No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Originally posted by ChadStrohl View Post
    Any idea how the backlog is coming on reads? I believe today was the two week point since my upload, so I was anxiously curious
    My second read has taken over two and a half weeks. Still waiting

Comment

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

As much as it's nice to get a quick read, I'd rather they did a good job on the reads and not rush it.

I think this is to be expected when a thousand scripts are uploaded. Once it tapers off, reads should come along much quicker, but right now it's probably at that bottleneck stage.

Comment

Originally posted by wickedlies View Post
        Tomorrow will mark three weeks...for my first read...

Comment

Yikes, I'm hoping it's not more than three weeks because if my script gets a bad rating, I'm pulling it down immediately. I can't afford to waste another 25 bucks on a hopeless script.

Also, a question for Franklin: since you said a script requires two ratings to go onto the "top lists," does one (very strong) rating still factor into algorithms and generating views/interest from your industry people on the site?

Comment

Originally posted by wickedlies View Post
            If this is the case, please get in touch with us directly so that we can do something about it quickly.

Our direct contact email addresses can be found here: http://www.blcklst.com/about/

Comment

Originally posted by Mossbraker View Post
              As much as it's nice to get a quick read, I'd rather they did a good job on the reads and not rush it.

I think this is to be expected when a thousand scripts are uploaded. Once it tapers off, reads should come along much quicker, but right now it's probably at that bottleneck stage.
              We are most definitely in the bottleneck stage. As we've said, the timeline on reads will vary based on demand. That said, if scripts are taking more than 3 weeks, please do get in touch directly.

Again, email addresses here: http://www.blcklst.com/about/

Comment

Originally posted by versed View Post
                Yikes, I'm hoping it's not more than three weeks because if my script gets a bad rating, I'm pulling it down immediately. I can't afford to waste another 25 bucks on a hopeless script.

Also, a question for Franklin: since you said a script requires two ratings to go onto the "top lists," does one (very strong) rating still factor into algorithms and generating views/interest from your industry people on the site?
                Yes, any single high rating will result in a script being spotlit to our membership, and the single high rating definitely factors into algorithmic recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
                  If this is the case, please get in touch with us directly so that we can do something about it quickly.

Our direct contact email addresses can be found here: http://www.blcklst.com/about/
                  I emailed but, to be clear, I wasn't complaining. Impatient, sure. Complaining, nope. Thanks Franklin.

Comment

There are more scripts that have identical ratings from 2 or more readers than have a gap of more than 3 between their scores.
                    Franklin, you don't strike me as someone who writes carelessly, so I have to ask: what happens if you change "more than 3" to "3 or more"? It seems like the difference between a 5 and an 8 or a 6 and a 9 is rather large in terms of response.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlas View Post
                      Franklin, you don't strike me as someone who writes carelessly, so I have to ask: what happens if you change "more than 3" to "3 or more"? It seems like the difference between a 5 and an 8 or a 6 and a 9 is rather large in terms of response.
                      I'm not, and it's a fair question. Don't have the numbers handy at the moment, but it's obviously more. We'll be putting out a numbers once we have a full month of data.

The "more than 3" gap was a reference to a previous poster who said that a variation of 3 would be tolerable (I agree).

Comment

Just got blacklistafied. Sooo excited

Comment

The "more than 3" gap was a reference to a previous poster who said that a variation of 3 would be tolerable (I agree).
                          Yeh, 3 is arguably fine, unless...

If one reader gave me a 2 and another gave me a 5, my script's still dead. That is, neither reader liked it; they just disagree on the extent of its not-goodness.

But if one gave me a 5 and the other an 8 (or maybe even a 4 and a 7) - it seems that one is saying this is a bad script and the other is saying it's a good script (in general).

I can't recall from this long thread what happens if you get a 5 and then an 8 - whether the 8 is good enough to get your script promoted, or if the 8 is averaged with the 5, and the resulting 6.5 means your script isn't promoted.

In any event, while the "more than 3" number is interesting, I'd be even more interested to know how many scripts get two substantially different scores - regardless of the numerical difference between then - and one score puts a script in the this is kinda-good/good/great range, while the other puts it in the below that range.

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
                            Yeh, 3 is arguably fine, unless...

If one reader gave me a 2 and another gave me a 5, my script's still dead. That is, neither reader liked it; they just disagree on the extent of its not-goodness.

But if one gave me a 5 and the other an 8 (or maybe even a 4 and a 7) - it seems that one is saying this is a bad script and the other is saying it's a good script (in general).

I can't recall from this long thread what happens if you get a 5 and then an 8 - whether the 8 is good enough to get your script promoted, or if the 8 is averaged with the 5, and the resulting 6.5 means your script isn't promoted.

In any event, while the "more than 3" number is interesting, I'd be even more interested to know how many scripts get two substantially different scores - regardless of the numerical difference between then - and one score puts a script in the this is kinda-good/good/great range, while the other puts it in the below that range.
                            This is another great opportunity for me to clarify what the numbers mean, because there appears to be some confusion.

1-10 refers to the likelihood that a reader would recommend this script to their professional peers or superiors. A 1 is "never under any circumstances." A 10 is "Not only would I fired for not passing this along, I would be limiting my professional success by not sharing it with everyone I can think of so that I can claim their respect and admiration by being the one who introduced them to it."

As for whether a script is spotlighted if it has one high and one low rating, it will. Any single high rating from a reader triggers inclusion in our weekly email indicating that a reader rated a script highly (ditto our more frequent emails to individual members based on their specified preferences). Though your average may be lower, you are free to keep that private.

Comment

Hi Franklin. I signed up yesterday and paid for a read. My script is a supernatural thriller but I didn't see that as a choice so I had to choose horror and thriller as my genre.

Any chance you could add supernatural thriller as a genre choice? I know several scripts would fall perfectly into that category.

Thanks...
                              "We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.-- The Late Great Bill Hicks...

Comment

1-10 refers to the likelihood that a reader would recommend this script to their professional peers or superiors. A 1 is "never under any circumstances." A 10 is "Not only would I fired for not passing this along, I would be limiting my professional success by not sharing it with everyone I can think of so that I can claim their respect and admiration by being the one who introduced them to it."
                                Have the non-BL industry members been told this? When using a 1-10 scale it seems easy to fall into a simple IMDb-style quality rating.

Do you think using the ten-point scale has advantages over a five-point scale that maps directly to a reader scoring system like hard pass|soft pass|maybe|recommend with reservations|recommend? That is, is there any benefit to the additional granularity?

I'm excited about BL3 and I'm looking forward to seeing the new numbers. You've said you're a "numbers nerd" and spoken of average deviations -- will you also be providing distributions or modes?
                                Last edited by Atlas; 11-08-2012, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X