No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Hi Franklin,

So far I like what I'm reading here but...

Let's say I write a raunchy comedy script. A Blacklist reader
    gives it a very high mark. At this point does Blacklist go
    proactive and send out email alerts to industry professionals who
    have professed an interest in raunchy comedies, or does Blacklist
    wait for the industry professionals to log in to the site and search around?
    PuppyTummy.com

Comment

Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

I have some practical questions:

- Is there a way for people to discover a script other than searching by name and author? It seems like you have to know exactly what you're looking for, and the rest is buried.
      - It says you need 3 reviews to complete your profile. Does that mean paying for three reads?
      - How can I raise awareness of a script I've posted? How can I get it rated?

Trying to understand it right now. It seems like a lot of money just for a listing.

Comment

Hi Franklin.

Adding to the list of questions - when a 'memeber' orders an evaluation for $50 what exactly does the member get in return? Can't find anything on your site that explains that. Is it just one score, period. Is it a scorecard? Is is it comments from the evaluator also?

And does the paid evaluator's score carry more weight that other 'members' who download the script (assume it can be other writers not necessarily pros) and can give a score with no explanation?

Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Writers can't download scripts, or rate anything.

Comment

Signed up early this morning (because I'm curious, and un repped). Three downloads so far, and 20 impressions (three would be by me). No ratings so far. Script's gone to reader, but no results from that yet. I tried to read a script, it wouldn't let me, so, looks like writers can't read the scripts there (unless they are also producers &/or agents &/or managers). Glad about that, I can get read by other writers for free, elsewhere.

Will post if and when things change for this script on this new site.

Comment

That sounds like a lot of views, what genre is your script?
              It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Does the writer have an option to make reader coverage visible on the script, but not the average rating of people who downloaded and/or rated it. Or do they go hand in hand?

How soon is a script affected by its rating, after the first one? Or does it wait until a few have been collected? I imagine a writer's script could end up falling off the face of the earth if its first rating was negative.

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                  That sounds like a lot of views, what genre is your script?
                  Don't want to give any info here, don't want to mess with my "experiment" to see how the new site works, on its own, without me trying to publicize my script on my own. I'm also not announcing on any social media sites that I have put a script up there.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGuffin View Post
                    Script's gone to reader, but no results from that yet.
                    So it doesn't get rated FIRST and then is put up for others to see? You're paying, but it won't have the reader rating paired with it until the reader gets done with their evaluation?

This is a flaw, as far as I'm concerned. Your script is free falling with no rating while the month you paid for is being eaten up.

Be better if the month you paid for only starts after the reader rating is given because a great rating would equal interest.

Comment

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

What confuses me is the rating system, from what I understand, people are recommended scripts based on how they've rated scripts in the past, and are sent ones like the ones they liked, and not sent ones like the ones they didn't like.

So the paid readers must be ticking content boxes of things about the scripts like writers do on inktip to create this complex system.

I would love the curtain to be pulled back a little so writers can see how this is done, it would be interesting, and possibly helpful to them.

I worry that this system is designed in a way that a industry professional would be rating scripts down or up based on how they meet their tastes rather than for the quality of the script. Note the subtle distinction.

Then again, I could just be very confused, which I think may be the case.

Comment

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Now that it's been running a few days, do you have any better feel for the turnaround time on paid evaluations for uploaded scripts? Thanks!
                        Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Originally posted by MacGuffin View Post
                          Don't want to give any info here, don't want to mess with my "experiment" to see how the new site works, on its own, without me trying to publicize my script on my own. I'm also not announcing on any social media sites that I have put a script up there.
                          I have done the same and am curious about other people's results. I posted a script with logline and paid for a single read. I am not repped

So far 7 impressions and 4 downloads. Haven't received a rating yet.

I am confused as to how people are even finding the script. Anyone else have results to share?

Comment

I have 7 impressions, 3 downloads, and 1 rating (not the paid evaluation, which I haven't received yet). (2-3 impressions and 1 download are mine).
                            Patrick Sweeney

Comment

To those who are doing this, do the downloads mean that someone is reading your scripts? Hopefully not just repped writers...

I think Franklin has abandoned us, and who could really blame him.
                              "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Cshel,

Franklin isn't "full time" on this BL3.0 thing. He's still a producer by day, so I'm sure it's tough to find time in his schedule to answer Q's here. He'll check in soon enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X