No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Originally posted by wickedlies View Post
    My script received it's second review tonight and it has now hit the front page of BL3.0 as one of the top uploaded scripts.

If you are curious to read the latest review (**SPOILER ALERT** It scored a 9) then go here https://blcklst.com/members/script/3869

THE MASCOT is a broad, silly, comedy taking place in the world of sports mascots. It's better than you think. Honestly.

This is not because I am thrilled with the latest review but I want to say that BL3.0 has proven to be everything Franklin says and only looks like it will get better. Franklin has been patient, kind and very straight forward in answering every question posed. I am optimistic that we have a new way into Hollywood.

If anyone reads THE MASCOT let me know what you think.

If you are still on the fence about the service and want to throw me a question about my experience and conclusions, I am on Twitter @TheUrbanHobo as well.
    CONGRATS good to know silly is appreciated!

Comment

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

I wanted to follow up on this post and say something about the blacklist website.

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
      I was going to start another thread on this but figured might as well post it here.

While I am not going to say the rating system is perfect, I think more than anything, you are finding out that most of the scripts that the tens of thousands of aspiring writes out there send out thinking are ready for Hollywood are just not good.

I will repeat that, are just not good.

This service is comparing you to established pro writers. You are not in an amateur competition, winning the best of the rookies, but are going up against the pros.

For most of you, this is shedding light on how far away you are from being ready for Hollywood and how your work stands up against the pros.

Again, everything is subjective, but I think you'll find when compared to those playing in the big leagues, the numbers are probably somewhat in line. These, as Franklin said, are professional readers.

BUT, all of that can change with your next script. Every pro writer has that moment when it all comes together and they write that script that is THE ONE. While many amateurs will never have that moment (just being realistic), all you can do is keep writing.

Hope this sheds some realistic light on to all of the ratings. I'm one of a thousand executives on the site that looks over the amateur script ratings WANTING to find something. No other site can say that.

Best,

MB
      So far, the new system has been great. The weekly email list of the top rated scripts are read by people all over town. Every major management company and agency are reading those scripts. People are finding reps and getting their foot through the door of Hollywood.

Like I had said, people WANT to find new talent, and the site has been great in helping find that new talent so far.

Best,

Michael
      twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

That's fantastic, Michael, but do you rate the scripts you've read there?

Comment

Franklin:

Two questions for you

1) Do writers on the Black List know of their inclusion prior to the list going wide?

2) Can you tell us when the list will be made public?

Gracias.

TP

Comment

Originally posted by wickedlies View Post
            My script received it's second review tonight and it has now hit the front page of BL3.0 as one of the top uploaded scripts.

If you are curious to read the latest review (**SPOILER ALERT** It scored a 9) then go here https://blcklst.com/members/script/3869

THE MASCOT is a broad, silly, comedy taking place in the world of sports mascots. It's better than you think. Honestly.

This is not because I am thrilled with the latest review but I want to say that BL3.0 has proven to be everything Franklin says and only looks like it will get better. Franklin has been patient, kind and very straight forward in answering every question posed. I am optimistic that we have a new way into Hollywood.

If anyone reads THE MASCOT let me know what you think.

If you are still on the fence about the service and want to throw me a question about my experience and conclusions, I am on Twitter @TheUrbanHobo as well.
            Congrats wickedlies! I hope this gets the script in the right hands :>)

Comment

Originally posted by TravisPickle View Post
              Franklin:

Two questions for you

1) Do writers on the Black List know of their inclusion prior to the list going wide?

2) Can you tell us when the list will be made public?

Gracias.

TP
              1) They do not.
              2) I never say, but it's probably not too hard to figure out.

Comment

Franklin, since it's been up for a couple of weeks, can you break down the percentage of writers who just host their scripts and buy no coverage, those that buy one coverage, those that buy two or three?
                http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Here's my first read and I feel it was worth the investment. The comments are thoughtful and fair, and I received 5 downloads so far. All contests are a crapshoot, but with the type of people who have access to the download function on the Black List, the odds of getting some heat on a script seem much better on BL than placing in most contests. (Nicholl excepted. Placing as a QF there garnered a dozen read requests or so, although I expect they were also of the blanket variety- Nicholl doesn't publish the logline for the QF scripts. On BL, the reader knows what script they're getting from the start.)

PREMISE 6/10
                  PLOT 6/10
                  CHARACTERS 5/10
                  DIALOGUE 5/10
                  OVERALL 6/10

Era: 1970's-Present

Locations: Mansion, Wrestling Ring, Boardroom

Budget: High

Genre: Sport

Genre: 116

Logline:
                  Traces the rise of WWF titan Vince McMahon and his wife, Linda, as they revolutionize and globalize the world of wrestling.

Strengths:
                  This is a true rags to riches tale that charts Vince McMahon's rise from a young man to an egotistical entrepreneur. The story is fascinating, enhanced along the way by a cast of colorful characters. The excitement of his rise, however, is tempered by the tension with his wife, which adds more depth to the story.

Weaknesses:
                  The biggest issue with the script is that much of the story is told in voiceover, which distances the audience from the direct storyline. Vince's ultimate downfall doesn't occur until the final 30 pages of the script, throwing the pacing off and disregarding an essential midpoint crisis.

Prospects
                  The premise is an interesting one, and there are ample characters to cast. For a producer, the biggest challenges are tackling the extensive cameo roles, as well as marketing the story effectively in order to capture audiences outside of the wrestling world.

Comment

Is the backlog of pending paid reviews getting smaller or is it getting larger?

Comment

Originally posted by kenklmn View Post
                      Just send them an email if you already have waited 2 weeks...they have amazing customer service, and will nudge their readers to be prompt.

Comment

Originally posted by zephyr View Post
                        Just send them an email if you already have waited 2 weeks...they have amazing customer service, and will nudge their readers to be prompt.
                        I disagree. Leonard skipped my question in this thread, plus 2 PMs, and BL customer services have ignored 2 emails from 2 separate email addresses.
                        M.A.G.A.

Comment

Wickedlies -

Congrats on the score of 9. It sounds like a fun script. Best of luck!
                          "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                            I disagree. Leonard skipped my question in this thread, plus 2 PMs, and BL customer services have ignored 2 emails from 2 separate email addresses.
                            I don't read PMs at Done Deal, and it's highly unlikely that we have ignored any customer service emails. Please forward us your email to the contact email addresses located on our About page and I can assure you it will be addressed immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
                              Franklin, since it's been up for a couple of weeks, can you break down the percentage of writers who just host their scripts and buy no coverage, those that buy one coverage, those that buy two or three?
                              Will be doing this in the next week and a half. We hit the one month mark on 11/15 which is a nice round number to base numbers around.

Comment

Originally posted by kenklmn View Post
                                It's a bit smaller than when we first started, for obvious, reasons but the number of scripts uploaded on a daily basis has stayed steady and there is certainly still a backlog of several hundred reads. We still estimate a read time of between 2-3 weeks at the most.

Comment

Working...
                                X