No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

That's why Nicholl is great - two reads.
    www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
    http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Hm, I got my 7 from the reader and it's been all quiet since.
      Wonder what will happen next.

Hm.

Maybe some pros would like to take a look? The script's really good value for money.

https://blcklst.com/members/script/4234

edit: haha, bitter script reader offered to read folk's scripts on BL and got drowned with requests in matter of hours ;-)

Comment

Emily, is there any way to ban people whose entire purpose on dd is to troll and disrupt serious threads? It's sucking the oxygen out of so many productive conversations.

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
          Actually, it means a script that Geoff likes got a good review. Or some number of good reviews. And it means the algorithm worked for Geoff.

Otherwise, by implication, you're saying that the only scripts you've ever rated as "good" were also judged as "good" by all other readers.

I'm not saying I'm for or against BL and its readers. I just think "Good writing gets good reviews" is a silly thing to say. Some bad writing gets good reviews and vice-versa. And Michael, I'd be surprised if you haven't seen that happen.
          This is one of those reading too much into what I say situations.

There is ALWAYS an exception to the rule.

But in that case, good writing got a good review, and I'd like to think that happens far more often than not.

Best,

Michael
          twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Interestingly, my second script's gone completely ignored by competitions and gets a 7 on blacklist.

There's something to be said about something about that, though I'm not sure what yet.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
              I was going to start another thread on this but figured might as well post it here.

While I am not going to say the rating system is perfect, I think more than anything, you are finding out that most of the scripts that the tens of thousands of aspiring writes out there send out thinking are ready for Hollywood are just not good.

I will repeat that, are just not good.

This service is comparing you to established pro writers. You are not in an amateur competition, winning the best of the rookies, but are going up against the pros.

For most of you, this is shedding light on how far away you are from being ready for Hollywood and how your work stands up against the pros.

Again, everything is subjective, but I think you'll find when compared to those playing in the big leagues, the numbers are probably somewhat in line. These, as Franklin said, are professional readers.

BUT, all of that can change with your next script. Every pro writer has that moment when it all comes together and they write that script that is THE ONE. While many amateurs will never have that moment (just being realistic), all you can do is keep writing.

Hope this sheds some realistic light on to all of the ratings. I'm one of a thousand executives on the site that looks over the amateur script ratings WANTING to find something. No other site can say that.

Best,

MB
              Quoting this for those that missed it.
              twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by goldmund View Post
                https://blcklst.com/members/script/4234

edit: haha, bitter script reader offered to read folk's scripts on BL and got drowned with requests in matter of hours ;-)

Yeah, with 400 new joins since I joined a week ago, not surprising!

(And if anyone wants to read a story about a girl who loses her father and copes with the situation through a magical necklace that turns her into a bird at night, Back by Sunrise is on there - https://www.blcklst.com/members/script/4147)
                www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
                http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Originally posted by halloweenjak
                  God, I hope this is a reference to me.
                  Why would you hope he's referring to you in regards to a troll or someone disrupting productive conversations? Unless, of course, that's what your goal is.

Comment

Good for Moss and Gold for getting 7's from tough readers. Would that be like a consider? I would expect that's a high enough score to get reads. Keep us posted.
                    "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                      Emily, is there any way to ban people whose entire purpose on dd is to troll and disrupt serious threads? It's sucking the oxygen out of so many productive conversations.
                      I know it SEEMS like I'm always here, but sometimes I step away from the computer.

Don't forget about the "Report post" button. That lets whoever is around at the time know something is going on right away.

But in answer to your question, yes. We do ban. We don't like to do it, so we usually warn them first. If someone has posted something objectionable, report them and we will take action.

If you look around, and suddenly someone you used to hate is gone, if you listen really carefully you might hear a boot hitting somebody's butt.
                      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by cshel View Post
                        Good for Moss and Gold for getting 7's from tough readers. Would that be like a consider? I would expect that's a high enough score to get reads. Keep us posted.
                        Cheers! Well, along with the reader's review came 3-4 immediate downloads, so it seems the subscribers are notified of higher rankings very fast.

Comment

Wow.

There are no conspiracies. There is no golden ticket. There is a website which may or may not have any value.

Chill the fvck out.

Comment

My goal is to expose egomania.

And I achieve that on a daily basis here at DD. ( not just my own, either )

I just love the sound of harumphing pros.

But let's stick to the point of the thread rather than derail it, shall we.

Great writing always gets recognized is their position. Discuss.
                            I know I shouldn't reply to this at a risk of derailing the post further, but I just want to say the pros with egos that you're supposedly trying to expose are incredibly generous people that donate an incredible amount of their time to help writers both on and off this board. There are tons of stories of other members getting opportunities because of the pros. I know for a fact they've gone out of their way to help me. And frankly, that's how the industry you're shitting on seems to be in general. Every manager, assistant, agent, and writer I've had contact with has been nothing but courteous and professional.
                            Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by goldmund View Post
                              Cheers! Well, along with the reader's review came 3-4 immediate downloads, so it seems the subscribers are notified of higher rankings very fast.
                              Cool. Hope it turns out well.
                              "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

But let's stick to the point of the thread rather than derail it, shall we.

Great writing always gets recognized is their position. Discuss.
                                Actually that's not the point of the thread. Why don't you start a new thread asking this question? It's actually a good one, and deserves its own discussion.

If you'd like to stay in the thread, let's get back to questions about the Black List. I'm sure people still have some.
                                Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Working...
                                X