This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

The BL readers all commented on how vivid and breathtaking my sci-fi worlds were, but then went on to give me a 5,6 and 7 respectively for setting.

From what I can tell, to get a high score, you need locals which are perfect for your plot. So a 10 means "This story could take place no where else but here."

Fargo, Alien, Die Hard would all be good examples of 10's.
    I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
      My script is set in the 1940's NYC, so nailing the setting is probably a good thing.

Anyone willing to share if you personally got 8's in some elements but not in the overall score, if you still got downloads from the email blast? It'd help me to decide if I need another reader review or not. Thanks in advance.
      With a script that got an overall 7, I got 8s in Character and Plot. I got 3 downloads in the Friday e-mail blast. I think you're most likely to get downloads if you get 8s in Premise (for many pros, it's all about the concept) and Character.

I'd strongly recommend that you get another review, mostly because with a score of 7, there's a good chance you'll end up on the Top Uploaded list with your next rating (since the average of uploaded scripts is currently 5.06).
      "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
        I've wondered about setting myself. IIRC, it's not one of the original 5 areas of score.
        It wasn't in the early scoring but it was actually listed as one of the categories in the FAQ when the service launched. Weird.
        Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

For those with this quandary -- were a few 8's in individual categories in an email blast enough to get you anymore downloads/views?
          AFAIK I got 1 view as a result of an 8 for Plot and 2 downloads as a result of an 8 for Premise on 2 different scripts.
          Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

The average of uploaded scripts is currently 5.06.
            And if I understand correctly how the scripts are scored, this is a validation of the process. A value of ~5 is what the average ought to be.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
              With a script that got an overall 7, I got 8s in Character and Plot. I got 3 downloads in the Friday e-mail blast. I think you're most likely to get downloads if you get 8s in Premise (for many pros, it's all about the concept) and Character.
              I checked out the FAQ -- sounds like they aren't highlighting individual category scores in the email blasts anymore?

Q: What qualifies me for the weekly industry highlights email?

You need to receive an overall score of 8 or greater to make the weekly mailing. Scripts receiving a score from a paid reader or industry member during the previous 7 days will make this email.

Franklin, is this correct?
              Last edited by figment; 01-15-2014, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Ok, now that I've experienced the Black list, here is my question:
                In reading the review, the reader cites missing beats to make emotional connections between the two main characters. I feel that there were several scenes that set up the emotional transitions.

IF, I want to register a complaint, who arbitrates? Does someone go in and read the review then look over the screenplay again? I understand it's subjective and that I'm attached, etc., so I can accept that it needs work. But the area listed as weakness seems to have been covered...or so I thought.

I don't want to create extra work for BL by whining so I'm not sure if it's worth saying something about.

Any thoughts?
                SL35
                Potent dreamer. Newb disclaimer.

Comment

I checked out the FAQ -- sounds like they aren't highlighting individual category scores in the email blasts anymore?

You need to receive an overall score of 8 or greater to make the weekly mailing. Scripts receiving a score from a paid reader or industry member during the previous 7 days will make this email.

Yes, you need an 8 overall to be included in the weekly highlights mail but if you score 8+ in a category that a manager has expressed an interest in then they will be notified of your script. (At least that's how it was when I used TBL).
                  M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverlynx35 View Post
                    In reading the review, the reader cites missing beats to make emotional connections between the two main characters. I feel that there were several scenes that set up the emotional transitions.

IF, I want to register a complaint, who arbitrates? Does someone go in and read the review then look over the screenplay again? I understand it's subjective and that I'm attached, etc., so I can accept that it needs work. But the area listed as weakness seems to have been covered...or so I thought.

I don't want to create extra work for BL by whining so I'm not sure if it's worth saying something about.

Any thoughts?
                    You feel you set up the transitions, the reader didn't, I'm not sure you have any grounds to complain. This seems standard - just a difference of opinion. I don't think there's enough there to indicate a part or skim read - there's usually far more glaring issues - but if you want to complain anyway just open a ticket and they'll review your case. But like I said, it seems pretty weak so I wouldn't hold out hope of a re-read.

You can always post the pages and see what DDP'ers think. At least then you'll get more of a consensus.
                    Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 01-15-2014, 07:49 AM.
                    M.A.G.A.

Comment

Also, is ANY 8 enough to get you in the component newsletter (if it still exists)? Even for "setting"?
                      "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverlynx35 View Post

Any thoughts?
                        If you have good reason to feel the reader has been sloppy in any way Franklin will most likely want to know about it.

As for the extra work, you're paying $20pm just for them to host your script!

Personally, if the score is low and the comment is part of some more extensively detailed weaknesses, I'd write it off to the reader becoming disinterested and not picking up on all the detail.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                          Also, is ANY 8 enough to get you in the component newsletter (if it still exists)? Even for "setting"?
                          Franklin previously stated that a script that scored well would be included in emails sent on Friday to those industry pro members who specified an interest in being alerted to scripts that scored well in that category. AFAIK, that is still the case.

Comment

As far as I know they still are including individual category spotlights; they just probably didn't mention that in the FAQs. Those e-mail blasts go to individual members who expressed an interest in the category, not the whole membership.

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
                              As far as I know they still are including individual category spotlights; they just probably didn't mention that in the FAQs. Those e-mail blasts go to individual members who expressed an interest in the category, not the whole membership.
                              Friday emails still go out to folks who have requested notification about scripts that score well in individual categories.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
                                Friday emails still go out to folks who have requested notification about scripts that score well in individual categories.
                                Gotcha - thanks.

While you're here, would it be possible to see any data about scripts on the site that fall into the "wide score disparity" category - meaning the 4% you mentioned that have a difference between scores of 1.5 points or greater? It would be interesting to know if that group is dominated by certain genres, for example those typically considered polarizing, such as comedy.

Would be interesting to know just out of curiosity; not to invite any sniping.

Comment

Working...
                                X