Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #91
jcgary

Default Re: Spec Scout

Quote:
It is my understanding - which I admit could be wrong, especially since I have no credentials to back up my opinions - that spec scripts are routinely 'covered' with comments circulated on private tracking boards - the ones writers have no access to whatsoever.
This is a good opportunity to clear up this misconception -- w/r/t scripts and writers, the vast vast vast majority of private tracking boards don't discuss opinions beyond "I liked it" or "We aren't buying it." They all talk about who they're bringing in for a meeting -- on my last round of generals, I met with almost every member of at least two boards. It's funny when they ask who else you've met with and you mention a few names and they give knowing nods or "Yeah, Alex told me he really liked you." They don't post coverage -- that's proprietary. It's mostly banal business stuff and gossip -- what fund has this amount of money, who's going to which festival, that kind of thing.

They certainly *do* talk about scripts they've read and which ones they liked and which ones they don't, but usually in person -- and they're always meeting up with each other, mixers or lunch or parties at the aforementioned festivals or markets. This is a face-to-face business.

But the idea of a script being killed because one person on a tracking board said it sucked is false. Each board just isn't that large

Quote:
I also know - and this is fact - that a well know tracking board open to subscription by anyone, routinely posts current scripts, and often has comments also posted, some of which can be pretty brutal.
I agree with 8bit -- the forums at tracking-board rarely involve opinions, and are the opposite of what could be considered influential.

I've already been blocked on twitter and had my account at tracking-board dot com suspended for expressing even the vaguest of criticisms, which don't even include this one:

tracking-board dot com charges for access to their forums, where spec and pre-production scripts are traded, which is ****ing ridiculous. Leaving aside the ethics of reading scripts which haven't been produced, how can it be ok for someone to charge for access to scripts they don't own?

Perhaps the head of tracking-board, who has posted here recently, would like to respond.
jcgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #92
Steven L.
Regular

Scoggins, I'll wait until you implement the opt-out policy on your website. I'd like to see you follow through with that rather pick out the specific writers who don't want to be included in Spec Scout.

Thanks.

And oh yeah -- Please don't try to make me feel like a crying, boo-hoo victim of the Abbott Management / Spec Scout coverage system. My spec was a first draft that was used to lock down some generals. Surprisingly, a few of those execs wanted that script. It was NEVER tracked (I'm a member at the same tracking board you plucked your info from) and NEVER circulated wide. People passed it on, talked about it, etc., but in private. Basically, it was announced that the spec was acquired, you guys grab the draft, and have your three "industry pro readers" do coverage on it. There was no scouting there. The script was already through the system.
Steven L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #93
EJ Pennypacker

Hi Jason,

I have a script that is logged on the site, that I never paid coverage/nor uploaded. It has five different loglines written in the preview window of the coverage sneak-peek. Am I to assume that it got reviewed five times? And not three?

And what does a writer do to leverage this information for your site? If I pay for three reviews does that mean it now potentially gets covered eight times, which naturally sounds excessive...

The script also made The Hit List 2012.

EJ
EJ Pennypacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #94
Midnite

Did I miss the This Thread is Closed memo?

Midnite
Midnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:29 AM   #95
LauriD

I just skimmed this long-ish thread and I didn't notice any actual success stories based on good Spec Scout ratings.

Are there any?

Seems like with SS, the BL, etc. that's where the rubber hits the road...
LauriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #96
ChristopherCurtis
Regular

Our latest draft and rw is complete, and will be hitting many of them (lists,contests) simultaneously. I have been waiting since August to get it done and out. We got it where we want it now. SpecScout WILL be one of the 5 we choose.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:32 AM   #97
ChristopherCurtis
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauriD View Post
I just skimmed this long-ish thread and I didn't notice any actual success stories based on good Spec Scout ratings.

Are there any?

Seems like with SS, the BL, etc. that's where the rubber hits the road...
Laurie, WL on there?
Old 01-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #98
karsten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter Script Reader View Post
I'm seeing disturbing echoes between this and ScriptShadow. Though that might be unfair as Carson doesn't charge for access to his reviews.
Indeed. This service seems far worse than even the most negative assessment of SS.

At least in the case of ScriptShadow when SS was reviewing specs, a writer could ask that his script not be reviewed and it wouldn't be reviewed, or if it was reviewed, he could ask for the review to be pulled and it would be pulled.

Plus, as BSR points out, Carson's revenue only came from ads (which, in my experience at least, yield minimal returns).

And at the very least, at SS, a writer could see the review of his own script.

But SpecScout, it seems:

1. Reviews scripts whether the writers like it or not.

2. Does not pull reviews at the writer's request.

3. Directly profits off the labor of scriptwriters by charging access, then doesn't give any money back to the scriptwriters whose scripts (being reviewed) give SpecScout its only broadly notable content.

4. Doesn't even allow screenwriters to see the reviews of their own scripts!

Unless I'm reading something wrong, this service seems utterly horrible.

Last edited by karsten : 01-23-2013 at 07:14 AM.
karsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #99
emily blake

This whole thing is very, very shady.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #100
Bairn_Writer
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post

3. Directly profits off the labor of scriptwriters by charging access, then doesn't give any money back to the scriptwriters whose scripts (being reviewed) give SpecScout its only broadly notable content.
Exactly what has been in my mind. Charging people for access to a script that you don't own is beyond what even ScriptShadow had the nerve to do.
Bairn_Writer is offline   Reply With Quote