No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Originally posted by stainjm View Post
    Weaknesses: ... The plot of a child rebelling, getting lost, and trying to find their way home feels very familiar.
    Yeh, 'cause the last thing a 7-year-old wants to see is a familiar story. You know - just like that one that came out like, I think, maybe in 2005. Right?

stainjm, I see your point.

And this weakness: "The rhyming dialogue often feels forced and could grow tiresome with older audiences, but children may forgive or appreciate it"?

If a reader can't or won't give a straight-up opinion on whether kids will or won't like the rhyming, seems he/she should have handed it off to someone else to read.

It's like commenting, "Well, one weakness is that the script's written in French, which might grow tiresome for most Americans, but Francophones might appreciate that."

All that said, of course it could be there are 10 other "issues" on which the reader based that score.

Comment

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Thanks for the input, I agree. If there were other issues, which of course I doubt, the script is awesome, in my humble opinion - then I sure wish he/she would have told me.

And I know, right? I thought readers were being assigned based on genre, and this person sure doesn't seem to be. Oh well.
      www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
      http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Originally posted by wickedlies View Post
        While I am hopeful that this will be resolved, the site offers little to no functionality when it comes to searching for scripts, leaving only the scripts BL3.0 promotes a chance at reads. I like everything I've heard from Franklin but I am uncertain what the logic is behind having an inventory of scripts that can't be searched and sorted.
        Search is a function we continue to explain. Be aware though that scripts can be searched based on the content of their logline via the "Logline" option connected to the site's search bar.

Further search functionality will be added in the very near future Sandy-permitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred Parker View Post
          Question for Franklin: This is a very specific scenario I'm thinking about... So a writer finds out there are a couple scripts "listed" in the BL database that a previous rep may have shown to a few people at some point in the past. They're just listed -- no ratings but there is a logline on one.

That particular project was maybe only shown to 5 or 6 people at the time it was first written. And now it's been substantially updated. But the writer either has new reps (who don't care about old material) or no reps at all... And he/she would like to put the script up on the site and pay for a read... What do you advise for "cleanest" way to do that in light of the same title already being listed in the database from the past?

Thanks for all the time effort you've put into answering questions so far... and thanks in advance for continuing to do so.
          I need a bit of additional information in order to make sure I can answer this question correctly: Is this a script hosted on the site or is it one whose general information is included in our database but the script itself is not currently uploaded?

Comment

All the extreme negative reviews posted here have the same misspelling of "strengths" and the same repetition of "genre" instead of "pages". The positive reviews don't.

Could all these reviews be coming from one person?
            ==========

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
              Franklin did not respond to another question I had, is that clearly, a writer who pays only $25 to host the script is at a disadvantage versus the writer who has paid $50 plus for one or multiple reads. But yeah, the "recently discovered writer", he paid for coverage.
              Must have missed your question. Any script that gets ratings (whether they be from a paid reader of ours or from a industry pro member) has an advantage over those that do not. We provide the option to pay for those evaluations to catalyze the process, but other writers may have other avenues to get their scripts read and rated by our industry professional membership and we encourage them to do that if they so desire.

Fundamentally, our industry professional members are looking for high quality screenplays. We, in turn, are looking to alert them to high quality screenplays, and only high quality screenplays.

Comment

Originally posted by Crashlander View Post
                Here's the coverage for ENTANGLEMENT (https://www.blcklst.com/members/script/4130)

I think this is an accurate and fair assessment, so that's good. I'd be encouraged to order another paid read. I like being judged at EXTREME PRO-LEVELTM. It's fun.
                Congrats on the strong review, Crashlander! I'm guessing entanglement refers to quantum entanglement. That's an amazing hook, especially since recent studies have shown that this process can actually bypass time.
                I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
                  I need a bit of additional information in order to make sure I can answer this question correctly: Is this a script hosted on the site or is it one whose general information is included in our database but the script itself is not currently uploaded?
                  It's just one that is "listed" in the database with the basic information and logline. Was surprised it was even there as it only went to 5 or 6 people that I'm aware of (and this a couple years ago).

I mean that's my assumption -- you guys don't HOST anything other than these most recent uploads since you started the new service, right? Or do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Hasil Adkins View Post
                    All the extreme negative reviews posted here have the same misspelling of "strengths" and the same repetition of "genre" instead of "pages". The positive reviews don't.

Could all these reviews be coming from one person?

I sure hope not! That would mean they are DEFINITELY not assigning readers to specific genres (I read a thriller script that would have therefore been rated by the guy who read my children's animated script)...

That could be a question for Franklin - are you assigning readers with expertise in the genre?
                    www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
                    http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Originally posted by stainjm View Post
                      That could be a question for Franklin - are you assigning readers with expertise in the genre?
                      I was going to ask this question the other day, but the answer was somewhere in the FAQ. He says that he won't give a romcom reader a horror script.

Comment

Thank you, Franklin. The twitter chat feed last night was very buggy.
                        http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Hasil Adkins View Post
                          I got a semi-positive review and "strengths" is misspelled. It's very likely that heading is being inserted by the code and just needs to be corrected by a developer at some point.

Comment

Stain and Crashlander: Did you guys pay for the reads on the first day?

I signed up for a read two weeks ago and still don't know what's going on. I finally e-mailed (literally just now) them, but am waiting on a reply.

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
                              Stain and Crashlander: Did you guys pay for the reads on the first day?

I signed up for a read two weeks ago and still don't know what's going on. I finally e-mailed (literally just now) them, but am waiting on a reply.
                              Paid for one read on first day and it took a week. Paid for second read last Sunday and still waiting

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred Parker View Post
                                It's just one that is "listed" in the database with the basic information and logline. Was surprised it was even there as it only went to 5 or 6 people that I'm aware of (and this a couple years ago).

I mean that's my assumption -- you guys don't HOST anything other than these most recent uploads since you started the new service, right? Or do you?
                                We don't host anything unless it's been uploaded by the writer him or herself. Iron clad rule.

Please email us directly and we'll get you sorted. You can find our contact email address here: http://blcklst.com/about/

Comment

Working...
                                X