What's a realistic batting average on queries?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a realistic batting average on queries?

So, I'm in a bit of a strange situation where I have a script (one hour TV pilot) that I feel pretty good about, but I can't get anybody to read it. I'm not saying this script is the next Emmy winner or that I expect Mickey Mouse to bust down my door and shove a million dollars in my pocket, but I've been floating the script around to various outlets for feedback and I've gotten enough positive signals to believe it's worth peddling, even if only as a writing sample. Yet when I send out queries I'm met with absolute radio silence.

Obviously results are going to vary depending on you, your specific pitch, and random dumb luck, but what's a realistic batting average for garnering read requests from managers/lit agents? Should I be reaching out to production companies?

I've been writing for a long time, but I've been focused more on improving my craft than pushing stuff on people, so this is new territory for me.

Re: What's a realistic batting average on queries?

8 Hit Movies That Were Originally Rejected by Studios

5 Brilliant Screenplays That Were Rejected … Repeatedly

5 Famous Screenplays That Hollywood Rejected

George Lucas Recounts How Studios Turned Down ‘Star Wars’ In Classic Interview

As referenced in the above links, persistence pays off in the long run. The only thing about a “long run” is that you just don’t know how long is “the long run.”

If you believe in your script, then you’ll just have to keep going with queries, marketing, and promotion of it until someone says “Yes” to reading it.

In the meanwhile, keep writing to have more than a handful of scripts at the ready when the door opens. Nine times out of ten, if someone wants to read one of your scripts, they’ll want to read a few more of your scripts, too, for various reasons.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Personally I would never query an agent or a manager with a screenplay that has no recommendation from someone he knows (eg an assistant), has not been covered positively or has not had any success in a major screenplay competition.

Sure, you might get lucky and find one agent who reads absolutely everything. But the truth is most of them want to hop onto something that has at least a modicum of quality and the easiest way for them to know that is if somebody else has given it a thumbs up.

As much as we rag on agents I have to agree with their filtering process. They have to read their clients work, read work by other people associated with their clients, coverage on novels, coverage on scripts, and a mountain of emails about projects. It is fairly delusional to expect a serious agent to sit down over a weekend and read a random screenplay coming from absolutely nowhere.

Honestly my advice is to get your screenplay into a dozen competitions that mean something. If it is as good as you say it will place and maybe even win.

this will do two things:

1) get agents to contact you (By far the best way to get representation)
      2) give you something to actually write about in the query letter that will hopefully get them interested enough to read.

Those are my two cents. Give em something all those other querying writers don’t have: accolades.

Comment

Frustrating, yeah?

I haven't plugged anything for quite a while, but unscientifically speaking I am going to say my request rate hovers around less than 5%. Others' mileage may vary.

That doesn't include a small number of contacts I've maintained from previous submissions that are sometimes willing to give me another shot.

Comment

Originally posted by TravisPickle View Post
          It is fairly delusional to expect a serious agent to sit down over a weekend and read a random screenplay coming from absolutely nowhere.

I get that time is currency and that they don't have enough of it to sit down and filter through every single thing that comes across their desk.

On the other hand, "delusional" seems like a stretch since lit managers and agents need writers to make money. They have a vested interest in finding talent. Every query that comes through their inbox is a potential lottery ticket. I guess the problem is that there's so much crap clogging the drains that they automatically assume most of what people push on them is also crap, which is probably a safe assumption more often than not.

Contests are a good route, but contests take time. Most of the big TV contests aren't going to be naming finalists/etc until summer, which is a long time to sit around and twiddle your thumbs if you have some stuff that you already feel good about.

Ultimately, it's probably just a numbers game, provided that your material is good. Take enough shots until something goes in. I'm just trying to get a general sense of what the hit rate has been like for other people in terms of getting reads off cold queries.

Comment

Granted, I've only queried 4-5 scripts, but each time I've usually managed to gather around 120-150 'appropriate contacts' (i.e. work with writers in similar genres, produced films with a similar vibe, etc...) from a combination of DDP, IMDB Pro trials and pot-luck Google searches.

I'd say my read request average is around 2-2.5% (2-3 replies). If someone has read a previous script, I feel it's appropriate to add them to my list for next time (most of my stuff has a sci-fi lean, so figure if they request to read one, they may be interested in others).

I've also had very mild 'success' connecting with a couple of assistants via LinkedIn in the past. I sent a few more connection requests recently, but decided to knock this on the head for now, as part of me felt it was a bit spammy (trying to connect under the guise of pitching a script).

Feels like I'm in a similar position to you. I have a pilot ready to go. Just weighing up whether to blitz a few contests (now seems a good time for TV contests) or maybe pay for a couple of reviews on the Blacklist. Either way, I've already started on the next one (probably the best advice anyone can give you). But there's a definite balancing act between appropriately marketing your current script and putting energies into a new one.

Best of luck with your script.
            Last edited by pabloamigo; 02-20-2019, 03:17 AM.

Comment

With my first script, I sent out queries to 250 mangers and 150 agents. From those I got 12 read requests. From those 12 requests came 4 offers to meet, and from those 4 meetings came 2 offers of representation.

So... 2 offers from 400 queries sent.
              Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

The round of queries that got me repped was five requests out of fifty emails sent. Five offers for a meeting off the read. Previous rounds somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-4 out of 100 requests. Most of my stuff was certainly not commercial (mostly period) so I'd be curious what hit rates are for someone with a high concept contained horror logline.

Comment

Agents and managers generally have different batting averages due to different "wants."

