Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2019, 09:02 AM   #11
GucciGhostXXX

Default Re: Tracking Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
We've gone off track.

I used to use and love trackingb -- seeing what specs where going out, loglines and that helped me figure out which reps I'd like to work with. Who to target. Who did comedy. And then I learned names of producers, etc and more how the process worked.

But I haven't used it in years... and never used the other service.

So has anyone actually used either of this recently? Maybe it's just not as good as it used to be or it's all available for free on website ______. You know?
Back on track:

Would be cool if there was a legit tracking system that told us EVERYTHING that's going out. Would be cool to see who's going out with what. But I don't think that exists.
GucciGhostXXX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:15 AM   #12
lostfootage
Regular

I use Tracking Board forums to find scripts. That's it. Example - I'm on a Tony Gilroy binge and found the script that became Beirut. Lots of times, it's the only place I can find a script I want to read. So it's very good for that.
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #13
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Back on track:
Would be cool if there was a legit tracking system that told us EVERYTHING that's going out. Would be cool to see who's going out with what. But I don't think that exists.
I'm pretty sure there still are, of course. But no one board will cover everything and the whole purpose of the the tracking boards, in general, is to allow small groups to privately discuss material, of course.

I had a friend/acquaintance -- good guy -- who worked at a company that provided & managed numerous tracking boards for creative executives and reps. Due to privacy I couldn't hang out & nose around on them, but he let me do a quick look and gave me a general overview. Granted things have probably changed some, but he would help create mini, private forums similar to what we have here for different groups of people. Multiple "boards." A group of CEs would request a tracking board of their own. Some agents would too. Also some managers. And some combo groups of the latter. Trusted friends & colleagues. Some quid pro & quo was part of it. I seem to remember him saying someone would get booted if they didn't contribute. This allowed a small group of professionals to frankly discuss material/scripts, writers, and as I recall him saying, even individuals they were dealing with in town. If someone wanted to join a particular group, he'd have to clear it with the group. In some cases, he'd even suggest someone for the group if he thought they would be a good fit for that group. But all pretty exclusive and were what tracking boards truly were and I'm pretty sure still are, of course.

More people might be using Facebook or other sites that allow private groups to operate with secrecy & extreme privacy but limited to trusted group. I don't think anyone could truly collect all the info for everything into one place, since there is simply too much to try to track. It'd take a Herculean effort. You'd have to access to numerous tracking groups/boards out there and constantly be getting info from them. And if some site or service did, it would surely defeat the purpose. Plus, the members wouldn't want to be so open and frank about their various comments. It's like teens going out on their own with friends or on a date vs. being stuck with their parents or a chaperon. Not the same things said, discussed or done.

Last edited by Done Deal Pro : 08-24-2019 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Rewrite/polish
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:18 PM   #14
Hernan Giaggio
User

Quote:
We've gone off track.

I used to use and love trackingb -- seeing what specs where going out, loglines and that helped me figure out which reps I'd like to work with. Who to target. Who did comedy. And then I learned names of producers, etc and more how the process worked.

But I haven't used it in years... and never used the other service.

So has anyone actually used either of this recently? Maybe it's just not as good as it used to be or it's all available for free on website ______. You know?
Yeah, I've been doing this as well. I've been using the Blcklst to figure out who to target, but it doesn't give me a current understanding.

For specs, Scott Myers' blog gives very detailed info for the specs he does cover, but he doesn't seem to cover all of them. I often see twice as many on the trackingboard, but maybe those are just options and he only covers sales?

Anyway, if you find something, or somewhere I can get some real dirt on reps -- a place where writers can chat about reps without fear of rats taking the cheese back their bosses -- please let me know. I have a the tea on a couple myself...
Hernan Giaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:58 PM   #15
Friday

Quote:
I"m almost positive YOU told her and whole world you were on here --- it was like seconds after you showed us your picture... maybe there is some google alert thing she can use to track you. Just saying, you're 2 seconds away from positing your SSN and home address.

