No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Hey Franklin, one more question - is there some reason why you guys decided to get rid of the "Recently Uploaded Scripts" section? I know writers have gotten more than a few impressions off of those from people whose interest was piqued by script titles (and a few more eyes certainly doesn't hurt)...
    "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

• New to the Arena (Blacklist questions)

Hi,

New here...

I just finished a screenplay with a buddy. I am not that much of a writer but we liked the concept so we went through with it. I uploaded it on the blacklist site and paid for a review. It got a 5 right off the bat. I didn't understand the site until I read more about it on here. So like an idiot I bought a second review. I am assuming that I should have just revised the script then bought another review after I posted the revision. Anyway, now my rating is 4.5 as the second review was lower. Both reviews were pretty similar so that was encouraging. I now know what to focus on during the revision process. The weird thing is though I just had 2 pro downloads and 5 pro views yesterday.

My questions: Is this traffic normal? Should I keep the original script up or revise right away? What does a pro download mean? What does a pro view mean? Can peers read scripts or just view the script page? If the revision gets a better rating do the original lower ratings effect the score?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

HAP
      Last edited by hapdigital; 06-25-2013, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

So all they do is give a 1-10 for premise, dialogue, character, etc, and then move on, and then post it?

EJ

Comment

The recently uploaded scripts list still exists on the industry pro side. In fact, it's the first list on the home page.

The lists now run horizontally left to right in an scroll as long as the list is.

Check out the WHAT THIS MEANS... FOR UNREPRESENTED WRITERS section of East, West, and Everything in Between: Another Big Step

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
            So all they do is give a 1-10 for premise, dialogue, character, etc, and then move on, and then post it?

EJ
            For the paid evaluations, they give a complete evaluation. The ratings by overall and by category as well as the strengths, weaknesses, and commercial prospects.

If they're reading a script that they have not been assigned and rating it, they simply rate it from 1-10, just like our other industry professional members do.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
              As with before, you still have the ability to hide your distribution. We made the change because the distribution of ratings is a far better representation of a script's reception than a simple average score.
              Found it now, thanks. If you select the EV option, how does that affect what the pro sees? By that I mean do they still see the cumulative average score first (which may put them off investigating and finding the scores were 8, 9, 8, 1) or are they first hit with the breakdown?
              M.A.G.A.

Comment

• Re: New to the Arena (Blacklist questions)

Welcome!

Originally posted by hapdigital View Post
                Hi,

New here...

I just finished a screenplay with a buddy. I am not that much of a writer but we liked the concept so we went through with it. I uploaded it on the blacklist site and paid for a review. It got a 5 right off the bat. I didn't understand the site until I read more about it on here. So like an idiot I bought a second review. I am assuming that I should have just revised the script then bought another review after I posted the revision. Anyway, now my rating is 4.5 as the second review was lower. Both reviews were pretty similar so that was encouraging. I now know what to focus on during the revision process. The weird thing is though I just had 2 pro downloads and 5 pro views yesterday.

My questions: Is this traffic normal? Should I keep the original script up or revise right away? What does a pro download mean? What does a pro view mean? Can peers read scripts or just view the script page? If the revision gets a better rating do the original lower ratings effect the score?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

HAP

Comment

Does anyone think that the newly-designed BL site is more functional? Easier to use? (Beyond the function for applying tags.)

Comment

I'm finding it hard to navigate. I just renewed my script. I loved the "recently uploaded" section. Now I feel like my script is lost in a jumble.
                    http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
                      I loved the "recently uploaded" section. Now I feel like my script is lost in a jumble.
                      Fear not. Couple posts up from yours (it's definitely hard to keep track of how much has transpired in this thread since the last time you opened it):

The recently uploaded scripts list still exists on the industry pro side. In fact, it's the first list on the home page.

The lists now run horizontally left to right in an scroll as long as the list is.
                      "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
                      Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

Originally posted by WaitForIt View Post
                        Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
                        I'm finding it hard to navigate. I just renewed my script. I loved the "recently uploaded" section. Now I feel like my script is lost in a jumble.
                        Fear not. Couple posts up from yours (it's definitely hard to keep track of how much has transpired in this thread since the last time you opened it):

Well, if it ever was "fear not", as you say, then I would reply, Fear.

It used to be "Recently Uploaded" scripts. Now it's "Recently Added" scripts. "Recently Added" seems to mean new only; revisions are no longer listed. (I assume that is intentional. Anyway, it appears to not be what it used to be.)

It used to be that writers and pros could see a page listing 20 or so titles at a time, scroll down once, see 20 or so more. Now it's 4 at a time, click, wait, see one more, click, wait, see one more. And so to scroll sideways through the 100 newest scripts, you now have to click and wait 96 times.

The result of the new design is that it's now much less a place for browsing; it's much more for specific searching. Maybe that's the intent, but from a web-design POV, that's a big functional change.

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
                          Well, if it ever was "fear not", as you say, then I would reply, Fear.

It used to be "Recently Uploaded" scripts. Now it's "Recently Added" scripts. "Recently Added" seems to mean new only; revisions are no longer listed. (I assume that is intentional. Anyway, it appears to not be what it used to be.)

It used to be that writers and pros could see a page listing 20 or so titles at a time, scroll down once, see 20 or so more. Now it's 4 at a time, click, wait, see one more, click, wait, see one more. And so to scroll sideways through the 100 newest scripts, you now have to click and wait 96 times.

The result of the new design is that it's now much less a place for browsing; it's much more for specific searching. Maybe that's the intent, but from a web-design POV, that's a big functional change.
                          I would say that the "recently added" scripts section is far less trafficked than you'd expect, both in this and its former iteration.

Most traffic is generated by the top lists and search, which is why we opted to foreground the further and present a deeper dive into it via the endless scroll on the home page.

Now, in addition to the recently added scripts (recommendations, and a single top unproduced and top uploaded list), industry members - and writers too - see the following lists (all are left-right scrollable with an indication of the #s of scripts that are included in each list):

Top Unproduced Scripts
                          Top Uploaded Scripts
                          Top Unrepresented Scripts
                          Top Recommendations

Top Unproduced Action & Adventure Scripts
                          Top Uploaded Action & Adventure Scripts
                          Top Unrepresented Action & Adventure Scripts
                          Top Action & Adventure Recommendations

And so on for every major genre.

Further, clicking on any of those lists takes the user to the top lists page presearched with that list.

It's early days admittedly, but I can say that downloads are up markedly. I fully admit that they may turn down when things aren't quite so new, but the initial numbers are strong. (It's something we'll monitor closely, since the last thing we want to do is reduce exposure for strong scripts.)

Lastly, the new design allows for more information to be displayed per screenplay (genres, logline, a direct link to download) than we could in the previous design.

Please keep the feedback coming. We want it. You can always email us via the addresses or the feedback link on the site. And we monitor social media pretty closely.

Comment

Since this thread has now gone over 2,300 posts, I've asked Franklin to start a new Black List thread (part 2) for him to answer questions & receive feedback in so it will be easier for people to navigate through.

We'll keep this one around for reference as needed. Thanks.
                            Will
                            Done Deal Pro
                            www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Working...
                            X