No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice

Hi guys,

I'm in the enviable position of choosing between managers. Anybody else been in this position? What swayed you one way or the other? Any regrets?

They all have a track record of sales - some better than others, but maybe it's more about fit than sales for me. I don't know. Does the size of the company matter? Or is it more about the individual manager?

Any insights greatly appreciated!

Re: Need some advice

Go with your gut.

Don't overthink it. All other things being equal, it's the guy you jibe with. In fact, even a "better" manager you hate probably won't do you as much good as a lower-tier guy who loves and "gets" you.

Or else just flip a coin, and accept the result. The decision is made for you.

I'm not joking.

Comment

absolutely. gut. someone who gets you. fit.

Comment

The gut. Always go with your gut.
        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Haven't been in any similar position, but I'll tell you what I'd look for: process. I'd try and talk to their other clients actually. To get a feel of how they ask you for new ideas (i.e., "send me 10 ideas every week!" or "Just send me the idea you want to go with), how much of the "should we go out with this" is collaborative vs an executive decision on their part, how much general influence they give along the way and whether you're comfortable with that, etc.

It just seems like there's so much you won't really know until working together that talking to other clients would be helpful. Have I ever done that? No. But I've heard that advice before.

Comment

How well you connect with your rep matters 1000x more than the size and clout of the company.

Look, you need to first understand that 90% of your success is not going to be because of your agent or manager. It's going to be because of you. There's a reason why you get 90% of the money and they get 10%. YOU matter more than your agent.

Therefore, what matters in your agent is, first and foremost, how well they help you to be the best writer you can be. Do they work with you well in whatever capacity you want them to work with you?

Comment

Who's most excited to work with you?
              Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Given the recent thread on managers, there are probably a few good questions to ask... I agree with Emily: who's most excited, but also, what are their plans, very specifically? Do they expect you to pitch 20 ideas a month to them? Do they plan on taking a script out right away, or do they anticipate a long development period? Are they open to reading older scripts of yours? Do they insist that you only write in one genre? That kind of stuff. Important stuff.

Comment

Wow, some really great advice on this thread (not that I expected any less on these forums!). Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

One of the reps has a more established sales record than the others, and that's definitely important. But I think Ronaldhino made a good point - in the end, I'm the one writing the scripts. My priority has always been to find someone who could help me do that. I keep hearing that a great script speaks for itself - and that's all I'm really hoping for.

Rantanplan, I asked a few of those questions, but you mentioned some others I wish I'd asked. I'll send a follow-up e-mail clarifying these points.

emily, just curious - do you think the answer to that question should be a big deciding factor?

Comment

I was recently in a very similar situation. Had two managers want to take me on. One was very high up on the food chain. Big player. Another was much lower but seemingly MUCH more excited about my work. I went back and forth (this is all within the past three weeks) and finally decided on the second manager based on our connection and my gut. So far it's working out well. At the end of the day it's a business arrangement you have to be comfortable with and need to feel confident that you'll be a priority. Good luck! It's a good stress to have!

Comment

Originally posted by versed View Post
                      emily, just curious - do you think the answer to that question should be a big deciding factor?
                      I absolutely do. A manager who's not passionate about you will lose interest quickly. A manager who sees your potential will hustle for you. I'd take a manager at a boutique who's excited over a manager at a big firm who's just sort of "meh" any day. Ideally you get both.

But like Rantan said, you still have to take into consideration their track record and their long term plans for your material. And whether or not you trust them.
                      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

My 1 cents worth.

If you have a medium sized firm, and a big firm, everything else being pretty much equal, I'd go with the larger firm. How do you know which is larger?
                        One way is sales. Here are the 2011 spec sales by manager. Number on
                        the right is the sales in 2010. Number at top is sales in 2011. H2F was the big dog.

You can read this yourself at http://gointothestory.blcklst.com/ca...c-script-sales

He has all sorts of very useful information.

You can see if the companies you are considered sold any scripts in 2011.

So far, 2012 is all over the place but Energy, Mgmt 360 and Kaplan/Perrone
                        are selling scripts

FWIW The Cole IF you feel it is valuable information, mail me a donut.http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...es/biggrin.gif

H2F Entertainment [3]

New Wave Entertainment [N/A]

Kaplan/Perrone Entertainment [2]

Benderspink [1]
                        Circle of Confusion [3]
                        Energy Entertainment [2]
                        Industry Entertainment [1]

Gotham Group, The [1]
                        Management 360 [1]
                        ROAR Entertainment [N/A]

Magnet Management [N/A]
                        Principato-Young Entertainment [N/A]
                        Last edited by ColeBlackburn; 05-03-2012, 07:01 AM. Reason: Didn't work (smiley)

Comment

obviously also consider the company's ability to package if they are more than just lit.

Comment

Hmm, let's say:

Rep #1 is high on this list of spec sales.

Rep #2 is not on this list, but seemed more excited about my work and felt like a better fit.

?

Comment

Just to chime in on the spec sales report card, a lot of sales happen that do not get reported.

As an example, I sold a clients script to WB in October for a lot of money, it was not in the trades. (one of several client sales to WB never in the trades).

I've sold 2 scripts this year, neither in the trades.

The best way to check on a manager/agent is to ask those in the business about them. Are they known as a hustler? Are they known for having great taste? Are their clients booking assignments? Are they well liked?

All should be kept in mind when signing with someone. I get that a lot of people may not have close ties with execs to ask them that, but you probably have a writer friend who does, so if you can, ask them to ask for you.

Best,

MB
                              twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Working...
                              X