Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #11
finalact4

Default Re: Maybe I'm Just Not Talented Enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Jeez...NO!... I just said that is NOT the case. This story spans 20 years not all at the same time. I pass Malcom Gladwell's litmus test of 10,000 hours for each.

Sometimes along the way you realize something isn't working so you shift gears.

I fell into screenwriting. I didn't grow up wanting to be a screenwriter and that's okay.

LET ME BE CLEAR: I DIDN'T DO ALL THESE THINGS AT THE SAME TIME. Again, 20 years.
maybe look at it a different way. list out how much time you spent on EACH one alone?

you're clearly talented otherwise you wouldn't have the success you've had so far. modeling is a talent, too, right? i don't know if anything that i'm about to say applies, but...

maybe what you experience is the big let down AFTER the initial glowing reviews and immediate success that you soon get bored with what remains...

taking the time to focus and not give up, not switch to something else is challenging...

have you spent 10 years writing? have you spent 5 years being a manager?

maybe you're naturally interested and distracted by new things? that's not a bad thing, but it can cause problems if you don't realize that about yourself.

no, you may not have done each of these things at the same time, but some of them maybe? because you listed 8 things in 20 years which each alone would average 2.5 years. it takes the average writer a minimum of 10 years to break in, let alone try to sustain it once you arrive.

you are way ahead of the majority of people, so you have a choice-- stick with one for a while, or move onto the next one. but if you're changing your direction ever few years, you're never going to be satisfied. it's your life, do what makes you happy, but only AFTER you take an honest look at what you've achieved, how much time you've devoted and what you want.

i mean, everything i've ever read about screenwriting is that it is ALWAYS more rejection than success-- that's the reality.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:48 PM   #12
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahlowen View Post
I saw what you wrote, but even still I was still just thinking that's a lot of different avenues to pursue... even for 20 years. If you break it down it seems like every couple years you'd pivot to an entirely different career or focus, which there's nothing wrong with unless you never figure out your role in business, life, etc. If you have by now, that's great. All good though either way, keep doing you. Hope things work out for ya!
No worries.

Some of it overlapped, for example: modeling/bands was simultaneous.

It would be more true to say I pivoted about every 7 years. The art I created while being repped as a writer.

But, I suppose I can understand why when presented the way I presented it APPEARS like I was constantly career hopping. Nope. Just one thing led to another. Like falling into screenwriting. I was at ICM for a film composer meeting. Epiphany DURING that meeting. 16 days later I had a script. That script got me signed by their competitor. Sh!t like that. If you would have told me before that meeting "You're gonna walk outta of your meeting wanting to write a script... and that script will get you signed at CAA." I would have told you you're FRIGGIN INSANE!

But, that's how some of my transitions have been. Life throws curve balls you never saw coming. And couldn't have prepared for. Although, I was unknowingly preparing for it by spending 10 years reading my ex's clients scripts (those kind of realizations after the fact).
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:52 PM   #13
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernan Giaggio View Post
I have a similar origin (definitely no modeling, though).

Started out in bands. Toured. Opened for some biggish bands. Couldn't keep it together.

Moved onto comics. Published some. Ran an indie studio. But never really broke through.

Did some fine art and other stuff.

And now screenwriting.

But I've finally learned my lesson this time. Looking at the bands that opened for us that would go on to be pretty huge (before flaming out), and other comic writers I started with who are now doing Spider-Man, the lesson is clear.

DON'T. GO. HOME.

When **** gets hard, and it feels so close and yet so far, when you're beaten down by rejections, and pushed calls, and low scores (or whatever), it can seem really tasty to quit. Get a divorce. Find someone else, younger.

But for me I know that this time I cannot quit no matter what.
Probably true!

And glad to see that someone else gets what I'm talking about.

Most of the writers I know do other sh!t as well. And are GOOD at pretty much everything they do.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:02 PM   #14
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
The important thing GUCCI is you're good looking and they can't take that away from you!

My writing partner is more like you (except ugly). He wants to do like 6 to 98 things at once. And he tries to do those things. Stand Up. Acting. Directing. Writing. Producing. Reality Shows. Podcasts. Foodie Stuff. Music Reviews... anything and everything.

I wanted to focus 100% on writing. We had issues because things would come up and he'd talk about "can I act in our pilot" -- and stuff like that. And of course finding time to write together when he's off doing comedy on stage...

Ironically we stopped working together and I thought I'd get more done and yet I stopped writing and he wrote more than every himself. He hasnt' had success in that dept w/o me (scripts are good just saying).

