Brand yourself as a single genre writer?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand yourself as a single genre writer?

This is from Go Into The Story

https://gointothestory.blcklst.com/r...s-e3aafc2fee85

This is advice for breaking in:

Write 3 scripts in 1 genre: Not 3 scripts in 3 different genres, but 1 genre.
    Rationale: It is easier to sell you to the town if you are known as an Action writer, a Comedy writer, a Drama writer, and so on. The fact is, people will put you on lists based on whatever script first gets their attention. Like it or not, this is your brand. And having a brand makes the life of managers and agents a whole lot easier to sell you and your writing services.
    Do you folks agree or disagree?

I remember Oren Uziel talking about this and how writing in a genre puts you on a list of guys who write in that genre and the more you write in that the further you move up in the list.

I think he mentioned the quoted approach as the standard approach but he took the different one and wrote in disparate genres so he got on multiple lists.

Re: Brand yourself as a single genre writer?

Disagree.

When you're writing just for you, when you're outside the system and have complete freedom, the only consideration about what you're writing that should matter is how excited you are to write it. Write the film that is burning a fire under you, demanding to be written. Write the movie that you would pass up a date with a rich, funny, smart, model-turned-yoga-teacher to sit alone in the theater to watch.

Once you break in, you will feel some pressure to follow up on whatever you break in with by writing in the same or a similar genre. When you meet a rep, you want to be able to talk to them about other ideas which are going to feel like they were written by the same person.

Branding yourself may make sense once you are a working writer. Let yourself be typecast, establish yourself, then break out of that mold.

But when you don't have rep, when you're not a working writer? HELL NO.

Give yourself the freedom to explore, to play. You may not even know what genre really expresses itself best through you yet. You may not know who you are as a writer.

There may well be a time when your career, for a period, puts limits upon you. That's okay. But don't put limits on yourself when you don't have to.

Comment

i've focused lately on making historical-based stories (fictional and non-fictional) my thing as a writer. talking to a producer about a Mad Men-esque pilot that i put up on the Black List and they really responded to, especially the attention to detail and authenticity.

on the other hand, i'm an attorney by training so i also realize that's probably a more likely path for "breaking in" as a working TV writer because there are just so many more legal dramas or shows that would be helped by having a lawyer voice in the room

i know what potential reps would tell me to focus on (and working writers have); at the same time, the thing that got me the meeting is the hard-to-sell period drama. it's hard for me to say either of them would be the wrong way to go in terms of my "brand"

as ron says, write the thing that you're most passionate about at the moment and that will come through on the page if you're being true to the story.

Comment

I agree with Ronaldhino -- getting pigeon-holed before being established is a major limitation. You don't want people reacting to your pitches by saying we could have used him/her but he'she's really a (name a genre) writer. You want people to think that you "are worth considering", not thinking you "would be worth considering if only."
        "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

You don't brand "you" really. Hollywood brands you. If you sell a comedy, then you are comedy writer to this industry. It's that simple. I'm not talking about what's right or wrong OR fair or not. That's what is going to happen in the vast majority of cases. There is a reason that advice is given out.

If you want to explore all kinds of genres, then knock yourself out. But I highly suggest that you pick one genre in particular which you love above all else and have two or three scripts written in that genre that are ready to go. If you sell, a comedy, no one is going to ask to meet with you to discuss horror, drama, sci-fi, etc projects. They are going to want to know what other comedies you have because that's "your thing."

One of the first things Oren set up was a Crime-Thriller. You know what was next? A Thriller. About seven months later he did sell a Sci-Fi Action Comedy which had ended up on the Black List. (Don't count on being on the BL to help you get attention.) Eight months later he got hired to write an Action-Fantasy. Next he was hired to adapt a Mystery Drama. Then he sold an Action pitch followed by Sci-Fi Thriller he sold. Etc. See how "thriller" comes up a bit, for example?

I say this very nicely and very respectively, but just because Oren did it to some degree doesn't mean thousands of others can too. Keep in mind those genres are not all over the map. Three thrillers. Three action. Two sci-fi. Or some combo there in.

Most writers who actually break-in will get known for one genre early on -- whether they like it or not -- before they have the clout to say, "I want to do this genre, this genre and also that genre as well." I recommend you be ready to fit the mold Hollywood gives you based on what you sell first so you can get a few more things sold and/or hired for assignments in that same/similar genre. Once you get rolling and in a demand some, then start branching out.

Sure, write different genres, as you like. Explore. Focus on passion stories/projects. But I say again, pick at least one genre -- hopefully your favorite & strongest relatively speaking -- and have a couple of additional scripts in that genre to get and keep the ball rolling at first. Once you get going THEN you can re-brand yourself as desired and pull scripts out of your desk drawer in other genres. Then sell those specs. Get assignments to adapt for other genres and so on because of your craft as a writer ultimately.
          Will
          Done Deal Pro
          www.donedealpro.com

Comment

I agree with the OP and Done Deal.

