No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
    Individuals with a history of making screenplays available to the public without the explicit permission of the writer is not welcome in our industry professional membership.
    I love this answer. So diplomatic.

Comment

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Originally posted by The Calculator View Post
      Franklin, thanks for your time and informative posts.

I really think your site could shift the paradigm somewhat. As a repped writer I often wonder if my manager is doing enough for me. And the obvious answer to that is: no. He's just one guy, with dozens of clients, and his network is only so big. How do I know, really, if he's turning over every stone for me? Posting on your site would definitely get more eyes on my work than my manager can, and to be honest, that's what I want right now.

As a sort of f/u question to an earlier post of mine, do you have any sort of ETA as to when the tv interface will be up and running? In an earlier post you mentioned "soon" - does that mean in the coming weeks, or six months down the road? Don't mean to push you on this, but I'm really quite excited for it...

Best,
      Calc
      Right now, we're focused on improving the site as much as possible in service of those who have already signed up and those who will in the coming weeks.

We hope to be able to accommodate TV scripts and others in the first quarter of 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Joaneasley View Post
        That seemed like it should have worked. I tried adding a space before, after, and in between the two words. I also tried adding an asterisk, quotation marks, and an exclamation point, but the autotyping still gives the other writer all the credit. Perhaps you can give me an address to email the info and you guys can enter it? Or maybe the autotyping used to be off but now it's on and could be turned off again?
        Please contact us at [email protected] and I'll have our CTO Dino Sijamic help you through this.

Comment

I will only register when the review goes up before the month starts.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
            I will only register when the review goes up before the month starts.
            While Franklin may ultimately do something like that, the point seems missed on some folks out here - the hosting of the script and the paid read are separate purchases and the read is not required to place your script on the site.

He has two customers to serve, the writers posting scripts and the industry folks looking for GOOD scripts.

Satisfying every broke writers desire to get as much bang for their buck as possible seems a fairly easy call - not a chance. Anything that increases the amount of bad scripts on the site diminishes the value of the service. One of the ways to guard against having an inventory of bad scripts is to price them out of the market and BL3.0 seems to have hit the exact right dollar amount to do just that.

Comment

Originally posted by wickedlies View Post
              Anything that increases the amount of bad scripts on the site diminishes the value of the service.
              You realize having the script ranked before it gets posted online will lower the number of bad scripts?

One, a bad ranking means less people will bother to read it.
              Two, a bad ranking might convince the author to take it down himself, before or after the month is over.

It doesn't have to be mandatory, but it'd be a nice option to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Anagram View Post
                You realize having the script ranked before it gets posted online will lower the number of bad scripts?

One, a bad ranking means less people will bother to read it.
                Two, a bad ranking might convince the author to take it down himself, before or after the month is over.

It doesn't have to be mandatory, but it'd be a nice option to have.
                Agreed - If I received a 6 (knock on wood), why would I post? Of course, this way I pay the extra $25 (or more, depending on how long it takes to get the read back to me), so it makes sense monetarilly speaking to do it this way, but that's it.
                www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
                http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Originally posted by wickedlies View Post
                  Franklin,

Excellent to hear that as early as this week we will see the sites reviews begin to effect things.

- Will the average rating that currently appears as 6.93 continue to be tied to the professional scripts already on the site or will it be only a result of the new uploads and reviews? I imagine that could make a big difference in the avg rating.

- Is it safe to assume that wherever the site's avg rating lands, scripts with ratings higher than that would be in a favorable position in terms of gaining traffic?

- Are the paid readers (or anyone who scores a script for that matter) only allowed to grade on a hard number, rather than say scoring 8.5? Are they forced to choose 8 or 9 in that scenario?
                  Good questions all.

1. We're going to be breaking out those numbers in the coming weeks so that the data is more helpful to us, to writers, and to our industry professional members. We're data junkies here, so trust that you'll see all kinds of fun stuff with numbers in the coming weeks.

2. Safe to assume that the higher the rating the more likely a script is to see traffic. Difficult to say what the proverbial Mendoza line will be for scripts to see ANY traffic, but I'd probably guess that the community average is reasonable speculation.

3. Paid readers are only allowed to grade a whole number. No fractions, decimals, or irrational numbers allowed.

Comment

Franklin -

I've seen a couple of references to a competitive site and service. When I heard your explanation during John and Craig's Podcast show in Austin, that was my first thought. Am I right in understanding the significant difference is your base of executives and readers? Or is it deeper than that?

Comment

Originally posted by Joaneasley View Post
                      That seemed like it should have worked. I tried adding a space before, after, and in between the two words. I also tried adding an asterisk, quotation marks, and an exclamation point, but the autotyping still gives the other writer all the credit. Perhaps you can give me an address to email the info and you guys can enter it? Or maybe the autotyping used to be off but now it's on and could be turned off again?
                      You can just delete or overwrite that autocomplete info with your details.

Comment

As much as I hoped it would be a new entry point, I can't recommend the new Black List. A terribly disappointing, unprofessional evaluation riddled with typos - I wouldn't pay a nickel for it, let alone $50. I canceled my account.
                        Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Sweeney View Post
                          As much as I hoped it would be a new entry point, I can't recommend the new Black List. A terribly disappointing, unprofessional evaluation riddled with typos - I wouldn't pay a nickel for it, let alone $50. I canceled my account.
                          Wow. Was this for your monster flick? Maybe they've been swamped with submissions. Or, as is usually the case, you've simply gotten what you paid for. I'm guessing the quality of BL 3.0's $50 coverage isn't quite on the same level as Script PIMP's $350 Studio Notes.
                          I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Unfortunately I must also concur with Patrick.

But to be fair this might become a viable service after they get through the start up period.

Comment

Someone want to post a sample so we can see what it looks like?

Comment

Leonard must have learned something (seen dollar signs) from his buddy Scott Myers (GoIntoTheStory -- the "official blog" of The Black List), who has also begun cashing in on wanna-be writers with his very expensive "Master" classes -- this from the writer of "K-9" and a guy who hasn't had a movie made from his work in 25 years. Pretty sad, especially when we consider how gullible many aspiring writers are when it comes to coughing up money.

Comment

Working...
                                X