Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do all agents have access?

I know that getting a manager doesn't mean much if that manager has no significant access or connections in the business, but are agents any different? Would even a low level agent be able to get my script to the right people or at least be better than no agent at all?

Re: Do all agents have access?

This is a relationships business. Everybody has their own unique set of relationships. Good agents will see part of their job as developing the relationships they need to sell your script - agents love it when they have a great script to use as a way to get to know an exec.

Comment

I would say no, not all agents have access, because if you're talking about "all" agents, that includes those operating outside of LA and NY, who are so far outside the loop that they can't help you.

But as long as the agent is at an agency in town and represents working writers (some fringe agents don't; you'd be better off unrepped), I'd say in all likelihood they would have the requisite access. Of course, agents are generally not in the business of selling scripts from unknown writers. Most commonly they are the people who swoop in when a deal is in place, collect a fee for the sale that was put together by your manager/producer/whoever, and then try to get you hired for assignments, get you staffed, etc. So if you're trying to land your first deal, targeting managers would likely still be the best route. Agents at prestigious companies almost always have huge client lists they need to service and simply don't have time to break a new writer, unless the writer has heat from a festival, contest, or success in another medium like theater.

Comment

Thank you for the reply, guys. I'll keep querying.

Comment

Working...
        X