Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of Watch

Saw the LA premiere last night. Incredibly intense movie. A great story about friendship and arguably one of the best films about the LAPD ever made.

Heard a lot of awards talk post-screening, especially for Pena in the supporting role.

Go see it this weekend.
    NOTES / COVERAGE
    15,000+ Screenplays
    [email protected]

Re: End of Watch

I want to see it. I'm a David Ayer fan. But are you saying it's better then TRAINING DAY? That's a big statement if you are. I'll definitely need to check it out.
    Last edited by Deion22; 09-19-2012, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post
      I want to see it. I'm a David Ayer fan. But are saying it's better then TRAINING DAY? That's big statement if you are. I'll definitely need to check it out.
      I suspect filmgoers will be split 50/50 on that one.
      NOTES / COVERAGE
      15,000+ Screenplays
      [email protected]

Comment

A powerfully immersive movie experience.

Mild spoiler------------

More of a character(s) study done--very skilfully--in semi-documentary style than a plot-driven 'crime drama'. Closing credits tell you explicitly what it is: a paean to the people who stand on the front lines against crime and evil in society.

I liked it, but I don't think it will linger in my thoughts for very long.

Comment

Hmph... now I know why you're booked so far out. Is date night at the movies really as important as my script? Ripley needs new baby shoes after all.
          If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
          Dave Barry

Comment

It's my Fav so far for this year. Slim slim pickins' this year.

Didn't know what to expect, knew it was about the LAPD and the Mexican Drug Cartels. Never expected to be entertained liked that: every emotional experience - Done. Superb dialogue, great performances, liked the POVs.

That scene when PD invaded the Cartel party: it creeped me out. You could feel the intensity. It felt real, and it was real from what Jake G. shared about the shot.

A definite must see.

Next: The Master and Looper.

Comment

Re: End of Watch - Yeah, it's better than Training Day

Wow, this was a great surprise. i don't remember hearing anything about this movie, but I can't believe no one's talking about how hilarious it was. There were five times-- at least -- when the entire audience broke out laughing.

Probably my favorite film this year.

If you're an action junkie, love intense situations, and can handle violence and swearing-- you are gonna love this film. And it's funny, which is an important counter balance to the intense scenes.

****************Spoilers **********************************
              I have to agree with an earlier poster, the cartel party scene was, so intense, I was like WTF... it was like watching actual footage or something-- very intense. Scary even.

They covered a lot of ground on story in an economical way. The entire film is like being on a ride-along.

The filmmakers and actors did a really good job of getting you to identify with the main characters. I loved the whole "white boy-Hispanic" banter, especially when Jake said, "Want me to translate that into His-- spanish" and Mike says, "yeah, translate it into Hispanic." Got a huge laugh from the audience.

They did a good job showing some really horrific situations-- I mean unthinkable stuff (children duct taped in a closest, mutilated human parts, human trafficking)-- and they countered it so well with scenes where they showed the characters coping with the tragedies through humor. These are stellar actors-- without a word they showed us the pain and emotional toll taken.

And the filming style suits the tone and context well.

And, it is better than Training Day.

I think the difference is that End of Watch is really a hero's story--

Good cops doing good things.

Nice to see.

FA4
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

It was cool. Nowhere near the level of Training Day in my opinion. I advise people to go back and watch Training Day. There was no performance close to touching Denzel's performance in Training Day in this movie. I did like it though. Some cool story points and the atmosphere was cool. I liked the two cops. It just was missing something.

There were also a few cringe worthy moments in the film -- notably THE HEY MA scene. lol

I am glad it's doing well. I'm always rooting for crime dramas. Hollywood needs to make more.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                  Wow, this was a great surprise. i don't remember hearing anything about this movie, but I can't believe no one's talking about how hilarious it was. There were five times-- at least -- when the entire audience broke out laughing.

Probably my favorite film this year.

If you're an action junkie, love intense situations, and can handle violence and swearing-- you are gonna love this film. And it's funny, which is an important counter balance to the intense scenes.

****************Spoilers **********************************
                  I have to agree with an earlier poster, the cartel party scene was, so intense, I was like WTF... it was like watching actual footage or something-- very intense. Scary even.

They covered a lot of ground on story in an economical way. The entire film is like being on a ride-along.

