No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Originally posted by Travis Fields View Post
    I've been cautious to a fault with my scripts -- but that's my choice.

If I send out a script, I want to know who's got it and who's reading it.
    You're right, that is a fault. You should get over that.

Comment

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Originally posted by cshel View Post
      Franklin said that the repped writers get to sign-up for free, on the professional side, and can therefore read the scripts of unrepped writers.
      For this reason alone, I may not upload my script. Repped writers won't steal your story -- they'll get sued, but they MIGHT steal your set pieces, scenes, characters, plot points, etc. (OK, they'll tweak 'em a bit). Besides...

a) Why would a repped writer be downloading highly-rated amateur scripts? If he/she likes it, will they pass it on to his/her agent?

b) Why would I want a competing screenwriter to view, copy, and possibly distribute my script to God knows who? Do we really need another 50 Carson Eads' out there derailing our dreams?
      I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
        For this reason alone, I may not upload my script. Repped writers won't steal your story -- they'll get sued, but they MIGHT steal your set pieces, scenes, characters, plot points, etc. (OK, they'll tweak 'em a bit).
        This isn't going to happen. But I do agree, no reason for writers (repped or not) to be able to download another writer's script.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Striver View Post
          You're right, that is a fault. You should get over that.
          No. Good to keep track of who's reading your script. In this thread and the other, people have voiced concern over who exactly ia reading their material. if you're dropping 75 bucks or more, you have the right to know whether it's actual industry pros or other writers who still don't earn a living off their writing.

Not to mention the pure dumb logic of keeping track of your material. ALWAYS have a paper trail. Duh.

Comment

Mine went up 3 days ago and I got 8 impressions within the first hour, which was probably due to the fact it was listed on the front page. No downloads. That number hasn't changed 3 days later, which isn't filling me with confidence.

Comment

I've been cautious to a fault with my scripts -- but that's my choice.

If I send out a script, I want to know who's got it and who's reading it.
              My first option came as a result of someone getting a copy of my script without my knowledge. You should consider being less precious with your material, as lots of people catch breaks in the same manner.

As far as this whole issue with repped writers being able to read your script...

First, not every writer with a rep is going to have access. You have to apply to get in, and I would be amazed if no-name writers with no-name reps are accepted.

As far as theft of your ideas goes, the paranoia is pretty unfounded. Writers who've made it to the point where they're repped take their careers seriously and work hard to establish a good reputation and brand. Accusations of plagiarism would jeopardize that big time.
              QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
                But I do agree, no reason for writers (repped or not) to be able to download another writer's script.
                I, for a change, disagree with you (and everyone else sharing the sentiment) on this.

Far be it from me to defend the Black List folks on this (I have a few concerns of my own about this new venture), however, there are a number of reasons a professional writer might consider joining/reading amateur scripts:

(And, just as an aside, I haven't joined. Though I've considered it.)

1) Many professional writers (especially with the way the business is now) are (or are considering becoming) hyphenates: writer-producer/writer-director. There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, some of my best writing experiences have come with working with a more experienced writer. This seems an interesting potential avenue in which to find fresh material.

2) The pay-it-forward philosophy. Many professional writers know how lucky they are and would jump at the chance to pay it forward to talented up-and-comers. Many do that already -- be it through friend-of-a-friend referrals or the page reviews on DD -- however, it's time-consuming and can be more hassle than it's worth. Having an outlet readily available when you've some genuine free time (or are just feeling particularly altruistic) isn't a bad thing for anyone concerned.
                twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

As for my own personal concerns about the new Black List:

1) 99% of its revenue will come directly from people it can't help. Writing is hard, and for most people, no amount of promotion will be enough. While I appreciate Franklin's earnest hopes that the reviews will filter out most of the weaker material, as suggested elsewhere in this thread, I think it very likely that it will prove to be a "gym membership" scenario (where people cancel their subscription months later than intended).

2) Starting the monthly upload subscription fee before the material has been reviewed is a HUGE oversight. It's too early to tell, beyond best guesses, how long this turnaround time will generally be, but that's wasted money on the writer's part and might well dampen the fanfare a good script would recieve (e.g. were it posted on the "New Uploads" frontpage with its high rating already there). It's a simple fix: two options (upload with no review $25pm; review with optional upload $50) giving the writer more freedom (and more information) to decide on whether to upload, and (almost certainly) strengthening the database (by discouraging material that isn't ready). That said, obviously, the subscription is where most of the profit is, so it would mean less revenue. It all depends where the priorities truly lie.
                  twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

Number two may likely keep my toes out of the pool.

