Is there a better time than others to querie?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a better time than others to querie?

Hi all,

Maybe I'm over-thinking this whole thing, but is there a better time of the week to send out emails.

Seems to me that people could be mentally checked out on Fridays, but at the same time the town is typically fairly slow at this time.

On Mondays are people too busy catching up?

Thanks,

Re: Is there a better time than others to querie?

I think you should always strategize when you can. I work in a prod company so I get queries but want to write so I send them as well. Time of day, what day, logline, blurb about you all of that factors in. I'm less likely to read something that was sent overnight cause that will just get deleted along with spam in the morning. You gotta look at this business as a tug of war against thousands of others for attention. Anything you can use to your advantage, use it...

Comment

Originally posted by cjevy View Post
      I think you should always strategize when you can. I work in a prod company so I get queries but want to write so I send them as well. Time of day, what day, logline, blurb about you all of that factors in. I'm less likely to read something that was sent overnight cause that will just get deleted along with spam in the morning. You gotta look at this business as a tug of war against thousands of others for attention. Anything you can use to your advantage, use it...
      Excellent advice. Dare I ask what company you work for, and what types of material? Feel free to PM me to keep it more secure....

Comment

If I want to query someone, I see if they have twitter and check their feed, follow them for a couple of weeks. Often they'll mention their querying pet peeves or preferences.

Comment

Do NOT waste your time checking their Twitter to see if they have any 'pet peeves' - that's ridiculous and a complete waste of your time ('a couple of weeks' - ouch.)

Mondays are usually busy days and weekends are bad - but that being said, I've gotten responses from queries during both of those times.

Query whenever you feel - the only thing that counts is the quality of the logline - that's ALL that matters.

K

Comment

I personally never query outside of 9 am-6 PM Monday through Friday. I have no idea if someone has alerts of some kind set up on their phone when they get a message, and so I don't want to inadvertently piss them off if that's the case.

I had my phone set up to get work-related alerts at my last job, and let me tell you, I was ready to kill that mother****ing vendor that sent a meeting invitation Saturday at 7 a.m.
            writertypepeople.tumblr.com
            twitter.com/susanlbridges
            pendantaudio.com

Comment

Don't query on the weekends. I don't care if someone occasionally has a success story of it working out, the vast majority of people find it rude and intrusive (me being one of them). You have to remember, everyone has smart phones, so that email is interrupting our weekends. Do you really want to interrupt me playing golf on a Saturday with a query letter? Probably not.

So, query Mon - Fri.

Best,

MB
              twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

MichaelB,
                Don't you set your phone email exchange to go offline at 5pm Fri so you never have to worry about it going off?
                EJ

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
                  MichaelB,
                  Don't you set your phone email exchange to go offline at 5pm Fri so you never have to worry about it going off?
                  EJ
                  If it is like most businesses, I am sure important things still happen on weekends--queries not being one of those "things."

Comment

Working...
                  X