The filmmakers and actors did a really good job of getting you to identify with the main characters. I loved the whole "white boy-Hispanic" banter, especially when Jake said, "Want me to translate that into His-- spanish" and Mike says, "yeah, translate it into Hispanic." Got a huge laugh from the audience.

They did a good job showing some really horrific situations-- I mean unthinkable stuff (children duct taped in a closest, mutilated human parts, human trafficking)-- and they countered it so well with scenes where they showed the characters coping with the tragedies through humor. These are stellar actors-- without a word they showed us the pain and emotional toll taken.

And the filming style suits the tone and context well.

And, it is better than Training Day.

I think the difference is that End of Watch is really a hero's story--

Good cops doing good things.

Nice to see.

FA4
                  Totally, it was sooo funny. I never expected that. The dialogue was so natural (still in awe). I'm dying to read the script if anyone has it.

-just askin'.

Comment

Originally posted by explainwht View Post
                    Totally, it was sooo funny. I never expected that. The dialogue was so natural (still in awe). I'm dying to read the script if anyone has it.

-just askin'.
                    Ditto the ask.
                    FA4
                    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Finally caught this on DVD and was excited to watch as a big Ayer fan.

I thought it was pretty bad honestly.

They hit the same beats over (yeah, they're friends and they're regular guys just like me and you - we get it) and over and over and over again and the villains came off as cartoonish.

It took a series of contrivances to finally link up the villains and the heroes and did they really put a random "heroes save the kids from the fire" scene in there?

Plus, there was no real plot.

And the video camera thing was completely unnecessary and only partially deployed, anyways. I wonder if that was an offshoot of the found footage craze. I can picture an exec saying "it would be totally cool if these guys took their own movies -- like in CLOVERFIELD!" It was distracting.

It's fine to do the gritty thing but you still need some semblance of a story. To compare this to TRAINING DAY is borderline insane.
                      "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Haven't seen it, Harsh Times, though, that was a bad movie.

Interesting though, that he sells this big tank spec after making a POV/footage movie. Certainly seems to have paved the way.

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
                        Finally caught this on DVD and was excited to watch as a big Ayer fan.

I thought it was pretty bad honestly.

They hit the same beats over (yeah, they're friends and they're regular guys just like me and you - we get it) and over and over and over again and the villains came off as cartoonish.

It took a series of contrivances to finally link up the villains and the heroes and did they really put a random "heroes save the kids from the fire" scene in there?

Plus, there was no real plot.

And the video camera thing was completely unnecessary and only partially deployed, anyways. I wonder if that was an offshoot of the found footage craze. I can picture an exec saying "it would be totally cool if these guys took their own movies -- like in CLOVERFIELD!" It was distracting.

It's fine to do the gritty thing but you still need some semblance of a story. To compare this to TRAINING DAY is borderline insane.

Comment

Totally agree, 9alt. The ending was pretty bad, as well. Just didn't do it for me.

Comment

I dunno, I really liked it. It's far from perfect, and it was a bit abstract and the pacing/tone felt weird at times, but I thought it was quite powerful - especially towards the end. Definitely not your average movie.

Ayer certainty has a few oddities when writing/directing his own material. That's also what I like about him.

I'd love to see him branch out from the LA-centric stuff he's noted for. He wrote a great sci-fi action spec called LAST MAN, which I think is going nowhere at the moment unfortunately.
                            @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                              I dunno, I really liked it. It's far from perfect, and it was a bit abstract and the pacing/tone felt weird at times, but I thought it was quite powerful - especially towards the end. Definitely not your average movie.

Ayer certainty has a few oddities when writing/directing his own material. That's also what I like about him.

I'd love to see him branch out from the LA-centric stuff he's noted for. He wrote a great sci-fi action spec called LAST MAN, which I think is going nowhere at the moment unfortunately.
                              Loved this film.

And I disagree about the POV hand held, Cloverfield "found footage" style. It's a specific perspective-- a witness of sorts. It's out of the box and maybe that's it's appeal to me. That's a big reason I loved Cloverfield-- that and the Darma Coalition references.

Anyway--

Loved the ending even though I knew what would happen, because it's what I'd do.

Looks like he is, indeed branching out, or back as it were; to 1945 with is spec Fury?

The idea that we experience most of the movie through one of the character's POV was compelling to me.

The ending seemed so hopeless and bleak-- like life can be.

Shocking.

But real.

FA4

Comment

Working...
                              X