Also if anyone is reading this in Hollywood, notice how fun my posts are and how well written. Don't you want to work with and sell my brilliant work? Tell all high profile agents and managers. Thank you!

You mean kind of like the Reddit writers that get picked up every now and then (i.e. Two sentence horror stories, that Roman army action pic, etc.)? You did have a couple of funny posts this week.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:26 AM   #16
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
I'm pretty sure there still are, of course. But no one board will cover everything and the whole purpose of the the tracking boards, in general, is to allow small groups to privately discuss material, of course.

I had a friend/acquaintance -- good guy -- who worked at a company that provided & managed numerous tracking boards for creative executives and reps. Due to privacy I couldn't hang out & nose around on them, but he let me do a quick look and gave me a general overview. Granted things have probably changed some, but he would help create mini, private forums similar to what we have here for different groups of people. Multiple "boards." A group of CEs would request a tracking board of their own. Some agents would too. Also some managers. And some combo groups of the latter. Trusted friends & colleagues. Some quid pro & quo was part of it. I seem to remember him saying someone would get booted if they didn't contribute. This allowed a small group of professionals to frankly discuss material/scripts, writers, and as I recall him saying, even individuals they were dealing with in town. If someone wanted to join a particular group, he'd have to clear it with the group. In some cases, he'd even suggest someone for the group if he thought they would be a good fit for that group. But all pretty exclusive and were what tracking boards truly were and I'm pretty sure still are, of course.

More people might be using Facebook or other sites that allow private groups to operate with secrecy & extreme privacy but limited to trusted group. I don't think anyone could truly collect all the info for everything into one place, since there is simply too much to try to track. It'd take a Herculean effort. You'd have to access to numerous tracking groups/boards out there and constantly be getting info from them. And if some site or service did, it would surely defeat the purpose. Plus, the members wouldn't want to be so open and frank about their various comments. It's like teens going out on their own with friends or on a date vs. being stuck with their parents or a chaperon. Not the same things said, discussed or done.
Interesting, I learn something new every day.

But, you're probably right. Wouldn't be the same if it was wide open for ANYONE to look at. And probably WAY too much intel for anyone to cover in one place.

I guess I'd just kinda like to know if people were talking sh!t on my scripts and what they're saying. LOL

I honestly don't know if any of my scripts have been on tracking boards. *shrug*
Old 08-25-2019, 11:09 AM   #17
Bono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
You mean kind of like the Reddit writers that get picked up every now and then (i.e. Two sentence horror stories, that Roman army action pic, etc.)? You did have a couple of funny posts this week.
I honestly never heard of those stories -- but of course that happened! Twitter yes. Reddit no.

And I was joking of course -- but by "a couple of funny posts" you mean EVERYTHING YOUR WRITE IS BRILLIANT, right?
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:35 AM   #18
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Quote:
I honestly never heard of those stories -- but of course that happened! Twitter yes. Reddit no.
Simply for the record, "Rome, Sweet Rome" by James Erwin was picked up by Adam Kolbrenner after he (or probably his assistant) spotted Erwin's posts about the idea once they reached the top of Reddit.com.

This was first set up/listed on our main site back in October 2011. Super rare? Yes. But it did actually happen.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:16 PM   #19
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
Simply for the record, "Rome, Sweet Rome" by James Erwin was picked up by Adam Kolbrenner after he (or probably his assistant) spotted Erwin's posts about the idea once they reached the top of Reddit.com.

This was first set up/listed on our main site back in October 2011. Super rare? Yes. But it did actually happen.
I'm slow in the brain...

We talking Eriwn Stoff (that's the only Erwin I can think of)? Who's Erwin? I'm not versed in Reddit lingo.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:32 PM   #20
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
I'm slow in the brain...

We talking Eriwn Stoff (that's the only Erwin I can think of)? Who's Erwin? I'm not versed in Reddit lingo.
No, no. Erwin Stoff just manages & produces. I was noting James Erwin who was & still is a two-time "Jeopardy!" winner. I'd tend to think some of that notoriety probably helped a little too with the interest level in the project vs. something by a complete unknown. Can't say for sure, by any means.