X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Q for Franklin Leonard

Originally posted by Atlas View Post
    I don't deny both of those things are true. I think it's also possible, however, that people failed to break into the business 20 years ago despite having written a great script because they didn't get that single read. I would imagine that typing -- on a typewriter; this is 1992 we're talking about -- and mailing 90 or 95 query letters without a peep in reply would be somewhat discouraging...
    There were people using computers even back in 1992, and there were even a few scriptwriting programs back in dos days.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwriter View Post
      There were people using computers even back in 1992, and there were even a few scriptwriting programs back in dos days.
      Of course there were. The assumption was that we were talking about young, struggling writers who were unlikely to be able to afford a computer.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
        There are two ways to really make a splash with a screenplay: Give Hollywood what it wants or give Hollywood what it doesn't realize it wants until it reads your script.

The first means deliver a take on the familiar so well executed it feels new and exciting. The latter means delivering something so good that it doesn't matter whether it's familiar at all.
        I like this quote. New quote to post in my writing area. One of my goals as a writer, is to become such a good writer that I can write something that might not be everyone's "cup o tea" before they read it, but would convert many to my brand of tea as they read it. Nicely put, Mr. Leonard.

Comment

(For the record, I'm just trying to explain what I see as the reason you keep seeing posts like SundownInRetreat's. I've never been worried about breaking in.)
          You're not seeing questions like mine - which is why I posted it. If you think you have then you misread me and I can't explain any better than I already have.
          M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
            You're not seeing questions like mine - which is why I posted it. If you think you have then you misread me and I can't explain any better than I already have.
            You were essentially asking about the limitations of loglines:

But would you be compelled to read a script about a masked killer in the woods stalking a bunch of teenagers? I would guess not. And you'd never know how good the writing was or how the writer put his stamp on the trope.
            The information -- masked killer in the woods + teenagers -- would be expressed via logline, i.e.:

But would you be compelled to read a script with the logline: "A masked killer stalks a group of teenagers in the woods"? I would guess not. And you'd never know how good the writing was or how the writer put his stamp on the trope.
            I have read this entire thread, and there has been plenty of discussion about loglines in this context. So much, in fact, that I got sick of it -- hence the attempt at explanation.
            Last edited by Atlas; 11-12-2012, 11:33 AM.

Comment

You were essentially asking about the limitations of loglines:
              No. That was a related issue. Never mind, no big deal.
              M.A.G.A.

Comment

No. That was a related issue. Never mind, no big deal.
                Sorry if I got it wrong. Just trying to help.

Comment

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Is "True Crime" one of the listed genres to choose from?
                  "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Originally posted by wickedlies View Post
                    I thought exactly like you. My statement about buying two up front was simply related to the wait time. Having a single read that is good, has done nothing to my script's exposure. Now, granted it is currently one rating at a 7 score and perhaps if it were an 8 or 9 it would have been given more exposure. But if the next read comes back as a 7 or above, I am pretty certain that will kick it into being given some additional exposure on the BL site.

I am simply impatient. Waiting almost three weeks for the second rating just seems like I wasted time having it sit there with no way to be found.
                    Hi wickedlies,

I'm following in your footsteps a bit here. I just got my first paid read, a 7 with some pretty positive comments (e.g., "definitely a solid comedy script"). I learned from you and paid for a second read the day after I paid for the first, so I'm hoping there won't be too much of a wait for the next one. The first read took only 4 days so I have no complaints there.

I'm curious -- did you keep your first 7-level read private? I'm thinking to do that with mine in case I prove to be as successful with my second read as you were. (And congrats for that -- You must be pumped!)

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
                      Is "True Crime" one of the listed genres to choose from?
                      It is not currently, no.

Comment

Originally posted by Concord View Post
                        Hi wickedlies,

I'm following in your footsteps a bit here. I just got my first paid read, a 7 with some pretty positive comments (e.g., "definitely a solid comedy script"). I learned from you and paid for a second read the day after I paid for the first, so I'm hoping there won't be too much of a wait for the next one. The first read took only 4 days so I have no complaints there.

