Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2020, 07:25 PM   #1
WritePaths
New User

Default Final Draft v8 Issue Question

Hi Everyone, Wondering if anyone is having issue using v8 versus the current v11. I currently am using version 8. I cannot upgrade to v11 (but I want to) as my PC uses Win7 op system, and v11 requires Win10. Just recently, within the past few months, when I open my scripts, the page view is locked on a page width of 3.5 inches. And I've tried every setting to get it back to the normal view, to change the page width, and nothing works to correct it. I called Final Draft's tech line, and they, rather rudely, dismissed me, saying v8 is not supported. I understand that, but we should be able to use v8, right? Has anyone also experienced this? If so, any tips to correct? Or is it a "lock out" tactic to force us to upgrade to v11? Appreciate any advice.

All Best,
Mike
WritePaths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:29 PM   #2
JoeBanks

Default Re: Final Draft v8 Issue Question

I mean, v.8 has been obsolete on Macs (not just unsupported but literally unable to run under the OS) for over 3 years now. But you probably couldn't have run your copy of Final Draft from 1999 on any computer system in 2009 when v.8 was originally released either. Tempus fugit
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:08 AM   #3
Bono

I don't know what the issue is -- are you saying your screen is super tiny? I'd say reinstall it, but now I don't know if Final Draft will even authorize it again since it's so old... Maybe ask if you can upgrade to ver 9 for cheaper?

But the answer is upgrade your OS so you can upgrade Final Draft or buy another software program like Fade In that's cheaper and most people like better. I don't know the OS requirements, so still it may just be your OS that is holding you back.

I have a Mac and I use Final Draft 11 on newer iMac and Final Draft 9 on macbook. I think in college I started on ver. 3 maybe?

I know people hate it -- but it works fine for me over the years for the simple things I do.

Maybe ebay would lead to Final Draft 9 or 10 that may support Windows 7?
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:53 PM   #4
ComicBent

In all sincerity and in the friendliest spirit ...

Stop screwing around with Final Draft and always having to deal with crap like this.

Spend $80 and get Fade In. BTW, I have no financial interest in Fade In. I only know the creator of it online. The benefits:
  • Available for Windows, Mac, Linux.
  • You can export to Final Draft .fdx format. You can import both .fdr and .fdx format. And import/export really works.
  • You can use Fade In on all of your own personal computers (please, do the honest thing with this!). I have it on three computers right now.
  • You get FREE upgrades, and they come out fairly often.
  • Unicode compliant.
  • You can write alternate paragraphs (like Action paragraphs, Dialogue) and scene versions to have more than one version of a scene. Of course, you can save these and recall any alternate or version.
  • You can insert graphics. Unlikely, I know, except maybe for a title page.
  • You can create your own element types. This can be a lot more important than you might think, especially if you write for the stage.
  • Perfect export and import of Fountain text files. Fade In takes your text file and imports it to create a perfectly formatted screenplay. You can also paste text as Fountain into a screenplay, and Fade In will automatically convert the Fountain text into Fade In text.
  • You can get help from the creator of the program through email support, or you can ask questions here.
  • You can create notes and synopses.
  • This is a truly fantastic program. And using it means that you do not have to screw around with Final Draft anymore.
  • Check out the website and try the free demo.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." — ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:56 PM   #5
TigerFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by WritePaths View Post
Hi Everyone, Wondering if anyone is having issue using v8 versus the current v11. I currently am using version 8. I cannot upgrade to v11 (but I want to) as my PC uses Win7 op system, and v11 requires Win10. Just recently, within the past few months, when I open my scripts, the page view is locked on a page width of 3.5 inches. And I've tried every setting to get it back to the normal view, to change the page width, and nothing works to correct it. I called Final Draft's tech line, and they, rather rudely, dismissed me, saying v8 is not supported. I understand that, but we should be able to use v8, right? Has anyone also experienced this? If so, any tips to correct? Or is it a "lock out" tactic to force us to upgrade to v11? Appreciate any advice.

All Best,
Mike
Hi, Mike. Does the text in the script wrap around and carry down long, skinny script pages, or is the screenplay normal and you can only see 3.5” of it? Have you tried using your cursor to “grab” a corner and expand the Graphic User Interface? Also, there are some little boxes to click in the upper corner to change views.

One thing that could cause this (and happened to me once) is a recently installed program or other add-on. This is especially true, it seems, of anything that is “free” or open-sourced. If you’ve recently installed another writing program or application, uninstall it or else don’t give it permission to control Final Draft.

I’ll crack open my Final Draft 9 in a little while and see if I can duplicate your issue. But, and ComicBent has a good argument, Fade In is the way to go. It works perfectly with every OS in my arsenal of computers, young or old. I have PCs and Macs, and I’m glad I got away from those overpriced updates and upgrades of other screenwriting programs.

Try Fade In; you’ll be glad you did. Then buy it.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:42 PM   #6
WritePaths
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
I mean, v.8 has been obsolete on Macs (not just unsupported but literally unable to run under the OS) for over 3 years now. But you probably couldn't have run your copy of Final Draft from 1999 on any computer system in 2009 when v.8 was originally released either. Tempus fugit

Understand that, JoeBanks. But it was designed to run on Win7, has been running fine on Win7 (no support or updates needed) for the 6 or so years I've owned it, so should continue to operate with no issues. I do understand that compatibility with future revisions could be an issue....
Old 06-01-2020, 07:59 PM   #7
WritePaths
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
I don't know what the issue is -- are you saying your screen is super tiny? I'd say reinstall it, but now I don't know if Final Draft will even authorize it again since it's so old... Maybe ask if you can upgrade to ver 9 for cheaper?