But I guess part of misses his manic energy and zest for life. He's non stop commitment to being an artist. Like you Gucci. That means something. You do have to be a crazy person to live this life, don't you? And to know what you want and not make it kills a soul. I get it. So part of the artist says, well if I can't get my first choice of career, let me get my backup career or my 4th backup. But deep down inside probbaly something you love the most. Let's say it's making movies. For me its' writing movies. I always dreamed of writing/directing my own movie, but now I don't know if I can do it. Or ever could.

I honestly don't know how you're supposed to talk to actors. Im sure I can figure it out as I can talk to anyone, but it just sounds like a great way for people to hate you. I like making the decisions and being in charge, but I also don't have the confidence, so I guess I will never reach that dream. My writing partner is unafraid. I guess I'm drawn to that safety net...

Maybe you should write/direct your own movie. Put all your skills together. Act. Write. Direct. Produce. Set Design. Composer. Sell. Push. Market.

That's exactly what I'm pondering. I've invested a fukk ton of blood, sweat and tears into the arts. Maybe I just need to combine it all.

Random: I had a director pass on a script a few months ago and I'm thinking "Dude... what???... fo realz, my script fukks yours up. Why am I letting these people decide for me what gets made and what doesn't." It was one of those times I was CERTAIN this was in the director's wheelhouse. NOPE!
Old 08-22-2019, 01:32 PM   #15
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
The pursuit of anything entertainment based is never what anyone thinks it will be. Why? This is my opinion only, but all most people see when they indulge in it is the end product. People watch TV and films. People listen to music and read books. People look at beautiful people walking down runways or in fashion ads and never once think about the incredibly hard work it took to make any of that happen successfully. How hard it is to sustain. Then some of them think.... I can do that. I'll do that and become rich, too. I'm not saying this is you... I'm talking in general. I call these people the Rainbow Unicorn Yellow Brick Road Brigade.

The ones who write one script in two weeks then expect to get it to Speilberg. Or sell their TV Show idea because that's how it works, right? Never a thought to the dedicated dehumanizing psychologically bone crushing obstacle course 99.9% of people successful in these endeavors took. They just saw the end product and thought it magically appeared showering money and fame on all involved.

They have no idea what these successful people had to do to get there. The people who succeeded because they were open to really learning, hungry for real knowledge about how these BUSINESSES, these industries, work. These people were unafraid of what they found out even though it's scary as ****. They accepted the challenge and were single minded in their journey to success. And they did the hard work, rejected the rejections, and never gave up, even though for almost all of them it took years. Some of them a decade or more.

I didn't have my first produced film until 15 years after I wrote my first script. Hundreds of rejections from every arena of this business. Doors I couldn't get through. Rooms I couldn't get in. But if you want this, you don't give up. You learn from each failure. Now... I have 15 produced films and you know what? I still have to fight every day for each inch. I'm not rich. I'm not famous. But I'm a steadily working writer, something I dreamed about. Actors act out my stories and say my words on big and little screens. My dream. Not without sacrifice.

You want this? Don't give up. You've been there. You know it's a business and not Unicorntown. You're already ahead of the curve. Keep at it. It's never easy and the real rewards are few, but damn, they're fun when they come.

You have the talent because you never would have gotten so close without it, now steel that psyche and push ahead. It's there.
Thanks! I needed this right now, because I'm obviously feeling down and defeated.

EXACTLY THAT! I'm not one of those 'Rainbow Unicorn Yellow Brick Road Brigade' folks. The first time I realized the industry doesn't work that way was when I was 21? Lost a huge job. From then on I knew how brutal the lifestyle would be. I COMPLETELY GET IT. Also, being married to an agent (and tracking/help manage/strategize their career) for 15 years helps a FUKK TON to understand how this business operates.

We were little kids when the journey began. She got a job at a BIG4 as a receptionist, the lowest job you could have there above a valet (nothing against valets, they're hard working folks). We didn't even know what that meant, and it was through a temp agency. We didn't know what an agency really was or what they did. Then she goes to full time receptionist. We're like GREAT! then get's moved out of the dungeon into a little box. GREAT! Moving up. Then to a assistant. WOW! AMAZING! Now we're both kinda GETTING IT, the industry. We're like "man, look at those fancy agents, I can't imagine being in that crowd." Then... finally... promoted to jr agent. HOLY ****!. Then picking up slack for for mid-level agents. Then finally being ALloWED to sign own clients. CUT TO: 15 years later and a hell of a lot of strategy and struggle WE ARE THOSE PEOPLE. We're at the partner's cocktail party, 20 people. Hit films under belt.

