No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Originally posted by stainjm View Post

But (and this was my fault for not realizing when I paid that these reviews were not meant to be any help to us) I don't like when someone gives it a negative score and doesn't have much of a reason. If it's a studio, I imagine they would have told me more if they wanted me to come back with a revision, so I take it somewhere else, right? I suppose this can be the same with BL, meaning pay for another read, but with a baby coming in a month I think I have to suck it up and save that moolah.
    It doesn't make it any less annoying, but I've received development notes that are as simple as, "This isn't working for us." You can ask for clarification all you want, but in the end, you have to try and figure out why something isn't hitting for them and do your best to fix it.

As far as the Blacklist goes, I think it'll do far better than Inktip. It's algorithms, as well as the fact that some high caliber members are taking a look at it, set it apart. As does its brand. I don't expect it will break tons of new writers, but I do think we'll see a few major success stories involving several different types of scripts.

Pre-congrats on the baby, by the way. If it's your first, look forward to completely revamping your daily schedule in order to get a few sacred hours per week for writing. (It's completely doable, though)
    QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

I get what Knaight is saying. There is detective work involved in deciphering notes. It would be great if people could elaborate, but obviously you don't always have that luxury.

With the "familiar" note: an example might be a story about a burnt out cop that is hunting for the killer that murdered his wife. Nothing fresh about the idea itself but it can be executed in a way to make it fresh. If however you're opening this type of story with the cop hungover on his couch surrounded by empty whiskey bottles, then you're waist deep in that "familiar" territory.

I think sometimes "familiar" can mean the same tropes we've been seen before -- hitting those same beats/ideas/visuals that this type of story commonly offers.

But it's impossible to say without having read the script.

Comment

But (and this was my fault for not realizing when I paid that these reviews were not meant to be any help to us) I don't like when someone gives it a negative score and doesn't have much of a reason. If it's a studio, I imagine they would have told me more if they wanted me to come back with a revision, so I take it somewhere else, right? I suppose this can be the same with BL, meaning pay for another read, but with a baby coming in a month I think I have to suck it up and save that moolah.
        Well, I read the comments you posted and I did think you received a reason. "Very familiar" seems to me to be a gentle way of saying "cliche, overdone, not unique". And the note about the rhyming dialogue that kids might not mind seemed to me to be a gentle way of saying "contrived".

Since I have not read your script, of course I have no way of knowing if that is an accurate assessment, but that is how I would have interpreted those notes.

Comment

Thank you guys (/gals?)!

I have a hard time with the note because other reviews have hit on the originality of where the story goes - but I get that maybe now I need to sit back and think, hmm, this reader found it maybe too familiar, so how can I address that?

Of course the rhymes - If you're curious - I feel they are like a beard in the sense that some girls love guys with beards, some don't, but very few seem to be in between. And that seems to be the sense of the workshopping as well, so I think I'll stick to my gut on this one -- plus birds can't just talk to each other, that would be weird!
          www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
          http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Wait, is all the dialogue rhyming dialogue?

Comment

It's one read by one anonymous reader. I don't think I'd try to read too much/change too much based on it. It got passed on. There are a thousand other opportunities out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mossbraker View Post
                Wait, is all the dialogue rhyming dialogue?
                No, that would be tiring (although I once read a script like that, but it kinda worked because it was with knights and well done - Nicholls QF) - mine just has two characters that are birds, and they rhyme - but I try to avoid them saying stuff too much so it's not overwhelming (hence my Timmy the mouse character).

Thanks Jeff, I will keep that in mind.

Want a free book?

Comment

There's a separate top list for "hosted" (i.e. our) scripts now. There are 8 scripts, each with at least 2 ratings and the minimum score of 8.

So, 2 reads and score of 8 seems to be the bourn.

Comment

Nice, thanks for sharing - this one looks amazing - Tutankhamen (not sure if it's cool to post other's loglines here - but it sounds sweet. I'd watch it.)

Want a free book?

Comment

Thank you - I am thinking though (just realized this) - if I put 'Animation, Action/Adventure, and Childrens' as my genres, in theory the reader could request Action/Adventure and get my children's animation right?

If that's the case I feel real dumb for putting action/adventure (although it is), since it is obviously a kids script and that is the thing the reader seemed to dock it on.

So, new plan I think: Probably take it down, get feedback from people, then resubmit as just animation/ childrens (unless Franklin tells me I'm wrong about this). Sound smart?
                      You're right that someone searching for Action/Adventure may stumble upon your script, which is also a Children's Animation film. Remember though that as much as people are looking for scripts to produce, they are also looking for writers with whom to work. If your script includes Action/Adventure elements, it's reasonable to assume that someone who responds to it may be interested in future work whether or not they're currently making animated films.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                        When averaging out script ratings which would give a decimal otherwise when split in two, does the rating scale up or down?
                        We, and our algorithm, works with numbers other than whole ones.

Not sure of the context in which you're asking.

Comment

Thank you for responding to that question, it will help me think about how I want to approach posting on the BL in the future.

Want a free book?

Comment

For you reps out there. If you want a kid with potential go read TUTANKHAMEN. That kid has the goods. Not only that he wrote a blockbuster movie. I take back my criticism, I think this BL site can work really well. Because I'm assuming most people wouldn't have read a script like TUTANKHAMEN if it was queried.

Somebody better sign this kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post
                              For you reps out there. If you want a kid with potential go read TUTANKHAMEN. That kid has the goods. Not only that he wrote a blockbuster movie. I take back my criticism, I think this BL site can work really well. Because I'm assuming most people wouldn't have read a script like TUTANKHAMEN if it was queried.

Somebody better sign this kid.
                              Read half of it last night. Good stuff so far.

And the fact that I'm reading it, based on the BL recommendation, should show how well the site is working.

Best,

MB
                              twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Are we talking about a re-titled PHARAOH here?
                                QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Working...
                                X