I'm curious -- did you keep your first 7-level read private? I'm thinking to do that with mine in case I prove to be as successful with my second read as you were. (And congrats for that -- You must be pumped!)
                        At first I kept the review private because I felt I could do better. However, the comments on the 7 review were pretty awesome so I decided to open it up to public consumption. Ultimately, it didn't matter because my script was getting no traffic because it was not yet in the BL3.0 promotion machine.

Having opted for a second read and getting a much higher score from it, I now have seen a tremendous growth in the exposure the script is having. I am not certain if it is being read but I know people are aware of it. Also, once the weekly email goes out (not sure when that happens) it should be included as one of the week's hot scripts and that should increase traffic.

I think we need to look at BL3.0 as a great resource for getting read and also a barometer for whether you are in the game or not. According to an earlier post from Franklin, the average score for an uploaded script is less than 5, which means if you scored a 7 you are at least in the game and that should be encouraging.

Once you get your second read back, you will know what to do. If it is 7 or higher then you are in good shape. For now, why not show your review?

Comment

Bringing up what wickedlies mentioned, is the average for uploaded scripts still less than 5 or will that number be announced after the 15th?

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
                            Bringing up what wickedlies mentioned, is the average for uploaded scripts still less than 5 or will that number be announced after the 15th?
                            Average is up over the last several days. Currently, 5.08.

Comment

Originally posted by wickedlies View Post
                              At first I kept the review private because I felt I could do better. However, the comments on the 7 review were pretty awesome so I decided to open it up to public consumption. Ultimately, it didn't matter because my script was getting no traffic because it was not yet in the BL3.0 promotion machine.

Having opted for a second read and getting a much higher score from it, I now have seen a tremendous growth in the exposure the script is having. I am not certain if it is being read but I know people are aware of it. Also, once the weekly email goes out (not sure when that happens) it should be included as one of the week's hot scripts and that should increase traffic.

I think we need to look at BL3.0 as a great resource for getting read and also a barometer for whether you are in the game or not. According to an earlier post from Franklin, the average score for an uploaded script is less than 5, which means if you scored a 7 you are at least in the game and that should be encouraging.

Once you get your second read back, you will know what to do. If it is 7 or higher then you are in good shape. For now, why not show your review?
                              I actually went through that thought process shortly after I posted my question to you and decided to make the rating and the review public. I wish it were higher than 7 but, as you say, it is in the game. Further, the comments were quite positive and the weaknesses the reader cited were all about a little postscript gag I pasted onto the end of the script, which would be a minuscule edit.

The review is here if you're curious: https://www.blcklst.com/members/script/4870

My main takeaway, I think, is that someone with no connection to me (and a professional, to boot) thinks the script is worthy of consideration by Hollywood.

As an outsider, I'm quite happy to get the validation. And I'll be happier still if the second reader matches or exceeds the first rating and I can join you on the BL3.0 promotion machine ;-)
                              Last edited by Concord; 11-13-2012, 06:30 AM. Reason: clarify a vague sentence

Comment

Originally posted by Concord View Post
                                I actually went through that thought process shortly after I posted my question to you and decided to make the rating and the review public. I wish it were higher than 7 but, as you say, it is in the game. Further, the comments were quite positive and the weaknesses the reader cited were all about a little postscript gag I pasted onto the end of the script, which would be a minuscule edit.

The review is here if you're curious: https://www.blcklst.com/members/script/4870

My main takeaway, I think, is that someone besides me thinks the script is worthy of consideration by Hollywood. As an outsider, I'm quite happy to get the validation. I'll be happier still if the second reader matches or exceeds the first rating and I can join you on the BL3.0 promotion machine ;-)
                                Good luck with the second read! Keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
                                X