Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2019, 05:07 PM   #21
finalact4

Default Re: Reformatting from left-justified

this is so interesting. my sci-fi action thriller clocks in at about 195/124.

this is how distance, time and experience changes you even within a few scripts.

this script started at 128 my manager at the time thought it was a bit long, but okay. this spec also received some 8s & 9s, who knows if that means anything. it went to i think, like 5 people. all passed too expensive for an original ip. blah, blah, blah...

it started at 128 started rewriting to cut the overwriting. got it down to 125 1/3 the way in. then started adding scenes to increase the character relationships based on the notes from the Black List, went back up to 127. now i continue to delete **** that looks good, reads well, but it totally unnecessary, so now i'm back down to 124 and i'm on pg 69. let's see if i can get it under 120. for a sci-fi epic, that's key. when i wrote this, i was like, this is as tight as i can get it.

haha. that's funny.

sorry to digress. my point was that ComicBent is right again. that average is pretty accurate.

be well all.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:37 AM   #22
Merrick
User

That is the one thing I did consider when writing is budget.

I'm not a line producer by any means, but I would guess mine can be made in the 3-10 million range, depending. There are only a few high budget films made per year, so the lower the budget you write for, the more likely you are able to raise funds.
Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:54 AM   #23
Merrick
User

I finished writing. I'm doing the final cleanup now. 20% of the way through and already deleted 1000 words.

Once finished, I'll take a few days break then do a last read through for flow / pacing / anything else that stands out. Hopefully it's all the way there cause I'm ready to move on.

Then I'll reformat here and let you all know the results (how many pages / which suggestion worked best).

Last edited by Merrick : 08-08-2019 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:27 AM   #24
Merrick
User

I got it as far as I wanted to write in OOO. Then edited it this morning (took maybe 2 hours?) to Fountain format.

I then tried this suggestion:

https://afterwriting.com/

It didn't come out 100% perfectly but very close.

185 pages, so I'm very happy.

The whole time, I was nervous this was ballooning over 200, actually was suspecting closer to 240.

I'm going to play around with some other suggestions here and see if any of these ones will let me start to edit in-line as a script format, as I think I need to finish that way.

Seeing it laid out as a script will help me hack out a bit of the longer descriptions, and I'll feel confident bringing this out in the 165-180 range.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:33 AM   #25
Merrick
User

Okay, so ... I went through all the suggestions and downloaded the Fade In free trial, Trelby, KIT Scenarist, WriterSolo, and Magic Movie Screenwriter free demo.

I am wary of cloud-based solutions, so I skipped CELTX and Screenplain.

Here are the results, and I could use a little help here.

* Fade In easily took the fountain format and spit out a nice-looking 203 page script. Watermark also embedded on free trial.

* Trelby easily took the fountain format and spit out an okay-looking 183 page script. I changed it to Courier Screenplay and increased the spacing before slug lines. Looks about the same as Fade In now.

* My computer refused to unpack the KIT Scenarist due to the publisher's signature.

* Took me a few minutes, but I finally figured out how to download WriterSolo. It took to the fountain format about as well as Fade In / Trelby. There are a handful of unknown characters in the text which come up as ?'s inside diamonds. Things like dashes, parentheses, and ellipses. I guess the other two programs just hid them without errors. This came in at 203 pages as well.

* M̶a̶g̶i̶c̶ ̶M̶o̶v̶i̶e̶ ̶S̶c̶r̶e̶e̶n̶w̶r̶i̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶k̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶t̶a̶l̶l̶.̶ ̶I̶n̶ ̶f̶a̶c̶t̶,̶ ̶a̶f̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶w̶e̶n̶t̶y̶ ̶m̶i̶n̶u̶t̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶t̶a̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶u̶p̶.̶ Actually, it finished right when I went to cancel. Refused to import any files however. Said it's incompatible with 64-bit versions of Windows.

What would you do?

I could probably have this whole thing from OOO to perfectly formatted script in 3 hours total, which is amazing.

Thanks all!

