No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Originally posted by Travis Fields View Post
    Off-topic a bit:

I don't think there's a good place for tyro writers to "chat" online anymore.
    The Amazin' Craig Mazin had a chat room at his old site, but there's none here.

I don't hang out at Scriptshadow, coz I have qualms about the way Chris Eads is doing business, but there's a pretty good little community over there. There's a pretty good one here, too. And Wordplayer has one.

But you could consider creating your own message board.
    A chat room might prove popular if you can get enough people signed up.

Just remember the snark-proof cage ;-)
    Designed primarily for Go Into The Story's Go On Your Own Quest, but... http://forums.blcklst.com/

Comment

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Originally posted by Storytell View Post
      Thanks, Franklin, for answering all these questions.

Feel better now. You may want to consider posting a FAQ on your website.
      It's coming.

Comment

Originally posted by itsallgood View Post
        Exactly, wrt Repped writers, I think this concern has still not been addressed other than in very generic "industry pro" terms.

On inktip and vpf and even ss you know who reads your script.
        I've addressed this several times on this and other threads. A select group of professional writers will be included as industry professional members based on their other ventures (directing, producing, etc.)

The other reality is that while you may know the first person who receives your script, you never know who that person may have passed it to and who those people may have passed it to. The notion of knowing everyone who has ever read your script is a fiction once it is shared with one person.

At the Black List, we provide traffic volume #s, which is potentially a more accurate representation of the interest in your script than the name of the few individuals it was sent to first.

Comment

Franklin -- So you say that the site could be beneficial to both "aspiring" and even somewhat more "established" writers -- i.e. those with reps and perhaps credits, etc... And on the signup, those with reps and/or credits are told to apply as industry professionals...

Yet -- you're also saying not all writers will be allowed membership -- especially if they don't indicate an inclination toward producing/directing.

How are those writers supposed to post a script then? You tell them not to sign up as "aspiring." But then you ignore their application as professionals.

What would you suggest?

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
            Designed primarily for Go Into The Story's Go On Your Own Quest, but... http://forums.blcklst.com/
            Oh, good.

Fyi, peeps: there's a logline workshop that I didn't see in the Forums until I registered.
            (I believe I saw a message stating that parts of the site are invisible to lurkers).

Pretty quiet over there right now, but I bet it picks up.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred Parker View Post
              Franklin -- So you say that the site could be beneficial to both "aspiring" and even somewhat more "established" writers -- i.e. those with reps and perhaps credits, etc... And on the signup, those with reps and/or credits are told to apply as industry professionals...

Yet -- you're also saying not all writers will be allowed membership -- especially if they don't indicate an inclination toward producing/directing.

How are those writers supposed to post a script then? You tell them not to sign up as "aspiring." But then you ignore their application as professionals.

What would you suggest?
              We've since adjusted our sign up process to encourage all writers to sign up as such. Writers seeking industry professional membership can alert us to that in any number of ways, and we'll grant that membership when appropriate.

Comment

That Scriptshadow guy isn't one of the industry professionals with access to the uploaded screenplays, is he?

Comment

Appears that the glitch was corrected. I received my first paid review a few minutes ago.

Franklin,

Can you explain what happens once a script has a read with a rating? I have looked at your scale of 1-10 (posted below) but my question is, at what rating level (and with how many ratings?) does a script either begin to show up in other places (if you liked this script you'll like these...) and being included in any emails to prospective industry folks?

RATING SCALE

Love it. A one in fifty script.

Like it. Better than 75% of what you read.

Take it or leave it. Just as likely that you'll like the next script you read better than this one.

Didn't like it. You like 75% of what you read better than you like this script.

Hate it. So singularly bad it deserves special recognition for being so.

So would 7 and above be a good script? 8? 9?

And what part do reader comments play? For example, I received a comment that was very positive in the STRENGTHS section "This script could be actor / director bait; it's a fun and funny story and an enjoyable read." Does that matter?

I hope my question makes sense. I am just looking for further explanation about ratings and reader comments and how they impact the distribution of the script on your site.