Getting work in Hollywood is about phone calls. Being good in a specific arena makes the conversation more focused.

When you're reps call about a gig, they can say:

1. "I have this writer who is a master at (insert comedy, action, horror) and he'd be perfect for this (insert comedy, action, horror) job.

or,

2. "I have a writer who is a master at all genres and he/she'd be perfect for your horror pic."

Eventually you can branch out. But if you do it before you have momentum claiming a certain space, it'll slow down your career.

That's what happened to me.

Comment

I've heard the advice before, and it always makes sense to me. The business reasons are already well-listed by others, but I should also add that we all know writing is a skill that needs establishing and nurturing; you do it and you get better at it. Genre writing is exactly more of the same, and if you're going way over here, then there, then over there, you're really not sharpening any specific skill. If you're fortunate enough to be a gifted comedy writer, there's really no point in letting that muscle stagnate. You push it and work it as hard as you can, because if somebody wants to pay you 50, 100, or 250k to do another one after, I think there's worse things to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
                You don't brand "you" really. Hollywood brands you. If you sell a comedy, then you are comedy writer to this industry. It's that simple. I'm not talking about what's right or wrong OR fair or not. That's what is going to happen in the vast majority of cases. There is a reason that advice is given out.
                Unfortunately this is correct, which is part of the reason I don't like this situation. I've known writers who write excellently across a few genres, and I've always encouraged people not to restrict themselves despite the branding phenomenon.

In practice the reality is that this situation is usually self-resolving. Writers tend to work within a self-chosen genre or two simply as a matter of preference and the positive reinforcement they get from the work in which they naturally excel. So to an extent it becomes a moot point but I've always had a do-whatever-you-want instinct. It's one of those rare industries where uncertainty prevails.
                "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

I had branded myself (and had been branded by the town) as a low budget thriller guy for a decade. Did well enough to keep working and could have stayed in it. Then I wrote a big action script and everything changed - now I find opportunities in a bunch of different genres. Hell, my next spec is a tiny character driven drama, and my team hasn't said anything to dissuade me - they're excited for it. I'm glad I was able to get things started in that specific ghost/thriller space, but shedding that brand has been a major gain in terms of opportunities. Can't say for sure if things would have gone as well if I'd diversified at the beginning of my career - maybe I wouldn't have gotten my feet under me. Hard to say. Every career is different.
                  https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
                  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

I'm with Ronadinho.

Especially a newer writer shouldn't feel compelled to write something with the thought that "this is what I hear works" but to write what you are passionate about and to find your voice as you go along.

And if you always stick to the same genre--if you never try to do a rom-com, or a sci-fi, etc.--how will you know you are not amazing at it, or lousy at it?

DDP does little exercises/contests from time to time, and I did the April Fools one last year. For the first time I tried writing in a male voice, and found it interesting, liberating, and frankly, kind of fun.

It seems to me that iIf you don't try to stretch yourself and put your neck out there just for the hell of it, you probably limit your growth and potential in the long run.

Comment

If anybody's looking for the pro perspective, they addressed this on this week's Scriptnotes: http://johnaugust.com/2016/revenge-of-the-clams

And also touched on it in the Children of Tendu episode where they interviewed a former agent: http://childrenoftendu.libsyn.com/agents-of-tendu

As far as I can tell, writers say write whatever you're most passionate about, while agents say it's easier to sell you if they know what "list" to put you on.

Personally, I'm naturally drawn to a particular type of script and I'm happy to stick with that for now. But in a general sense I land where a lot of other posters have - when you're figuring yourself out, write anything you feel like. Once you get going, though, you may just find a lane you're happy with.

I'd also say that if you're going out into the market with a script, then make sure you'd be happy to write more scripts in that genre, because that's what people are going to want from you. If you've only got one sci-fi action-adventure in you, maybe don't make that your calling card.

Comment

You can spec any genre you like.
                        You can get hired to adapt/rewrite/etc. whatever you are known for.

Comment

Originally posted by omjs View Post
                          If anybody's looking for the pro perspective, they addressed this on this week's Scriptnotes: http://johnaugust.com/2016/revenge-of-the-clams

And also touched on it in the Children of Tendu episode where they interviewed a former agent: http://childrenoftendu.libsyn.com/agents-of-tendu

As far as I can tell, writers say write whatever you're most passionate about, while agents say it's easier to sell you if they know what "list" to put you on.

Personally, I'm naturally drawn to a particular type of script and I'm happy to stick with that for now. But in a general sense I land where a lot of other posters have - when you're figuring yourself out, write anything you feel like. Once you get going, though, you may just find a lane you're happy with.

I'd also say that if you're going out into the market with a script, then make sure you'd be happy to write more scripts in that genre, because that's what people are going to want from you. If you've only got one sci-fi action-adventure in you, maybe don't make that your calling card.
                          Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X