Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Writing TV
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2019, 08:43 PM   #21
finalact4

Default Re: I did it my wayyyyyyyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchonaSteve View Post
Breaking Bad and Lost did not have even the first season planned out when they shot the pilot. And I would suggest going back and watching the first episode of GOT. The audience, at least the audience that hadn't read the books, had no idea how densely packed that first episode was. Starting the series with the Red Wedding would not have had the impact on the audience that it did had we not been following the Starks and their travails.
i honestly don't remember Breaking Bad's pilot. sort of vaguely.

but i absolutely remember both LOST and GOT. they were awesome. both open and you're like WTF? it took so many episodes before we even saw the White Walkers again.

and the blind character slate in LOST was the key to the series. no one knew anything about anyone. every single episode was an exploration of characters because no one knew each other.

all i'm saying, is don't hold back. both GOT and LOST had WOW factor.

i love LOST my favorite ever series. well, maybe tied with GOT.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:34 PM   #22
lostfootage
Regular

You know there is a format for what you set out to do. It's called a novel. A meaty novel has enough it in for about one season. Season one of Big Little Lies is essentially just the novel filmed. Same with the first season of the Leftovers. And Sharp Objects. Etc. I didn't watch Game of Thrones but isn't it one book per season until they ran out of books, and then everyone was like -- Oh Shoot.

Do you write prose? Because if you really want to tell "the whole story" in one fell swoop, going the novel route might make sense.
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:01 PM   #23
Southern_land

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfootage View Post
You know there is a format for what you set out to do. It's called a novel. A meaty novel has enough it in for about one season. Season one of Big Little Lies is essentially just the novel filmed. Same with the first season of the Leftovers. And Sharp Objects. Etc. I didn't watch Game of Thrones but isn't it one book per season until they ran out of books, and then everyone was like -- Oh Shoot.

Do you write prose? Because if you really want to tell "the whole story" in one fell swoop, going the novel route might make sense.
Had considered that too.

Southern_land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:06 PM   #24
Southern_land

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchonaSteve View Post
Breaking Bad and Lost did not have even the first season planned out when they shot the pilot. And I would suggest going back and watching the first episode of GOT. The audience, at least the audience that hadn't read the books, had no idea how densely packed that first episode was. Starting the series with the Red Wedding would not have had the impact on the audience that it did had we not been following the Starks and their travails.
I'd heard Lost was a work in progress didn't know about Breaking Bad. I've written end towards the middle before but almost every time I've tried without a ending that's where I've finished too. Often I can't even make a start without an end - even a poor end - in mind. middles are no problem, everything mid story is soft and malleable and just waiting to be given form.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:08 PM   #25
Southern_land

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Ahh... I'm kinda getting where you're coming from. Yeah, sounds like it's too soon. I vote 'put it in the show bible.'

SHOW IT exactly how you want us to see it. Meaning: Hella photoshop to get us there visually. I'm a firm believer in 'make the bible look EXACTLY how the show looks (tone)', don't cut corners here.

With my bibles, if I can't find the perfect images to combine via photoshop, I'm gonna shoot it myself Guerrilla-style. Which is a blast. Then edit to taste (like adding rain to the image. Bright sunny day now looks dark, morbid and rainy. Exactly what I wanted).

Another example: A jet overhead. Original image had clear crisp blue skies. Not what I wanted. Photoshopped in a smoldering blood read sky at sunset. Looks rad. Have fun with it.

Good luck!
Yeah nice. Need to read some bibles. Hadn't considered the visual aspect at all but now... yeah thats locked in!

Old 08-20-2019, 11:17 PM   #26
Southern_land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
You're taking this hard -- but i like the passion. You can always write it. No one can ever stop you from doing that.

Question, are you sure this is a TV show and not a feature?
It started as a movie but I fed it after midnight . Yeah, I think there's too much for a movie and I think a different pace would benefit the story - not having to cram everything into 90-100 minutes.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:31 PM   #27
Southern_land

hey thanks for the great responses folks. Appreciate it. Guess I'm doing it your way now.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #28
lostfootage
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_land View Post
Yeah nice. Need to read some bibles. Hadn't considered the visual aspect at all but now... yeah thats locked in!
Bibles are very hard to find online. I agree with others that you're at a stage where you want to see what parts of your vision would be better presented in a show bible, rather than a full series of episodes.

I stumbled across this site the other day. To save you a lot of time, go to this site -- this has most of the good ones available online in one place!

https://www.shorescripts.com/tv-series-bibles/
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:24 PM   #29
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_land View Post
I'm happy to send you 2 of my show bibles if you wanna skim through them to see what's generally expected of the format. But, yeah, they gotta look beautiful. PM me your email and I'll send if you want.

PS... I wouldn't recommend going as long as I did. Aim for 15-20 pages. But, yeah, current bibles are hard to get your hands on unless your rep shares some of their clients bibles with you (***DISCLAIMER***: I will never pass on any bibles that aren't mine. Client privacy etc.)

Last edited by GucciGhostXXX : 08-21-2019 at 01:44 PM.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:25 PM   #30
Southern_land

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfootage View Post
Bibles are very hard to find online. I agree with others that you're at a stage where you want to see what parts of your vision would be better presented in a show bible, rather than a full series of episodes.

I stumbled across this site the other day. To save you a lot of time, go to this site -- this has most of the good ones available online in one place!

https://www.shorescripts.com/tv-series-bibles/
Cool thanks. Went through a big downloading phase a while back and can't remember what I grabbed