Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
ctp

Default What do you think determines rewatch value?

The title says it all...
ctp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:28 AM   #2
Timmy
Regular

Default Re: What do you think determines rewatch value?

Theme.

The ideas the story explores.
Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:42 AM   #3
UpandComing

Amount of gratuitous nudity and/or violence.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #4
DayJobWriter
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Theme.

The ideas the story explores.
I wish I could honestly answer the way you did, seeing that I'm a screenwriter. But, sadly, my answer would be:

Characters (specifically, the actors' portrayal). My favorite episode of THE KILLING was when the two main characters sat in a car basically saying nothing for at least half the episode. The situation they were in was terribly tense, but they weren't talking to each other much. It was riveting.

Cinematography. Whatever you want to say about ROAD TO PERDITION or LAWLESS, they were exquisite to look at.

That being said, I thought TRUE DETECTIVE was the perfect marriage between dialogue, characters, cinematography, story and theme. I don't know who I love most -- the two leads, the writer or the director. It was as much a visual portrayal of the decaying rural south as it was of the individuals who populated it.
DayJobWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
goldmund

Absolutely ATMOSPHERE.

It's like a world which you want to re-visit, because you like feeling in that particular way.

And character dynamics.

I'm afraid these two are things which happen on the level of actual shooting and then post-production. We can suggest atmosphere (and dynamics through dialogs) but the end result can be much different.
goldmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
Joaneasley

I'll see a movie again if I enjoyed the emotional experience (music is often part of this) and if nothing happened that was so horrific that I dread going again. The pleasures of the movie have to far outweigh the pain for me to want to go through it again.
Joaneasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
WaitForIt
Regular

I'm about emotion and atmosphere. I like to be entertained, and I don't find depressing films entertaining at all. I won't watch them again even if they're beautiful or important or acclaimed.

If a movie makes me laugh and/or makes me happy, I'm likely to want to watch it again. I need me some happily ever afters.

I love movies that are funny no matter how many times I've seen them, movies that would make me laugh at the same things even if I watched them three times on the same day.

Sometimes funny movies aren't funny at all on subsequent viewings, however, and I don't know why. Maybe the fact that I don't know what makes for long-lasting humor is why I can't write comedies.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
Margie Kaptanoglu
Regular

Youve made me think about which movies Ive actually watched more than once:

Comedies that I love: Airplane, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, The Philadelphia Story, Bringing Up Baby, Charade (maybe its a thriller but its very funny too).

Family classics: The Wizard of Oz, Its a Wonderful Life.

Romances: Pride & Prejudice (Colin Firth version, and okay, its a miniseries), Jane Eyre, Shakespeare in Love, Dr. Zhivago, Titanic.

Epic stories: Lawrence of Arabia, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Star Wars (original 3), Raiders of the Lost Ark.

If I analyze what I like about these films, I guess the elements are:

1. Laughter
2. Romance
3. Adventure (getting immersed by an imaginary or at least unfamiliar world)

I enjoy many other types of films, but these, and others like them, are the ones with the greatest re-watch value for me.

I will not re-watch anything that has a realistically depressing ending, even if I thought the film was good (ex., The Fault in Our Stars).

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com
Margie Kaptanoglu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #9
UpandComing

Being serious, I tend not to watch a movie more than once (there's something about preserving the specialness of that one moment in time), unless someone else who hasn't seen it wants me to watch it with them.

I've found that two factors encourage me greatly to watch something more than one time. One is the presence of a great third act twist, a la "The Sixth Sense" or "The Others" -- I always want to go back and see all the clues I missed leading up to the great revelation. The other is the presence of visually stunning images. I could never get enough of "The Matrix" or "Gravity" because they were such a treat for the eyes.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #10
goldmund

I've given it some more thought and I realized that all the films I re-watch are those where I'D LIKE TO BE THE MAIN CHARACTER or, I identify with him/her.
goldmund is offline   Reply With Quote