No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

In theory, what would happen if Curtis (Mr. Candy) took his script down before his review came back, would he retain the credit to apply to another script if he choose to upload it in the future?
    It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Once you pay for a review and assign it to a script, it can't be taken down.

Comment

The script can't be taken down? I find that hard to believe?

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
          The script can't be taken down? I find that hard to believe?
          It can't be taken down while you are waiting for the review. That is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
            What genre?
            Submit a romantic comedy and it could be reviewed in one day! That's what happened with mine. I guess they have reviewers dedicated to certain genres, and some of them aren't getting so much business.

My thriller has been waiting five days so far, which is fine considering the site says 2-3 weeks and I imagine it's a popular genre.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

Imagine it could be frustrating to someone if they wanted to take their script down before the next month's fees kick in for whatever reason.

Comment

Originally posted by goldmund View Post
                Hi Franklin,

are ratings and the number of ratings the sole factor in including an uploaded script in a top list? When I filter for thriller, there are scripts with identical score (and number of ratings) as mine. :-(
                Ratings and the number of ratings are the sole factor in being included in top lists, but it's not as simple as ranking the averages. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, we use Bayesian modifiers to determine our top lists (just like Amazon and Netflix), which means, for example, that all 8.5s (even those with the same # of ratings) are not created equal.

Thank you for raising this point though. I'll be sure to do another review of our algorithm to make sure that nothing's hinky with the coding.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                  What genre?
                  I have a comedy uploaded there.

EDIT: Just got my scores back today, so it took about 3 weeks, which is exactly what they're predicting at this moment.

And I agree, their customer service is excellent. I was never a skeptic of this service and I'll definitely use it for my next script when it's ready.
                  Last edited by CColoredClown; 11-02-2012, 10:14 AM.

Comment

I have a fantasy/comedy uploaded. 8 impressions in about 12 hours (which means absolutely nothing, of course).

Paid for the first review (hell, why not). I'll repost with details of the review, when it emerges.

So far: the customer service has been *exceptional* (ran into a glitch during billing -- Note to Mr. Leonard: do I get a credit for discovering that billing glitch, re: Canada? Kidding!).

As for the experience so far... well, 12 hours. So clearly there's nothing to be expected yet. I find the site clean, easy to navigate and soft on the eyes.

The corollary to the above is -- well, I've paid my money, assigned my review. There just ain't a heck of a lot to do now but hope the review is good, I suppose!

Comment

I sort of already know the answer, but wth, I'll ask anyway.

So I submitted a comedy like two and a half weeks ago and paid for a review. I've had 6 total downloads, including one by me, and one presumably by the reviewer. The review just came today and it was less than what I had hoped for. My question is, do I leave the script up, waiting/hoping one of the other downloaders will review it and possibly give a better score (comedy being far more subjective than other genres)? Or do I pay another $50 and try my luck with another reader? Or do I just take it down?

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask.

Comment

Questions for Franklin (or anyone else who knows the answer):

If I set the "Show to Public" option to "yes" for an individual review, does this mean the entire review (including comments) can be read by anyone? Or does this option just display the overall rating number?

Also, if it shows the entire review, is that just visible to industry members or to everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Margie Kaptanoglu View Post
                          Questions for Franklin (or anyone else who knows the answer):

If I set the "Show to Public" option to "yes" for an individual review, does this mean the entire review (including comments) can be read by anyone? Or does this option just display the overall rating number?

Also, if it shows the entire review, is that just visible to industry members or to everyone?
                          When you make it visible the entire review can be read by everyone. Just go through some of the top ranked uploaded scripts and you will see examples.

Comment

Originally posted by m.j.r. View Post

So I submitted a comedy like two and a half weeks ago and paid for a review. I've had 6 total downloads, including one by me, and one presumably by the reviewer. The review just came today and it was less than what I had hoped for. My question is, do I leave the script up, waiting/hoping one of the other downloaders will review it and possibly give a better score (comedy being far more subjective than other genres)? Or do I pay another $50 and try my luck with another reader? Or do I just take it down?

m.j.r., my suggestion would be to leave the script up for the full month at any rate, as it doesn't do you any harm even if your rating is poor, as long as you hide it.

Also, I don't believe your own downloads are counted anymore, because I downloaded my thriller to check it, and the download count still shows as zero. So it looks like someone else has downloaded yours, and then as you say, why not wait to see if they rate it?

Re spending another $50, only you can judge based on what your current rating is. According to Franklin, a difference of 5 points is unusual (someone had a 3 and an 8). But if you have a five or six, it might be worthwhile to try one more review and see if it's better. That's what I would do, but then, only you know if you have another $50 to spare on something that may or may not help you.

Comment

Thanks, wickedlies!

Comment

Originally posted by m.j.r. View Post

That sounds like a whole lot of hoping, wishing and dreaming. You sound like the stereotypical non-pro aspiring screenwriter that all of these "services" cash in on. Give them another and then maybe another $50, they won't mind.

How about trying to think a little bit more like a pro and honestly ask yourself if the comments and ratings you received are valid? If so, fix your script and then MAYBE try again.

If you are unable to decide for yourself wether the ratings are honest and valid, then you're the perfect person to keep this venture well funded. Spend away, friend.

After the script is written, sometimes it's better to think less like a screenwriter (dreamer) and more like a business person (bottom line number cruncher) able to judge the "value" inherent in multiple $50 blind reads.

Comment

Working...
                                X