UPDATE:

I started playing around with page margins, format, etc. It grows and shrinks considerably if I change things around. Is it problematic to format as A4? And with these margins: 1" top / 1" bottom / 1.5" left / 0.5" right?

That gets me to 184 pages in Fade In.

Please note, I'm based in Europe, but this script is meant for US market.

Last edited by Merrick : 08-13-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:47 AM   #26
Centos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick View Post
Please note, I'm based in Europe, but this script is meant for US market.
Just curious if you're using A4 or Letter sized paper. A4 will lower the page count but, if it's for the US market you'll probably want to use Letter size. (Not that I really know much about this.)

Since you seem to like 'Afterwriting and don't want to use an online solution, you might want to take advantage of its offline feature (if you haven't already). It still works in your browser, but everything is done locally (offline) on your computer. (There's also a way to use 'Afterwriting via the command line.)

Trelby's margins can also be tweaked. And (as you mentioned) it's amazing how much the page count can change with tiny changes in top and bottom margins. I think the top and bottom margins default to something like .5" and 1.0" in Trelby (in Letter size). Just by changing those to .5 and .5 you can probably trim five (or more) pages. (Trelby will show you how many lines you'll get per page as you tweak these settings. Its default (.5 and 1.0) comes out to 57 lines per page, .5 and .5 jumps that up to 60.)

You can also change your PDF fonts in Trelby. Courier Prime or Courier Screenplay are much nicer fonts than the default Courier New (at least they are in my opinion). What you can't change is Unicode. In Trelby there is no em or en dash (for example). So with Trelby you'll get...

INT. LIVING ROOM -- Day

instead of...

INT. LIVING ROOM DAY

At any rate, sorry to ramble. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:00 AM   #27
Centos

Quote:
* My computer refused to unpack the KIT Scenarist due to the publisher's signature.
That's odd. I've never had any trouble installing KIT Scenarist but it's almost always been on Linux (though I have tried it on a couple different Windows installs).

If you have any interest in fixing it, you can contact them via the Contact Page. Dimka Novikov will probably respond within hours.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #28
Merrick
User

Thanks a lot! Yes I did a lot of fiddling around after this. I'm enjoying most the editing in Fade In.

Question is what kind of margins can one get away with on each side? And is it okay to e-mail A4 PDFs to professionals in the US?

My film has a large amount of dialogue, a good portion of it meant to be spoken quickly. So I don't think it's fudging that it would come out around 3 hours or just below.

I don't want to freak anyone out with page counts. I started doing even further editing in Fade In and already got rid of 1 page by page 10. At that rate, I can get to around 167.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:48 AM   #29
Centos

Quote:
Thanks a lot! Yes I did a lot of fiddling around after this. I'm enjoying most the editing in Fade In.
Fade In is a great application. If I was a serious writer I would probably own it.

Quote:
Question is what kind of margins can one get away with on each side? And is it okay to e-mail A4 PDFs to professionals in the US?
Just guessing... I probably wouldn't tweak them more than a 1/4" on either (or both) side(s). The width difference (I think) is going to be a bit more obvious than the length difference. Of course, there's no real "standard" so maybe I'm wrong here.

I think people who read scripts for a living will probably notice the difference between A4 and Letter, but it may be common to receive A4 scripts from other countries (I don't know). Probably ComicBent (or others) can give a better answer here.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #30
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centos View Post
Fade In is a great application. If I was a serious writer I would probably own it.

Just guessing... I probably wouldn't tweak them more than a 1/4" on either (or both) side(s). The width difference (I think) is going to be a bit more obvious than the length difference. Of course, there's no real "standard" so maybe I'm wrong here.

I think people who read scripts for a living will probably notice the difference between A4 and Letter, but it may be common to receive A4 scripts from other countries (I don't know). Probably ComicBent (or others) can give a better answer here.
people don't normally stock A4 paper in their offices here, at least i don't think they do. just save it as a normal 8 1/2" X 11" paper. that way if they want to print it the page won't get cut off.

also, A4 isn't going to represent the actual page count correctly-- i believe it's a few inches longer, right?