Typically agents want something "sale-ready," whereas managers will get in the trenches on development for a few passes. As a result, often the manager hit-ratio for a query will be higher.

I hope that helps. Good luck.
                  https://actbreakdown.com

Comment

so, in my experience it's about 10 - 15%. i send a lot at one time.

if they're not responding, it's because there's something wrong with your logline. if you're sending more than your logline, something is wrong with your query letter.

my guess it the logline isn't compelling enough. of course, i do not know for certain.

when i query, i include the title, genre, logline. that's it. if it has a competition placement include it.

i let them know that if they are interested in reading i'll happily send them a pdf at their convenience. i thank them for their time and consideration. i log it down and forget about it.

if i have high black list ratings i include that in the subject which is usually New Spec Available with the title.

i have never had an agent respond. only managers or manager/producers.

everyone wants to sell something. if you have something they think they can sell, they'll contact you.
                    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I've never had any luck getting a rep through a query letter. I've gotten plenty of reads, but a grand total of one meeting out of a few thousand over the years (that meeting led to an offer of representation, and boy am I glad I declined). Now you can say that's the script's fault, but those same scripts landed me representation via referral. So I'll hazard a guess and say that's not the case. But don't ask me what the difference is. I have no clue.

This is all a roundabout way of saying referrals are the best way to go about this. Some people are successful with query letters and go on to have a career. But seems like most people go the referral route, or they win a major contest, or they get into one of the writing programs. If your avatar is correct and you're in Portland, those last two are your best options. However, if you're in a position in life to move to LA, that might be an option worth considering as well.

But don't let that stop you from trying. If you have a killer logline and you know your script is great, go for it. Just don't expect much from it.

Comment

If you have a good script - say it got a couple of 8s on the Blacklist - I do think there is a benefit to finding a manager who does consulting on Stage 32 or Roadmap Writers. I know there has been talk on here in the past about established managers charging for reads and the red flags that raises. However, there are good, reputable, up and coming young managers you can get to read on pay sites. It may be cost prohibitive for you. I get that. But if you really want to know if you are close, research their background and drop the $150 one time.

I know some folks say never pay to get read. I understand that point of view. But if you have some disposable income, I think it's a viable route. While it may be just one manager's subjective opinion, I think there is value there, even if you have to read between the lines.

Comment

Did the LA thing for a few years. Even had a lot badge for quite a while. I'd be willing to relocate there if the prospect of work became realistic, but I'd prefer to stay put until I at least have a rep in place, as I find the quality of life better elsewhere. Might be a bit of a catch-22, but from what I've heard, reps don't need you to be in LA until you're actually working/taking meetings. I'm able to go down there at the drop of a hat, so I don't imagine it being a huge hurdle apart from the reduced access/networking that you miss out on by not being there physically.

I'm 0-for-17 on the queries so far, which is fine. I've aimed pretty high and wasn't expecting an overwhelming response. Moreover, my pilot is a relatively "low concept" period piece and while I actually think the setting would be fantastic for a TV show, it's not the sort of thing that's likely to leap off the page and grab people right away. I'm just dipping my toes in the water and testing the temperature, and I don't want to come across as the typical delusional "Why aren't they acknowledging my genius?!" type of guy just because my first salvo of queries came up airballs.

With that disclaimer out of the way, I do think there's an interesting dynamic where reps need writers to make money, but...reps seemingly don't want to read new writers unless that person already comes with a stamp of approval via contest or referral. I'm not going to call it an inefficiency in the system because in all likelihood their behavior is correct. In other words, they probably get so much useless **** sent to them constantly that attempting to find the needle in a haystack is like panning for gold in a porto-potty. It's simply not worth the time and effort when both of those resources are finite.

In a perfect world, it would be nice if the big management houses could read every single thing that crosses their desk, but we know that's not realistic due to time and budget constraints. Fair enough. No salt here. I'll keep poking around while working on my next thing, and I've sent this same pilot off to every reputable contest under the sun, so I'll keep trying every door until one of them opens.

Comment

Pilot's from unknown writers are going to seldom be requested. Just a fact. Most of the pilots I've had read was once I had connections with prod co's etc... They already knew my writing so they gave me a shot. Getting a pilot into the hands of someone who could be a showrunner via previous reads is likely the only way you are going to get much traction with this.

Someone mentioned contests, but there is nothing legit out there for pilots to get noticed, that you can count on at least.

Write more, get connections, rinse and repeat. When you start getting fans among the managers and prod co's eventually someone will refer you to an agent.
                            Eric
                            www.scriptreadguaranteed.com

Comment

Originally posted by harbak View Post
                              Pilot's from unknown writers are going to seldom be requested. Just a fact. Most of the pilots I've had read was once I had connections with prod co's etc... They already knew my writing so they gave me a shot. Getting a pilot into the hands of someone who could be a showrunner via previous reads is likely the only way you are going to get much traction with this.

Someone mentioned contests, but there is nothing legit out there for pilots to get noticed, that you can count on at least.

Write more, get connections, rinse and repeat. When you start getting fans among the managers and prod co's eventually someone will refer you to an agent.
                              There's truth to that first part. I had a hell of a time querying because I was trying to pitch various pilots. Granted, I landed my current manager with a pilot, but I think it's a lot easier to get traction if you're writing features. A manager can go out with a feature with the intent to sell, and they don't have to worry about getting a showrunner attached. And you can always start developing TV ideas after getting traction in the feature world. There's a ton of crossover right now. Writers should definitely be doing both. But starting things off with a feature is the better route to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X