Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Elusive Exec

Hey all, getting a bit frustrated over here, so I wanted to share my experience to see if this is Hollynormal: I submitted my script to a high ranking exec in a management/production company. Three weeks went by, so I sent a follow up email asking if he had a chance to read. His response, "I did. Would love to get on the phone to discuss." In those three weeks the script had undergone some changes, so I sent him the newest draft, pointed out the differences that elevated the story, and gave him my number. Another two weeks went by - silence - so I sent another email asking if he had a chance to peek at the revisions and if he was still interested in discussing the script. His response, "yes, I did. Happy to discuss. You want to come into our offices? Are you around the week of the 25th?" I live in NYC, so I asked if a phone call would work. "Absolutely." We arranged to speak at 6PM yesterday, but 6PM came and went without a call or an email saying he needed to postpone. It's getting a bit frustrating chasing him around like this, I would assume if he was truly interested in the script I wouldn't need to stay on him. Has anyone had a similar experience? Is this the norm in Hollywood land?

Also, if I ever get around to speaking with him, what are some questions I can anticipate he'll ask?
    FADE IN:
    PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
    NEVER FADE OUT.

Re: The Elusive Exec

I would give this busy bozo one more shot. If he still can't make the time to speak to you, then move on.
    http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
      I would give this busy bozo one more shot. If he still can't make the time to speak to you, then move on.
      That's what I was thinking as well. It's just not an easy thing to do for the unrepresented writer who can't get read.
      FADE IN:
      NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Originally posted by Jai Brandon View Post
        Hey all, getting a bit frustrated over here, so I wanted to share my experience to see if this is Hollynormal: I submitted my script to a high ranking exec in a management/production company. Three weeks went by, so I sent a follow up email asking if he had a chance to read. His response, "I did. Would love to get on the phone to discuss." In those three weeks the script had undergone some changes, so I sent him the newest draft, pointed out the differences that elevated the story, and gave him my number. Another two weeks went by - silence - so I sent another email asking if he had a chance to peek at the revisions and if he was still interested in discussing the script. His response, "yes, I did. Happy to discuss. You want to come into our offices? Are you around the week of the 25th?" I live in NYC, so I asked if a phone call would work. "Absolutely." We arranged to speak at 6PM yesterday, but 6PM came and went without a call or an email saying he needed to postpone. It's getting a bit frustrating chasing him around like this, I would assume if he was truly interested in the script I wouldn't need to stay on him. Has anyone had a similar experience? Is this the norm in Hollywood land?

Also, if I ever get around to speaking with him, what are some questions I can anticipate he'll ask?
        He got busy. He was on another call that took too long. He forgot. His wife or family had demands. Doesn't matter. If he's a busy working producer his time is prioritized and new writers are at the bottom of the list. And your attitude right now is mega-important to your success. Your understanding of his situation, whatever it was, is key.

Producer don't just buy scripts, they also buy the writer. And your attitude. I'd wait until Monday and send a friendly email not saying ANYTHING about him not calling, but asking nicely if sometime this week works for him. And thanking him for his interest in your script. Short, sweet, polite, and professional.

And it doesn't matter what questions he'll ask. Just answer them honestly. And maintain a business, not emotional, attitude. That will put you miles ahead of other writers in the same situation.

Comment

The above advice is correct - give him another shot, then move on.

However, you did something I'd advise against. Sending an exec a new draft of a script he just read (before you've even discussed the old one) isn't a good move. He may feel you wasted his time by sending him something you knew wasn't ready (since you made significant changes while he was reading). Few execs read the same script twice - I'd be very surprised if he did. Maybe that's why he didn't show up for the call. So yes, try him one more time, but don't assume he read both drafts. Good luck!
          https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
          http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Thanks for the advice, guys, really appreciated. And Ed's right - my emotions must be held in check, no matter how frustrating it feels. Also should've waited before sending the new draft, but it's possible he only read the summarization of changes rather than the actual script. But yes, this could've been addressed in our conversation, if/when that ever takes place.
            FADE IN:
            NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

For calls like this, make sure you schedule it through the assistant, NOT through the exec. So, if he agrees to a call over email, ask him for his assistant's email so you can coordinate. Otherwise, the call may never make it on the calendar.

The assistant will usually confirm the call/meeting the day before or the day of, but if they don't, reach out to them and confirm it yourself. You essentially need to be your own personal assistant to make sure that you don't slip through the scheduling cracks.

Also make sure that it's clear who is calling who. Usually, the exec will be the one to initiate the call, but always makes sure.

You may have done all of the above, and it sucks that even with all that planning, scheduling still falls apart. But always be pleasant, always be accessible, and aways keep pushing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunker View Post
                For calls like this, make sure you schedule it through the assistant, NOT through the exec. So, if he agrees to a call over email, ask him for his assistant's email so you can coordinate. Otherwise, the call may never make it on the calendar.

The assistant will usually confirm the call/meeting the day before or the day of, but if they don't, reach out to them and confirm it yourself. You essentially need to be your own personal assistant to make sure that you don't slip through the scheduling cracks.

Also make sure that it's clear who is calling who. Usually, the exec will be the one to initiate the call, but always makes sure.

You may have done all of the above, and it sucks that even with all that planning, scheduling still falls apart. But always be pleasant, always be accessible, and aways keep pushing.
                Thanks, Bunker. Sound advice. I've just been dealing with him directly, never thought to ask for his assistant's info. The planned phone call was supposed to be the next day, 3PM west coast time. You did say something I should've clarified from the beginning - be clear about who's calling who. He never game me his number, so I assumed he'd be making the call. You know what they say about assuming... Ed said he'd wait until Monday before sending a follow up email and wouldn't speak at all about the missed call. Oops. I sent an email later that night:
                We missed our connection earlier. I'm free this weekend, if not, then early next week works as well.
                I'll admit it doesn't read as friendly as my previous emails. If he responds, maybe it'd be smart to ask for his contact number.
                FADE IN:
                NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Originally posted by ProfessorChomp View Post
                  The above advice is correct - give him another shot, then move on.

However, you did something I'd advise against. Sending an exec a new draft of a script he just read (before you've even discussed the old one) isn't a good move. He may feel you wasted his time by sending him something you knew wasn't ready (since you made significant changes while he was reading). Few execs read the same script twice - I'd be very surprised if he did. Maybe that's why he didn't show up for the call. So yes, try him one more time, but don't assume he read both drafts. Good luck!
                  +1. Spot on advice by Ed, per usual. Look, these guys are incredibly busy. It's not personal or a blow-off...sometimes other things take precedent and come up last second. It's vexing, sure...but it's just the nature of the beast.

And absolutely concur with Chomp. If he likes and wants to discuss the script you sent, why muck it up by sending a new draft? There is no better outcome...the only thing that can come from that is bad...there's literally zero upside to it. Even if your revised version is improved, it makes him second guess the quality of your first one (which he liked!), and also comes off a bit amateurish, unfortunately. Not saying he'll change his mind and not want to discuss because of that...but for future reference...

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                    +1. Spot on advice by Ed, per usual. Look, these guys are incredibly busy. It's not personal or a blow-off...sometimes other things take precedent and come up last second. It's vexing, sure...but it's just the nature of the beast.

And absolutely concur with Chomp. If he likes and wants to discuss the script you sent, why muck it up by sending a new draft? There is no better outcome...the only thing that can come from that is bad...there's literally zero upside to it. Even if your revised version is improved, it makes him second guess the quality of your first one (which he liked!), and also comes off a bit amateurish, unfortunately. Not saying he'll change his mind and not want to discuss because of that...but for future reference...
                    In my mind I thought "if he liked the version I sent him, he'll LOVE this new one!" Wasn't thinking of how it appeared. I learned from this and won't do something like that again. Would've been much better to discuss what he wanted to discuss and then spring the new changes on him in the phone call. I've been writing for nearly 6 years now, but I'm still all new to this
                    FADE IN:
                    NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

In my mind I thought "if he liked the version I sent him, he'll LOVE this new one!" Wasn't thinking of how it appeared. I learned from this and won't do something like that again. Would've been much better to discuss what he wanted to discuss and then spring the new changes on him in the phone call. I've been writing for nearly 6 years now, but I'm still all new to this
                      I understand your approach and why you did it...good news is, I doubt it will dissuade him from wanting to speak with you, so likely no serious harm done. Let us know how it goes!

Comment

Ed said he'd wait until Monday before sending a follow up email and wouldn't speak at all about the missed call. Oops. I sent an email later that night.
                        Ok. Producers DON'T work weekends with new writers. That's a weekday occurrence. Plus if he'd wanted you to have his number he would have given it to you. Don't ask for it. When they want you to have it, you'll get it. And the real ones don't schedule things they don't mean to do. They don't have to. This guy could have passed on your script much easier. So trust he's true to his word. And stop contacting him so much.

I was at a party in LA at the LA film fest more than a month ago and met a genuine A list producer. We shook hands. Quick chit chat that ended in a 30 minute discussion in a corner. He said, "Get ahold of me and we'll schedule an appointment." And disappeared into the crowd without letting me know how. So... I called a friend at a big production company and got him to get me the Producer's email. And Emailed. It said, "A huge pleasure meeting you the other night. Would love to come see you anytime you want. Thank you again." That was it... Plus my contact info.

Crickets. Nothing. Two weeks. Did I email again? Nope. I know he's busy. There was a 4th of July weekend in there. Did I think he was blowing me off? Nope. The appointment was his idea. A month had passed.... Then... Email from his assistant giving me three dates to choose from, all coveted 2pm slots. Not 4:30 when they need to leave quickly. Not 11:30 where they have to go to lunch soon. I chose one that worked for me and I'm on for next week. With a confirming email from the producer himself. Trust people. Pros follow through. It does take a while. But they stop if you bug them too much because they don't want to work with people who do that.

Comment

I love stories like that, Ed. It helps to put things into perspective. I've already decided to let yesterday's email be the last one I send. If he's truly interested and wasn't wasting my time, I'll hear from him at some point. Maybe Monday, maybe in two weeks, or maybe a month from now. I'm just going to continue as though I never made that contact and push to get the script into the hands of others. If the story is as good as I believe it is, it'll find another interested exec. Thanks for the helpful advice!
                          FADE IN:
                          NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

If anyone's interested in taking a peek at said script, here's the first act:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/lekjft

TITLE: Whispers from the Watchtower
                            GENRE: Mystery
                            LOGLINE: The host of a skeptic/debunking radio show works alongside a reluctant psychic in a last ditch attempt to find his missing daughter.
                            FADE IN:
                            NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

If anyone's interested in taking a peek at said script, here's the first act:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/lekjft

TITLE: Whispers from the Watchtower
                              GENRE: Mystery
                              LOGLINE: The host of a skeptic/debunking radio show works alongside a reluctant psychic in a last ditch attempt to find his missing daughter.
                              For what it's worth, sounds like a cool script.

Comment

Working...
                              X