Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2019, 11:43 PM   #21
Bono

Default Re: SCRIPT LENGTH: let's take a poll

Just cut pages 65 to 80 in every script and it will be fine.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:02 AM   #22
Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Swear! I've said to my manager "I'm cool if you wanna cut it yourself." I'd rather just send the fdx file ("cut whatever you want").

I seriously don't give a sh!t about my precious words once the story is out of me. The core story ain't gonna change. I'd gladly let you cut it (I've read your pages, you're good, I trust you). Problem is I don't have anything right now that needs to be cut or I'd take you up on the generous offer. The sci-fi already went out. Only generals. It's dead.

But, I believe this is a good idea: Trade scripts with talented writer friends "Dude... Cut whatever you think I don't need and I'll reread your edited draft." If I don't notice the cuts. Perfect! "Idk what you cut but it's shorter...cool! THANKS!" LOL

If I don't miss it, it wasn't important. CHOP IT!

I would just f with the margins and plant a lot of orphans to see if you notice.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:02 AM   #23
Friday

I have a very tight 3 pager. It's very lean and mean.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:50 PM   #24
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Just cut pages 65 to 80 in every script and it will be fine.
Ha!

I know that’s the common thinking, but I don’t think that’s my problem. My problem is more “We just didn’t give a sh!t ENOUGH.”

Arrogant to say, I get it, but I don’t think I have that sag problem. My sh!t is fukked up all the way through. Which is another way of saying “I don’t believe in acts.” The thing starts, **** happens, the thing ends.

My buddy (writer/director) said to me: “dude... your 3rd acts are super short. I read your sh!t, I’m on page 100 and know I’m still in the 2nd act and I’m like ‘how the fukk is he gonna wrap this up in 10 pages without it feeling rushed, but somehow you do.”

I fukkin HATE long 3rd acts. Get me the fukk outta there once I know what the fukk the twist is!
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:11 PM   #25
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
I would just f with the margins and plant a lot of orphans to see if you notice.
Ha! Fukker...
Old 08-18-2019, 02:01 PM   #26
realphipps
User

Gucci, others--

Do you treat orphans like widows? Always start clean on the top of the next page?
realphipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #27
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by realphipps View Post
Gucci, others--

Do you treat orphans like widows? Always start clean on the top of the next page?
i don't worry about these, well widows i do, until i'm rewriting. i cannot stand it when dialogue or an action line gets split by a page break. i will rewrite that **** until it's gone

tip of the day: don't touch your nose after slicing jalapeños.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:14 PM   #28
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
i don't worry about these, well widows i do, until i'm rewriting. i cannot stand it when dialogue or an action line gets split by a page break. i will rewrite that **** until it's gone

tip of the day: don't touch your nose after slicing jalapeños.
Ha! Good tip ('bout jalapeños).

I try to get rid of them if I can. But, doing hella edits sometimes you just can't. I've had drafts where I loved the way it looked. Tight. Almost zero orphans, then manager asks for a rewrite and it throws everything off. At a certain point I just say "fukk it, it is what it is."

But, the last page has to be to the bottom of the page or close to. Super bugs me if it ain't. I'll shrink my margins if it gets me there.

Best case scenario IMO: Last page begins with a slug line and FADE OUT is the very last margin usable.

Gripe: Final Draft (or whatever) should have an option to calculate ways to do this. Can't believe there aren't these functions. Or "Here's some words you could cut to shed page count." Idk how the software calculates this sh!t, I just know that I can cut 20 lines and my page count doesn't change. Then I cut one word and BOOM! I get half a page back. WTF??
Old 08-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #29
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Ha! Good tip ('bout jalapeños).

I try to get rid of them if I can. But, doing hella edits sometimes you just can't. I've had drafts where I loved the way it looked. Tight. Almost zero orphans, then manager asks for a rewrite and it throws everything off. At a certain point I just say "fukk it, it is what it is."

But, the last page has to be to the bottom of the page or close to. Super bugs me if it ain't. I'll shrink my margins if it gets me there.

Best case scenario IMO: Last page begins with a slug line and FADE OUT is the very last margin usable.

Gripe: Final Draft (or whatever) should have an option to calculate ways to do this. Can't believe there aren't these functions. Or "Here's some words you could cut to shed page count." Idk how the software calculates this sh!t, I just know that I can cut 20 lines and my page count doesn't change. Then I cut one word and BOOM! I get half a page back. WTF??
i am exactly the same way about the last page. it has to be at least 3/4 but bottom of the page is best.

i will even rewrite pages so specific dialogue or action hits the bottom of the page to create that "page turner," feel.

sometimes, i've found, that it is the accumulation of several pages of edits and suddenly the page drops one on the end.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:34 PM   #30
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
i am exactly the same way about the last page. it has to be at least 3/4 but bottom of the page is best.

i will even rewrite pages so specific dialogue or action hits the bottom of the page to create that "page turner," feel.

sometimes, i've found, that it is the accumulation of several pages of edits and suddenly the page drops one on the end.
Right!?

Whoever figures out an algorithm to do this for me IMMEDIATELY get's my money! Super waste of my time. Often takes me HOURS (like 5, that's too long) to edit for looks.