I know it wasn't ME doing it. But behind the scenes I was doing a lot of heavy lifting, constant convos about how to strategize. We were hand in hand for the rise. She heavily relied on me for advice.

Then ultimately we sold a hit movie together 15 years later. I FUKKING GET how brutal the journey is. And this is aside from my own sh!t I was doing.

POINT: That's the hardest part, not allowing the brutality of this industry to suck your soul dry.

TRIVIA: Speaking of Speilberg. My ex's dad was a kid "actor" in his very first movie. I'm talking Speilberg's very first film, the one he made as a kid that's B&W shot on 8mil (or whatever). Where the kids are throwing dirt in the air to act as explosions, that flick. Speilberg was what, 10 when he made it?
Old 08-22-2019, 01:33 PM   #16
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
STEVE JOBS:

Remembering that Ill be dead soon is the most important tool Ive ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.

Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
Dude... so much of what you say is EXACTLY how my mind works. Good point!
Old 08-22-2019, 01:48 PM   #17
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
maybe look at it a different way. list out how much time you spent on EACH one alone?

you're clearly talented otherwise you wouldn't have the success you've had so far. modeling is a talent, too, right? i don't know if anything that i'm about to say applies, but...

maybe what you experience is the big let down AFTER the initial glowing reviews and immediate success that you soon get bored with what remains...

taking the time to focus and not give up, not switch to something else is challenging...

have you spent 10 years writing? have you spent 5 years being a manager?

maybe you're naturally interested and distracted by new things? that's not a bad thing, but it can cause problems if you don't realize that about yourself.

no, you may not have done each of these things at the same time, but some of them maybe? because you listed 8 things in 20 years which each alone would average 2.5 years. it takes the average writer a minimum of 10 years to break in, let alone try to sustain it once you arrive.

you are way ahead of the majority of people, so you have a choice-- stick with one for a while, or move onto the next one. but if you're changing your direction ever few years, you're never going to be satisfied. it's your life, do what makes you happy, but only AFTER you take an honest look at what you've achieved, how much time you've devoted and what you want.

i mean, everything i've ever read about screenwriting is that it is ALWAYS more rejection than success-- that's the reality.
Could be part of it. It's true that with my stuff I tend to do very well initially then struggle. Example: I got signed to CAA fairly easily (but it wasn't nepotism, my name was not on the script). Sold the first show I ever wrote, landed my dream showrunners on it as well. FIRST SHOW! Got super close to getting my first show made.

So coming down from that stings.

Having said that, I've worked my ass off. I'm no pu$$y when it comes to doing the work. 12 hour writing days are status quo for me. 48 hour writing days are common for me. On a flat out insanity grind I'll do 72 hours straight through. The last hing I wrote in 48 hours, 135 pages. The only real not manager had was "It's too short. Thus make it a TV show."

POINT: Maybe I'm asking if anyone here has done it all. I mean literally nearly everything (like someone else suggested higher up in the post), and had success with that. I feel like many of us are WAITING for a YES that's never gonna come, especially in this ultra-risk averse market. Yet, I see those risky films being MADE.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:48 PM   #18
DDoc
User

I don't know how talented anyone here is (or how talented I am) but I do believe there are tons of untalented people working in all creative fields. Either they know the right people or they've made something that's marketable in some way.

Last edited by DDoc : 08-22-2019 at 04:50 PM.
DDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:17 PM   #19
Bono

The most powerful man in the world is the most untalented man in the world except if you count being the best con man of all time as a talent? But he's also the dumbest.

But yeah having the job does not make you good at the job -- see any workplace.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:50 PM   #20
jonpiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoc View Post
I don't know how talented anyone here is (or how talented I am) but I do believe there are tons of untalented people working in all creative fields. Either they know the right people or they've made something that's marketable in some way.
Quote:
The most powerful man in the world is the most untalented man in the world except if you count being the best con man of all time as a talent? But he's also the dumbest.

But yeah having the job does not make you good at the job -- see any workplace.
Gucci, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you really give a rat's ass about untalented people who make it in Hollywood. Fukk them.

I think you're concerned about why many talented people don't make it in Hollywood--or anywhere for that matter. On top of that you question your own talent.

Who doesn't question their talent? Rather than question your talent, I think, IMHO, you should concentrate on what's holding you back from your goal.
jonpiper is offline   Reply With Quote