Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 04:54 AM   #11
Dr. Vergerus

Default Re: Fade In Pro -- tips, feedback, requested features

Any Courier font will do (12 point, 10 characters per inch) so just use the one that you think looks the best on the screen, pdf or print.

As for the default configuration and template, most of it can stay as it is. What I would recommend you change is turning off scene continues as this only makes sense in production drafts.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #12
ComicBent

Troy wrote:
Quote:
In addition, the default font is Courier Screenplay, but I have just plain old Courier on my computer. Is this also the case where I should stick with the default option, or should I change to plain old Courier?
Troy, if you are using the Windows operating system, you almost certainly have Courier New, not plain old Courier.

Use Courier Screenplay. It is a really nice medium-dark Courier font. Courier New is not the best choice for a screenplay when you have something else available.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #13
Troy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBent View Post
Troy wrote:Troy, if you are using the Windows operating system, you almost certainly have Courier New, not plain old Courier.

Use Courier Screenplay. It is a really nice medium-dark Courier font. Courier New is not the best choice for a screenplay when you have something else available.
Hello. I have Courier, Courier New, Courier Screenplay and Courier Std on my computer. Obviously, it's a minor point, as it's easy to use the default Courier Screenplay too. Is it one of those things that it really doesn't matter? Just over thinking this I guess.
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #14
ComicBent

It does not matter which one you use, as long as it looks all right on screen and on the printed page. Courier New generally looks good on screen but is a little anemic in print.

Also make sure that the line spacing is approximately standard. The line spacing may vary a lot from one font to another. The standard for scripts is six lines per inch (it does not have to be exact, but the page count can vary by several pages in a full-length script if you do not follow this standard).

The key is to know how to count the lines correctly. You have to measure from the baseline of Line 1 to the baseline of Line 7. Yes, 7.

This is my line number 1
This is my line number
This is my line number
This is my line number
This is my line number
This is my line number
This is my line number 7

Measure from the bottom of the 'm' in 'my' (not the bottom of the 'y'). The distance should be very, very close to 1".

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #15
Troy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBent View Post
It does not matter which one you use, as long as it looks all right on screen and on the printed page. Courier New generally looks good on screen but is a little anemic in print.

Also make sure that the line spacing is approximately standard. The line spacing may vary a lot from one font to another. The standard for scripts is six lines per inch (it does not have to be exact, but the page count can vary by several pages in a full-length script if you do not follow this standard).

The key is to know how to count the lines correctly. You have to measure from the baseline of Line 1 to the baseline of Line 7. Yes, 7.

This is my line number 1
This is my line number
This is my line number
This is my line number
This is my line number
This is my line number
This is my line number 7

Measure from the bottom of the 'm' in 'my' (not the bottom of the 'y'). The distance should be very, very close to 1".
Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:52 AM   #16
Dr. Vergerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
Hello. I have Courier, Courier New, Courier Screenplay and Courier Std on my computer. Obviously, it's a minor point, as it's easy to use the default Courier Screenplay too. Is it one of those things that it really doesn't matter? Just over thinking this I guess.
Courier Std? Where did you get it from? That's a very nice and readable Courier; it's the one Movie Magic puts in the PDFs.

I think Courier Screenplay is very nice too, but I found some display issues with it in Fade In (I don't remember exactly what they were, though, but nothing too important, maybe just that bold italics didn't look well or something).

If you want to try Courier 10BT, but can't find it, PM me an e-mail address and I'll send it to you.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:40 AM   #17
Troy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
Courier Std? Where did you get it from? That's a very nice and readable Courier; it's the one Movie Magic puts in the PDFs.

I think Courier Screenplay is very nice too, but I found some display issues with it in Fade In (I don't remember exactly what they were, though, but nothing too important, maybe just that bold italics didn't look well or something).

If you want to try Courier 10BT, but can't find it, PM me an e-mail address and I'll send it to you.
Thanks for the offer, but I might as well just go with the default font. I'm not that picky. I have a fonts folder on my computer with some various fonts, Courier Std is one of them. Over the years, I've downloaded and tested many fonts, mainly from playing with graphic programs. However, I don't remember installing them last time I formatted my drive. Either it came with the other software I own: Movie Draft or Scrivener, then I must have installed it from that folder.

Back to templates, when starting a new project, which template do you use, or do you change depending on the project. In the discussion previous, there just seemed to be a lot of comparing of the templates, but no indication of what people use or why bother changing.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:11 AM   #18
Dr. Vergerus

I use the one I described in the OP. Why bother? I just like it better. The default template is okay, although I'd disable scene and character continue and enable break on sentences. The reasons for this are:
-scene continue is only necessary in production drafts and it takes space;
-character continue -- there's nothing wrong with it, but I find it adds unnecessary clutter to the page;
-break on sentences is the standard way to break dialogue across pages.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #19
Troy
User

Fade In Pro rocks, especially in the early stages when I like to use something else.

With the fountain syntax, I can work in a text editor (I like OmmWriter on Windows) and just paste into Fade In Pro.

How?

Look here: http://fountain.io/_img/fountain-quickreference.jpg

Type in a text editor. When you're done, copy.

In Fade In Pro, right click > Fountain > Paste as Fountain.

It's properly formatted. Pretty cool.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #20
Paradis

FADE IN user here. This is some good stuff. I've have the software for over a year but haven't been able to dig in and mess with it yet. I've been working on too many older FD 7 files that don't translate. Will be referring back to this later.
Paradis is offline   Reply With Quote