Alright, I'm not afraid to post it..LOOKING FOR MANAGER..

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright, I'm not afraid to post it..LOOKING FOR MANAGER..

Hello fellow done dealers,

My name is Chris Keller, I currently reside in Chicago Illinois, and have a completed screenplay I co-wrote with my writing partner Janet.

We have received highly positive feedback on our script, a family Christmas Script.

I'm the marketing/promo in the operation, my writing partner is the trained professional writer who brought my story and crazy A.D.D. method of writing to light and formatted it, etc.

So, here is my question.

Manager vs agent. From what I understand, we need a manager right now, someone who will take our script (and us) under their wing to to speak and guide us through the process and ultimately find an agent. someone with the contacts and relationships to give to potential suitors.

IF NONE of these people accept blind queries, well then how the hell do you get an agent or manager??!!!

is this correct?

thank all for your help.

ps: don't mistake my enthusiasm for lack of experience or professionalism
    • Go and do likewise gents..

Re: Alright, I'm not afraid to post it..LOOKING FOR MANAGER..

We also made it to the quarter finals in the 2012 Page Awards by the way. I know that's not the most awesome thing in the world, cause we didn't advance to the finals or semis, BUT, it was our first draft at 141 pages, we have since then rewrote and rewrote it and its NOW READY.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ChristopherCurtis View Post
      IF NONE of these people accept blind queries, well then how the hell do you get an agent or manager??!!!

is this correct?
      It's not correct. No one legit accepts unsolicited submissions, but that doesn't mean you can't query them, and if they like it, that they won't ask for the script.

Many queries are deleted unread. Some aren't. There've been threads here about people having double digit requests for scripts just off query letters.

Comment

That said, it is damnably hard to get someone who matters to read your script. Much easier to get a novel or a play read. You just have to keep hacking away and do good work and expect the stars to align. Someday, somewhere, if you have a good concept and a professional delivery, someone will bite.

Comment

My background is almost 20 years in the radio and record industry in radio promotions, and A&R for Sony music/epic records. We (back in the day) would get packages every day of bands and artists wanting us to listen to their material. We didn't throw it away, but it went into a big box, that the interns, assistants, and new a&r people lower on the rank would sift through and listen. They could then bring it into a meeting, or bring to my attention.

So, im sure its similar in the hollywood world. Most of our leads came from the inside, meaning a band was creating quite the buzz in market x, and local radio (usually larger market, with big named program director) started the buzz. it then became a pile on, and hype war and the band would get signed to someone. Usually us because we were the biggest and baddest.

I'm gonna just start sending out queries, but this is why I think MAJOR contests are so important. If you place or WIN in one of these contests, the agents/managers/studios see that as easy pickins and draw from there. makes sense to me.

I know that we would look at battle of the bands winners in different cities, or reality show winners, runners up, etc to potentially sign to our label. So, my point is my gut was right. Just start sending out the queries, network, learn, and have our script market ready, which it is now.

Comment

How many scripts have you written besides this one? Agents and managers are going to want to see if you can deliver the goods not just once, but multiple times. That's because most specs don't sell, but you might be good enough writers to land open writing assignments, using that spec script as a writing sample.

You're right about major contests. Nicholl is the big one.
            writertypepeople.tumblr.com
            twitter.com/susanlbridges
            pendantaudio.com

Comment

Have you tried that Black List service? You'll get immediate, objective feedback about how your script comes across to a blind industry reader. If I were in your shoes, that would be my first stop.

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                Have you tried that Black List service? You'll get immediate, objective feedback about how your script comes across to a blind industry reader. If I were in your shoes, that would be my first stop.
                Black list black list black list..seems to be all the rave and talk lately..no, we haven't put it up on there yet. I'm still researching it, but yes, that seems like a very viable place for sure. thanks.

Comment

It's not hard AT ALL to get people in the industry to read your scripts and there are a many ways to do it. If you target the right prodco's, agents and managers (i.e. ones that like the genere your script is in) and the concept is halfway decent, they will ask to read it.