But the answer is upgrade your OS so you can upgrade Final Draft or buy another software program like Fade In that's cheaper and most people like better. I don't know the OS requirements, so still it may just be your OS that is holding you back.

I have a Mac and I use Final Draft 11 on newer iMac and Final Draft 9 on macbook. I think in college I started on ver. 3 maybe?

I know people hate it -- but it works fine for me over the years for the simple things I do.

Maybe ebay would lead to Final Draft 9 or 10 that may support Windows 7?

Hi Bono. Thank you for your suggestions. Yes, v8 only runs on Win7 (I'm not a Mac user), so would need to upgrade my PC to Win10 to use v11.

The screen view is still the same size lengthwise (letter, 11"), but the width is only 3.5". The ruler at the top of the page shows this. I've tried every every option to change it but it appears locked. I don't think it I can reload it and have it be operable at this point as it requires registration with the key and Final Draft does not support it any longer.

Thanks for advising about Fade In, but I need to stay with the industry standard as will be working with film industry folks who typically solely use Final Draft and I need to have that compatibility. So....it's looking like I'll have to upgrade to both Win10, and v11.

All Best,
Mike
Old 06-01-2020, 08:19 PM   #8
WritePaths
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
Hi, Mike. Does the text in the script wrap around and carry down long, skinny script pages, or is the screenplay normal and you can only see 3.5” of it? Have you tried using your cursor to “grab” a corner and expand the Graphic User Interface? Also, there are some little boxes to click in the upper corner to change views.

One thing that could cause this (and happened to me once) is a recently installed program or other add-on. This is especially true, it seems, of anything that is “free” or open-sourced. If you’ve recently installed another writing program or application, uninstall it or else don’t give it permission to control Final Draft.

I’ll crack open my Final Draft 9 in a little while and see if I can duplicate your issue. But, and ComicBent has a good argument, Fade In is the way to go. It works perfectly with every OS in my arsenal of computers, young or old. I have PCs and Macs, and I’m glad I got away from those overpriced updates and upgrades of other screenwriting programs.

Try Fade In; you’ll be glad you did. Then buy it.

Hi TigerFang. Really appreciate your feedback.

It's really odd, and never has done this prior....the screen view is still the same size lengthwise (letter, 11"), but the width is only 3.5"....0 to 3.5" shows in the ruler at the top of the page. So it is a long, thin strip of writing. I've tried every every option to change it but it appears locked, like a margin lock. I don't think it I can reload it and have it be operable at this point as it requires registration with the key and Final Draft does not support it any longer. And I have not installed any other program recently either.

Thanks for advising about Fade In, but as I also mentioned to Bono in his post back, I need to stay with the industry standard as will be working with film industry folks who typically solely use Final Draft and I need to have that compatibility. So....it's looking like I'll have to upgrade to both Win10, and v11.

All Best,
Mike
Old 06-01-2020, 08:25 PM   #9
WritePaths
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBent View Post
In all sincerity and in the friendliest spirit ...

Stop screwing around with Final Draft and always having to deal with crap like this.

Spend $80 and get Fade In. BTW, I have no financial interest in Fade In. I only know the creator of it online. The benefits:
  • Available for Windows, Mac, Linux.
  • You can export to Final Draft .fdx format. You can import both .fdr and .fdx format. And import/export really works.
  • You can use Fade In on all of your own personal computers (please, do the honest thing with this!). I have it on three computers right now.
  • You get FREE upgrades, and they come out fairly often.
  • Unicode compliant.
  • You can write alternate paragraphs (like Action paragraphs, Dialogue) and scene versions to have more than one version of a scene. Of course, you can save these and recall any alternate or version.
  • You can insert graphics. Unlikely, I know, except maybe for a title page.
  • You can create your own element types. This can be a lot more important than you might think, especially if you write for the stage.
  • Perfect export and import of Fountain text files. Fade In takes your text file and imports it to create a perfectly formatted screenplay. You can also paste text as Fountain into a screenplay, and Fade In will automatically convert the Fountain text into Fade In text.
  • You can get help from the creator of the program through email support, or you can ask questions here.
  • You can create notes and synopses.
  • This is a truly fantastic program. And using it means that you do not have to screw around with Final Draft anymore.
  • Check out the website and try the free demo.

Thanks ComicBent. I wouldn't mind switching, however, if you've read my replies to Bono and TigerFang, I really need to be in sync/compatible with the industry standard in the film industry. I've read that something like 95% of screenwriters use Final Draft.

All Best.
Mike
Old 06-02-2020, 07:47 AM   #10
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WritePaths View Post
Thanks for advising about Fade In, but as I also mentioned to Bono in his post back, I need to stay with the industry standard as will be working with film industry folks who typically solely use Final Draft and I need to have that compatibility. So....it's looking like I'll have to upgrade to both Win10, and v11.
I was seconds away from posting my six to seven paragraph response to all the above, but figured I'd not launch into all that (just yet), and rather simply ask, who are these industry folks you are going to be working with and on what? You don't have to be overly specific for privacy sake, but what is all this for? And when are you starting to work with them? Right now? Six months from now? A year from now?
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote