

In 1994, the first year of the competition, conference and festival, Max Adams learned she won a Nicholl Fellowship on a Tuesday with My Back Yard and then Austin on that Friday with Excess Baggage. At Austin, she met CAA agent Jon Levin and Barry Josephson, the President of Production at Columbia. On the following Tuesday, Max signed with CAA. A week later, the script sold to Columbia.

Comment

Working...
                              X