Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 04:46 AM   #41
MacGuffin
Regular

Default Re: Latest Writer's Store/Insider 15 page Contest

Congrats, Anagram! Sounds like you're going to enjoy the process. Hope you win :>)
MacGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #42
itsallgood
User

Congrats! Sounds like a fun experience. Even if you don't win, it was very valuable time spent. I'm going to keep entering this thing because what you get as a finalist is so unique.
itsallgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:05 AM   #43
Anagram

Thanks guys.

I'm hoping for the best but the competition looks fierce.
Anagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #44
Jai Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
Thanks guys.

I'm hoping for the best but the competition looks fierce.
No "buts." The first step to accomplishing something great is BELIEVING you can accomplish something great. If you believe, you can achieve. Erase all doubts. The confidence will come across in your work.
Jai Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:14 AM   #45
Anagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai Brandon View Post
No "buts." The first step to accomplishing something great is BELIEVING you can accomplish something great. If you believe, you can achieve. Erase all doubts. The confidence will come across in your work.
Thanks Jai.

Just wanted to post another interesting thing I learned. The pages got chosen as much for the concept as for the style of writing.

They liked how I wrote the pages, and that was a big part of why they chose them.

Last edited by Anagram : 12-13-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Anagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #46
dave22
Regular

Default Re: latest writer's store/insider 15 page contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
I may do this after all, since I now have about two more weeks. Do any think that it might be a strike against a resulting script, if you base it on this log line, and then are not one of the finalists, but complete the script anyway?

I suppose there could be five hundred scripts suddenly looking for producers based on the same log line, after the contest is over.
My writing partner and I won the Randall Wallace Round. The key to the contest is to make the idea your own. Our completed script now has a different logline than the one provided. The original logline is eventually treated more as a tone for the screenplay. You can see how radically different all the ideas are here:

http://www.writersstore.com/system/0...list-Pages.pdf

There is a new round out now with Edward Saxon (producer of Philadelphia and Silence of the Lambs). I encourage anyone to enter. The mentor program is worth it alone and made us better writers. Now we are getting reads and exposure.
dave22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #47
Bairn_Writer
Regular

Congrats Dave, keep us posted on your journey from here, after The Disciple Program would be good to hear of someone else moving to the next level through things like this.

I do get the impression with this competition that they are looking for compelling ideas as opposed to people slavishly following the logline.
Bairn_Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #48
dave22
Regular

Thanks Bairn, it has been a great experience. We actually head down to LA in a few weeks for our meetings, for which we are equal parts nervous and excited. It is a bit surreal because my writing partner and I are actually best friends from college and we bonded over our love of Braveheart, so it still doesn't seem real that we're having lunch with Randall Wallace.

And you are right about the contest in that they are looking for fresh takes. When we first read the Randall Wallace logline our first instinct was that 85% of the entries would be about Iraq or Afghanistan. Of those, a great amount could probably be counted on to be about a guy (or gal) who actually died in battle and is now in purgatory until he (or she) can set something right. So we discarded that and actually decided to go with a fantasy world that we had on the shelf and put the story into that.

Once you are in the mentor program you are free to explore the story however you want. Ours still fits the original premise, but it is not THE premise (one of the characters is a special soldier who can never go home again due to the position he accepted and is still attached to his trainer, so he is in limbo). We totally buried the lead and then head faked to make it look like the other character is the lead. So, really, let your mind run wild.
dave22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #49
ChristopherCurtis
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave22 View Post
Thanks Bairn, it has been a great experience. We actually head down to LA in a few weeks for our meetings, for which we are equal parts nervous and excited. It is a bit surreal because my writing partner and I are actually best friends from college and we bonded over our love of Braveheart, so it still doesn't seem real that we're having lunch with Randall Wallace.

And you are right about the contest in that they are looking for fresh takes. When we first read the Randall Wallace logline our first instinct was that 85% of the entries would be about Iraq or Afghanistan. Of those, a great amount could probably be counted on to be about a guy (or gal) who actually died in battle and is now in purgatory until he (or she) can set something right. So we discarded that and actually decided to go with a fantasy world that we had on the shelf and put the story into that.

Once you are in the mentor program you are free to explore the story however you want. Ours still fits the original premise, but it is not THE premise (one of the characters is a special soldier who can never go home again due to the position he accepted and is still attached to his trainer, so he is in limbo). We totally buried the lead and then head faked to make it look like the other character is the lead. So, really, let your mind run wild.
this is exciting stuff, happy for you and congrats. we need more positive,uplifting stories and vibe around here, less negativity, snide remarks and comments, and bullies (we all know who they are)

this is awesome..GO GET EM AND MY ADVICE TO YOU...

don't overthink it..just go in there and as the old adage goes...just "be yourself", that's partly the reason you are there in the first place.....
Old 01-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #50
finalact4

Default Re: latest writer's store/insider 15 page contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave22 View Post
My writing partner and I won the Randall Wallace Round. The key to the contest is to make the idea your own. Our completed script now has a different logline than the one provided. The original logline is eventually treated more as a tone for the screenplay. You can see how radically different all the ideas are here:

http://www.writersstore.com/system/0...list-Pages.pdf

There is a new round out now with Edward Saxon (producer of Philadelphia and Silence of the Lambs). I encourage anyone to enter. The mentor program is worth it alone and made us better writers. Now we are getting reads and exposure.
The new logline has a lot of potential. Keep us posted both of you on your expeience. Anagram, I'm expecially interested in the process for you as it happens.

Good luck to all of you,
FA4
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote