Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 12:34 AM   #41
ComicBent

Default Re: Fade In Pro -- tips, feedback, requested features

Quote:
Thanks. Usually it's done through ctrl + hyphen, I think.
In Word it is Ctrl+Shift hyphen.

In my nonfiction work I use Word, and I use nonbreaking hyphens and nonbreaking spaces fairly often. I hate to see something like *Mrs. Smith* with *Mrs.* at the end of a line and *Smith* as the first word on the next. This happens a lot, so I use a nonbreaking space.

For those who maybe care ... You can insert a Unicode character into a Word document fairly easily. The font has got to contain the character, or you will get a substituted font, and it will look truly dreadful (Word substitutes the horrible-looking MS Mincho on my computer). Times and Arial contain a lot of the Unicode glyphs (characters), as do some of the high-quality Open Source free fonts like Gentium, DejaVu, and various other really nice fonts.

To insert a Unicode character in Word: Type the hexadecimal code (it may be a combination of numbers and letters). Immediately after the code (no space), type ALT+X. This will change the code into the corresponding glyph/character. You do not have to use the numeric keyboard for this; the regular number keys are fine.

Interestingly, you can toggle back and forth between the code and the glyph by using ALT+X.

For example, to insert a nonbreaking hyphen in Word, you can either use the Ctrl+Shift Hyphen key combination, or you can type 2011 and then ALT+X.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:34 AM   #42
Dr. Vergerus

I've just checked in LibreOffice Writer, and it too works with ctrl+shift+hyphen and ctrl+shift+space.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #43
Fade In Pro
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
Question: does anybody know how to insert a nonbreaking hyphen in Fade In? Thanks.
Next update, hopefully by tomorrow night.
Fade In Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:04 AM   #44
Dr. Vergerus

Great! Thanks.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #45
Fade In Pro
User

(Sorry took a few days longer than I expected to get everything tidied up, but the latest update is now available with Control/Cmd+Shift+space/hyphen.)
Old 07-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #46
Dr. Vergerus

Yes, I downloaded it earlier today. Works great, as usual with Fade In. Thanks!
Old 11-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #47
Dr. Vergerus

Two issues with Fountain in Fade In Pro:

- when pasting Fountain code (Right Click>Fountain>Paste as Fountain), an extra blank line appears before the added text. Is this a design choice or a bug?

- it doesn't seem to support the boneyard function (/* some text */) yet.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #48
Fade In Pro
User

If I recall correctly, the extra blank line is part of making sure that any Fountain formatting pastes in consistently and not part of an existing line (which could lose/misinterpret formatting). I'll have to take a closer look at that to see if (a) I'm right, and (b) it's [still] necessary and if something can be done about it.

And yeah, the boneyard function is just pasted in as regular text. The reasons for this is that there's not currently/yet a direct corollary for boneyarded Fountain text. Fade In could put it into a note, or fold it into synopsis text, but neither of those seem ideal or even desirable, so that present approach is to let the user figure out what to do with it in the Fade In document.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #49
ComicBent

Even as someone who does not use Fade in Pro, I have to say with admiration, "Wow! Fast service."

As for the extra line that gets pasted in ... (1) I am just curious whether Dr. Vergerus is pasting into the same paragraph (after the last word) or onto the next line (into a new paragraph). I am thinking that the extra line might not appear if you paste directly after the last word but still in the same paragraph. (2) This kind of thing (the extra line that gets added) is so common in software programs that I hardly even notice it. I just expect it to be there, and without even thinking about it I just delete the extra line.

I am a big proponent of using Fountain, so I am glad to see that Fade In Pro provides the support that it does and is responsive to the requests of users.

Just as part of my software investigations, I have used a free online service to convert Fountain to the .fdx that FinalDraft uses. The conversion works superbly for everything that the service supports. But some of the less commonly used things are not supported. I think that dual dialogue and the boneyard were some of these, but I could be wrong.
SIDEBAR: Why do I like Fountain? First, let me say that I do not propose it as anything but an enhancement to the writing process. But my reasons for liking Fountain are essentially two things:
(1) I use a wonderful free program called Keynote NF (v1.7.9.4, beta 4), which is a tabbed notebook that has been around for a long time. With it I can keep structured information about characters, events, the plot, the subplot, bits and pieces of things that I have written, etc., etc. All of this is done under page tabs, with each tab having its own data tree. Anyway, I can write a complete script, or polish a text version of someone else's script, in Fountain format under one of these tabbed pages. I have all my notes right at hand. Then I can export the text of a script and process it into another script format.
(2) I have been an amateur (I stress amateur) programmer for twenty years. I love the experience of using a few simple formatting rules and a few simple codes to prepare a document that will magically convert into a beautifully formatted script just by importing it into a screenwriting application.
Best ...

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #50
Dr. Vergerus

You're right, ComicBent, I get the extra line if I paste as Fountain in the line where the new text should begin; if I paste in the last written line, then I don't get the extra blank line before the converted Fountain code. So this is standard behavior in code editors?