Thank you for all of your answers thus far. I appreciate it and am quite optimistic about what you have created.

Comment

Tried to upload a script, but you apparently already have a script by that name. It won't let me upload my info, keeps auto-typing the info of the other script by that name. How do I get around this?

Comment

Originally posted by one seven spectrum View Post
                      That Scriptshadow guy isn't one of the industry professionals with access to the uploaded screenplays, is he?
                      Individuals with a history of making screenplays available to the public without the explicit permission of the writer are not welcome in our industry professional membership.
                      Last edited by FranklinLeonard; 10-22-2012, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wickedlies View Post
                        Appears that the glitch was corrected. I received my first paid review a few minutes ago.

Franklin,

Can you explain what happens once a script has a read with a rating? I have looked at your scale of 1-10 (posted below) but my question is, at what rating level (and with how many ratings?) does a script either begin to show up in other places (if you liked this script you'll like these...) and being included in any emails to prospective industry folks?

RATING SCALE

Love it. A one in fifty script.

Like it. Better than 75% of what you read.

Take it or leave it. Just as likely that you'll like the next script you read better than this one.

Didn't like it. You like 75% of what you read better than you like this script.

Hate it. So singularly bad it deserves special recognition for being so.

So would 7 and above be a good script? 8? 9?

And what part do reader comments play? For example, I received a comment that was very positive in the STRENGTHS section "This script could be actor / director bait; it's a fun and funny story and an enjoyable read." Does that matter?

I hope my question makes sense. I am just looking for further explanation about ratings and reader comments and how they impact the distribution of the script on your site.

Thank you for all of your answers thus far. I appreciate it and am quite optimistic about what you have created.
                        First off, thank you for flagging this text from our website. It is dated and no longer applies directly.

You can get a sense of the distribution of ratings from the Community Rating Distribution graph on our site, and we will be publishing additional analysis to the public on at least a monthly basis.

Early this week, once enough ratings (approx 100) have come in to provide some context for the ratings of new and available screenplays, notifications will be going out to industry professional members re: the highly rated scripts on our site. That includes the "if you like this, you may also like this," "top lists," "recommendations."

Comment

Originally posted by Joaneasley View Post
                          Tried to upload a script, but you apparently already have a script by that name. It won't let me upload my info, keeps auto-typing the info of the other script by that name. How do I get around this?
                          This is surprising as we've already had multiple scripts uploaded with the same name. Consider adding a space at the end and then deleting that space so that it's not autocompleting.

Comment

Franklin, thanks for your time and informative posts.

I really think your site could shift the paradigm somewhat. As a repped writer I often wonder if my manager is doing enough for me. And the obvious answer to that is: no. He's just one guy, with dozens of clients, and his network is only so big. How do I know, really, if he's turning over every stone for me? Posting on your site would definitely get more eyes on my work than my manager can, and to be honest, that's what I want right now.

As a sort of f/u question to an earlier post of mine, do you have any sort of ETA as to when the tv interface will be up and running? In an earlier post you mentioned "soon" - does that mean in the coming weeks, or six months down the road? Don't mean to push you on this, but I'm really quite excited for it...

Best,
                            Calc

Comment

That seemed like it should have worked. I tried adding a space before, after, and in between the two words. I also tried adding an asterisk, quotation marks, and an exclamation point, but the autotyping still gives the other writer all the credit. Perhaps you can give me an address to email the info and you guys can enter it? Or maybe the autotyping used to be off but now it's on and could be turned off again?

Comment

Franklin,

Excellent to hear that as early as this week we will see the sites reviews begin to effect things.

- Will the average rating that currently appears as 6.93 continue to be tied to the professional scripts already on the site or will it be only a result of the new uploads and reviews? I imagine that could make a big difference in the avg rating.

- Is it safe to assume that wherever the site's avg rating lands, scripts with ratings higher than that would be in a favorable position in terms of gaining traffic?

- Are the paid readers (or anyone who scores a script for that matter) only allowed to grade on a hard number, rather than say scoring 8.5? Are they forced to choose 8 or 9 in that scenario?

Comment

Working...
                                X