No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Originally posted by Chief View Post
    But wouldn't that prove the point of some people saying it's all about the concept (logline)?

I think writers prefer to send query letters and then wait for weeks with false hope. 'Maybe they didn't receive it?' 'Maybe they accidental deleted it' etc.
    Um, the concept is INSANELY important. Yes, the logline matters. Big time.

This new thread would be an amazing opportunity for writers to see what types of ideas someone might spark to. If Michael's up for it, Jules should go ahead and get things going.
    QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Originally posted by Jules View Post
      You could just post in in his thread in the agents/managers section.

I think at one point it might be fun to start an open query to Michael B thread, where everyone can openly post a query and logline for him to consider.

This would of course only be for the bravest.
      Originally posted by michaelb View Post
      Go for it. But in fully disclosure, I only have to respond with a yes or a no if I don't feel like writing more. And no one else can chime in on others loglines so the thread can stay focused.

Best,

MB
      This sounds great.

I like the rules too, as it'd get crowded pretty fast otherwise.
      Last edited by Anagram; 10-31-2012, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Btw here's an update to anyone's interested: 50 impressions and three downloads for the day for my action thriller RUN.
        Last edited by lordmanji; 10-31-2012, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Lordmanji, are you able to see who did the downloads?

By the way, congrats!

Late Night Writer

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
            Um, the concept is INSANELY important. Yes, the logline matters. Big time.
            Yes and no. Obviously, a writer needs to be able to come up with a decent logline. That's almost the first skills he/she needs to be able to communicate.

As for concept, some stories are concept driven and others aren't, period.

"Neurotic New York writer has off-on relationship with neurotic actor/ artist / intellectual" could describe more than one Woody Allen flick.

"Guy meets girl in Europe and has conversation for 90 minutes." Two of my favorite flicks of all time, so LOW concept that they actually become high concept.

Likely to win over a rep with a cold query? Hell no. Likely to end up on critics' Best 10 films of the year? Hell yeah.

Either way, kuddos for MB for going for it, should be an interesting experiment!

Sorry for derailing thread further, obviously this should be separate.

Comment

Originally posted by LateNightWriter View Post
              Lordmanji, are you able to see who did the downloads?

By the way, congrats!

Late Night Writer
              Unfortunately, no. But my contact info is on the script so really it's up to the downloader. I think this system is to protect his/her anonymity.

Comment

Hi Franklin,

are ratings and the number of ratings the sole factor in including an uploaded script in a top list? When I filter for thriller, there are scripts with identical score (and number of ratings) as mine. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by goldmund View Post
                  Hi Franklin,

are ratings and the number of ratings the sole factor in including an uploaded script in a top list? When I filter for thriller, there are scripts with identical score (and number of ratings) as mine. :-(
                  Same here. there are actually worse rated scripts ahead of mine. double :-(

I wonder if it adjusts for the type of reader or if the systems just not up and running correctly yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Margie Kaptanoglu View Post
                    My script, A MATCH MADE IN HELL, has also made the Top Scripts list for Uploaded scripts. If you additionally filter your search by Romantic Comedy, mine is number one today.

In case anyone with a pro membership would like to check it out: https://www.blcklst.com/members/script/4601
                    Congrats Margie!

Comment

Thanks, itsallgood!

It remains to be seen if the new, uploaded scripts are really attracting the eye of the industry members. My script has lots of impressions but very few downloads. Who knows, maybe my logline needs work. But it's possible most of the impressions are from other writers, and that there aren't many downloads because industry members (the only ones who CAN download) aren't looking.

But I don't regret giving this a try. There are no guarantees regardless of what approach we take. And I get the impression that Franklin is commited to making this work as well as it possibly can.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

I'm new to this board. Thanks to the administrator for granting me access.

I posted a Western titled Pleasant Valley War on Oct 18. Logline: The Tewksbury brothers bring sheep into cattle country. When John is murdered, Ed goes to war. Inspired by true events.

To date I've had three downloads and 12 impressions. I believe one download is from an administrator when I uploaded the script, one is from me checking the script and the third from the paid reviewer.

The script is rated 6 overall. (Premise 7, Plot 5, Characters 6, Dialogue 4). Evidently the reader didn't appreciate the period language I spent a lot of time researching. Although I was hoping for a little higher score, I can't say that the reader is wrong in his evaluation.

His comments:

Era: late 1800's

Locations: Arizona

Budget: Medium

Genre: Western

Genre: 95

Logline:
                        Ed Tewksbury wants to avenge the murder of his brother, bringing about wrath in the Wild West.

Strenghts:
                        The script is full of authentic details which render the story convincing and engaging. It's fun and fresh to read about range war, which is a good topic especially for a western script.

Weaknesses:
                        Historical details bog down the momentum of the story. Dialog is flat overall.

Prospects
                        This could be an interesting western movie if it were to be produced. Nevertheless, it could be better as a documentary than as a feature film. It might be difficult to find a large commercial audience.

That's my experience so far. If any members of the Black List like Westerns, you are invited to take a look. If you feel moved to read it, please leave a rating.

I do like the transparency of the Black List, and I will try again with a script in a more popular genre. This is a much better use of my money than contests, which I am through with.

Comment

I'm a little befuddled by the time it takes for coverage. Earlier in the thread Crashlander stated:

"I paid for a read on 10/17 and got the review on 10/27."

I paid for a read on the 18th, and still haven't received the review. It seems odd that paying for a read one day later would cause a delay of 5 days (and counting) for coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                            I'm a little befuddled by the time it takes for coverage. Earlier in the thread Crashlander stated:

I paid for a read on the 18th, and still haven't received the review. It seems odd that paying for a read one day later would cause a delay of 5 days (and counting) for coverage.
                            I paid for my first read on day one. I received it in about 6 days. Upon receiving the first one I paid for the second (October 21st) and I am still waiting for it.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post

I paid for one on the first day and am still waiting. I e-mailed them and they said that it all depended on the genre.

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
                                I paid for one on the first day and am still waiting. I e-mailed them and they said that it all depended on the genre.
                                What genre?

Comment

Working...
                                X