Many repped writers are aspiring directors and producers. They have the set of industry contacts that we unrepped folks dream of when we dream. That said, time and time again pro writers have championed amateur material. I think their attendance on the Black List site can only help.
                    He who laughs last is mentally slow

Comment

Hey, if the BL people want $75 as ante for 1st month posting plus a read, fine. The American Way.

But, they could do this: If I want to post my script and get a read, I'd pay my $75. But if I want - I can have my script held back - that is, not posted - until I get the read back, to see what happened. And then I could click (or not click) some setting to say, "Make Available" or something.

So let's say I don't like the results of my score from the reader, I might decide not to post it at all. And my $75? That's the price of doing business. I spent it, it's gone. So it goes.

As I understand things now, if I pay $25 + $50, my script goes up for people to see, while I wait... for the read-result to come back. I realize if it's bad, I don't have to let anyone see the read-result.

But what if the read-result is not just bad, it's accurate! Then my script has been available and seen (OK, yeh - just hypothetically) in its bad state of being. Why would I want that? (Yes, it's only one reader, and maybe he/she is wrong, and maybe I want my script posted all that time, anyway. But maybe I don't, so I'd like to have the option.)

Or maybe while I'm waiting for the read-result, a few readers read my script and they give it bad scores. And then the read-result comes back with its bad score. Now, even if I rewrite it and that makes it good (also, hypothetical), and then repost it... As a practical matter I'd have to give it a new name so people won't see the rewritten version and figure... etc.

Even if the BL people think my idea is brilliant (again, hypothetical), I assume their software is already set and this would take some sort of rewrite... and who wants to do that? In any event, it'd be nice if they could do it this way. They still would get their $75 on day one - even while giving their paying customers a little more control over when/how their scripts are made available at the BL website.

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
                        My first option came as a result of someone getting a copy of my script without my knowledge. You should consider being less precious with your material, as lots of people catch breaks in the same manner.

As far as this whole issue with repped writers being able to read your script...

First, not every writer with a rep is going to have access. You have to apply to get in, and I would be amazed if no-name writers with no-name reps are accepted.

As far as theft of your ideas goes, the paranoia is pretty unfounded. Writers who've made it to the point where they're repped take their careers seriously and work hard to establish a good reputation and brand. Accusations of plagiarism would jeopardize that big time.
                        Yes, I'm aware that people have caught breaks in that fashion.

But. The husband of one of my friends used to work for a pretty well-known cartoon. Not long after he left, they aired a couple of episodes based on scripts he'd submitted to them while he was working there. He complained, and their response was: "Well, if you ever want to work again...".

He's a reasonable, sane guy -- nice to a fault, even. He's never sued anybody.
                        I still keep in touch with his wife a little bit: she's a working actress in New York now.

I used to work for an A list screenwriter.

There was a time -- after he hit it -- that he got less cautious with his scripts.
                        He then found that a couple of them had gotten "picked clean" (his words).
                        So he stopped doing that, and, guess what, it stopped happening.

Other A-list writers have made it clear that they don't like to leave anything behind when they go do a pitch. Gee, I wonder why that is? So don't say theft doesn't happen. You know it happens.

Now. Are you better off being overly cautious, or overly reckless?
                        I would have say the latter. Especially if you've yet to break in.

But in this case, if you don't know who your scripts are going to, and can't find out, it seems to me that the paranoia, if any, is more likely on the side of The Black List.

Maybe they're paranoid they're going to be sued. According to their legalize, they can't be sued, but I doubt that would hold much water if someone actually was ripped off.

Maybe their Industry Pros want the anonymity because they're paranoid of getting harassed with a thousand phone calls of "Did you read it yet? Did you read it yet?".

Maybe no one should be paranoid. Maybe that would fix everything.

PS: You can sign up and download their legalize without actually paying to register a script.

Comment

Yesterday my script had 4 downloads and 1 rating. Today it has 4 downloads and 0 ratings. ???? WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by wickedlies View Post
                            Yesterday my script had 4 downloads and 1 rating. Today it has 4 downloads and 0 ratings. ???? WTF?
                            Huh. Well, did you at least get a chance to see/read the rating while it was there?

Comment

Huh. Well, did you at least get a chance to see/read the rating while it was there?
                              There is nothing to read. You have four boxes IMPRESSIONS - DOWNLOADS - RATINGS - AVG RATING

I am not confident in the data now. A rating is there then disappears? Seems weird.

Comment

Maybe the rater unsubscribed? Did you feel the rating was fair?
                                It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Working...
                                X