How To Package and Attach Actors to a Script??

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Package and Attach Actors to a Script??

I'm wondering how hard this is to do? I already have a cast list and a director in mind. I've had a couple of people tell me I can get funding for my script if it's already packaged. If it comes down to money, can I accomplish anything by guarantees through the back end of the film? Thanks for any help.

Re: How To Package and Attach Actors to a Script??

What's the budget and who would be the stars you're expecting to work for backend pay?
    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by growingpains View Post
      I'm wondering how hard this is to do? I already have a cast list and a director in mind. I've had a couple of people tell me I can get funding for my script if it's already packaged. If it comes down to money, can I accomplish anything by guarantees through the back end of the film? Thanks for any help.

go join filmspecific.com that's the site/forum for distribution and attachments. You'll get the answers you need there.

Comment

Here's an article from Script magazine that features actor Michael Shannon chatting about what he looks for when picking roles...It's all about the script!
        Last edited by Gillyflower Cooms; 12-26-2011, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
          What's the budget and who would be the stars you're expecting to work for backend pay?
          Budget is $1-4 million and the cast is mostly made up of former TV actors.

Comment

Budget is $1-4 million and the cast is mostly made up of former TV actors.
            So I'm assuming this is for straight to DVD distribution which still is a tough sell with no real "movie stars" in the plan at least on the B level. Have you or the people advising you (people telling you that you can raise money if actors are attached) ever raised $1-$4 million in film funding or any other venture? It's not going to be that easy in this climate, especially with a bunch of former TV stars who's movie value probably won't amount to much.

You may want to take Adam's advice and check out that website he mentioned. That's a common question that's been tackled several times before. It's a pay site, but if you're serious about going that route then it's pretty much the only game in town with solid specific distribution information from what I've seen. This website won't have the kind of answers you're looking for in that regard.
            One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
              So I'm assuming this is for straight to DVD distribution which still is a tough sell with no real "movie stars" in the plan at least on the B level. Have you or the people advising you (people telling you that you can raise money if actors are attached) ever raised $1-$4 million in film funding or any other venture? It's not going to be that easy in this climate, especially with a bunch of former TV stars who's movie value probably won't amount to much.

You may want to take Adam's advice and check out that website he mentioned. That's a common question that's been tackled several times before. It's a pay site, but if you're serious about going that route then it's pretty much the only game in town with solid specific distribution information from what I've seen. This website won't have the kind of answers you're looking for in that regard.

I went to Filmspecific.com, but it looked like their package deal for $2500 was for movies that were already made and seeking distribution. Am I wrong on this?

Comment

I went to Filmspecific.com, but it looked like their package deal for $2500 was for movies that were already made and seeking distribution. Am I wrong on this?
                $2,500 Package deal? I'm not sure what part of the site you went to but it sounds like you went to where ever she advertises her consulting packages for individuals? What you want access to is the distribution forum, where you can ask questions and other members can answer based on their experience as well as Stacey, the woman who runs the site and has experience as a sales agent. About 30% of the info on her site is free, the rest of it you need a paid monthly membership to have access to which I believe is $25 per month. She's got recorded interviews, downloadable interviews, Q&A sessions with people who've produced indie films, etc. You can also contact her directly and ask specific questions. Try that for a month and if you don't find what you need then cancel and continue your own research. Majority of the people on that site are focused on doing the same thing you're trying to do.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

You pay them.

Actors and directors are employees of producers - they are hired to be in a movie.

The other way it happens is through personal relationships - you are a friend of the actor or director and give them your screenplay.

But 99% of the time - you pay them.

- Bill
                  Free Script Tips:
                  http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                    You pay them.

Actors and directors are employees of producers - they are hired to be in a movie.

The other way it happens is through personal relationships - you are a friend of the actor or director and give them your screenplay.

But 99% of the time - you pay them.

- Bill
                    I disagree. Actors and directors are attached all the time without getting paid a dime. I've had many actors and directors attached to my projects, and not one of them was a friend.

They attached themselves because it had a part they wanted or they wanted to direct it, and they could get it before it went to anyone else. In return, their attachment helped sell the script, get funding, etc.

But to get the kind of talent that's actually meaningful (very little is), you need an agent, a manager or a producer. (And the producer comes through your agent or manager, most of the time.)

A writer trying to package an unrepped, unsold script is wasting his time, IMO. Keep writing scripts until you write one that lands a rep, then let him do his job.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                      To get the kind of talent that's actually meaningful (very little is), you need an agent, a manager or a producer. (And the producer comes through your agent or manager, most of the time.) A writer trying to package an unrepped, unsold script is wasting his time, IMO. Keep writing scripts until you write one that lands a rep, then let him do his job.
                      I think this is right.

Comment

Let us know when you're sure.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                          Let us know when you're sure.
                          Um ... I'm pretty sure that I was agreeing with you, Jeff ... so I'm a little confused by your response, if it was directed at me.

Comment

Now you're not even sure whether or not you were agreeing with me?

Less equivocation. Be bold! Agree or disagree!

Comment

Originally posted by Gillyflower Cooms View Post
                              Here's an article from Script magazine that features actor Michael Shannon chatting about what he looks for when picking roles...It's all about the script!

You forgot his "Take Shelter" co-star Kathy Baker. I loved her in "Article 99", "Sucker Free City", "Shades of Ray" and "The Jane Austen Book Club".
                              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Working...
                              X