The only thing that's hard to do it write a great script. That's hard...

Comment

Originally posted by Susanlbridges View Post
                    How many scripts have you written besides this one? Agents and managers are going to want to see if you can deliver the goods not just once, but multiple times. That's because most specs don't sell, but you might be good enough writers to land open writing assignments, using that spec script as a writing sample.

You're right about major contests. Nicholl is the big one.
                    my writing partner is the seasoned pro, many scripts under her belt, she's currently at disney/abc news in nyc...a great place for her to be for our family christmas script.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpywriter View Post
                      It's not hard AT ALL to get people in the industry to read your scripts and there are a many ways to do it. If you target the right prodco's, agents and managers (i.e. ones that like the genere your script is in) and the concept is halfway decent, they will ask to read it.

The only thing that's hard to do it write a great script. That's hard...
                      grumpy..i hear ya loud and clear! ive been in complete research mode the past few months with it, cross referencing IMDB with similar films, or those that viewed our loglines, referrals, on and on and on. I had a VA compile a list of over 800 contacts. My plan is to write the query, and then have her start sending them out, one by one, each personalized. here is what I was thinking of sending..thoughts??

Dear Mr. xxxxx:
                      We are Janet Lawler & Chris Keller, and we have a screenplay we thought might be right for you based on the success you have had in the family movie entertainment genre. (Alvin, Stuart Little, Casper).

HARK AND HAROLD: is about two north pole elves-one a family man always passed over for promotion, the other a bachelor sailing through life on his family name- who team up to help each other get a promotion and a wife, respectively, but trouble arises when they steal Santa's supersonic sleigh and crash down to Earth 12 days before Christmas. With the help of a local girl geek, they must repair the sleigh and return in time for Christmas.

Hark and Harold was a quarter finalist in the 2012 Page International Screenwriting Awards. We have since fine-tuned our wonderful, unique, story and feel that is ready for the professional to read such as you.

Janet is a produced playwright and optioned screenwriter. She is a former comedy writer. Janet currently works for ABC/Disney as a Media Manager for WABC-TV.

Chris worked for Sony Music and Epic Records as a radio promotions rep in Chicago, and also worked as an independent record promoter in LA. He was on-air radio talent for stations in Baltimore, Harrisburg and Milwaukee.

If you would like to read a little more about HARK AND HAROLD: THE CHRISTMAS MOVIE, we've attached a one-page synopsis. And if you'd like to read the script, we'll be happy to send you either a .pdf or printed copy. Please just let us know which you'd prefer. I'll even have it hand delivered by Hark and Harold themselves, in person, just say the word.

Cheers,
                      Janet Lawler & Chris Keller
                      [email protected]

Comment

my writing partner is the seasoned pro, many scripts under her belt, she's currently at disney/abc news in nyc...a great place for her to be for our family christmas script.
                        If she's a "seasoned pro" then why are you looking here for advice about a manager? Do you mean she's a seasoned amateur, i.e., written many scripts but is unsold?

Another question for you to consider - do you two plan on being permanent writing partners? Because a manager will only want to take you on if you're committed to writing together for some years. If this is the only script you're going to write together and then she's back to being a solo writer, you might be better off querying production companies directly and selling the script directly using an lawyer rather than reps.

Comment

Not to derail the OP, but I wonder if it's kosher to query managers/agents with a script and post it up on Black List? Thoughts?

Comment

Honestly, then she should probably be the one working her own contacts for reads and representation since she's got street cred.

The question of whether or not you're a permanent team though is an important one.
                            pendantaudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonov22 View Post
                              Not to derail the OP, but I wonder if it's kosher to query managers/agents with a script and post it up on Black List? Thoughts?
                              It's totally fine. It might be better to do Black List first before querying. Pay for a read and see what kind of feedback you get.
                              pendantaudio.com

Comment

Working...
                              X