Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does it take?

I sent out a bunch of queries for my comedy and got a bunch of requests in late July. Some people have passed but the "big boys" are still reading. I've had phone conversations with some of them and they say they love the script but wants partner or colleague to read. These are the people you want reading a comedy but how how long does this take? It's going on four months, has anyone else had dealings like this? I know these guys are busy but never figured it would take this long to get an answer.

Re: How long does it take?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by AJ_FIN; 06-08-2020, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Late July, like the 31st? I recon August 1st you'll know for sure

Comment

I've had producers who wanted to option my script get back to me in six weeks to two months. But honestly, if I havent heard back in one month to six weeks, I don't expect to hear anything. Not that it can't happen, I just throw my hopes in the slush pile and keep working on my new project.

Snowman

Comment

Originally posted by AJ_FIN View Post
          It's a pass. Move on. Never wait.
          Do not listen to idiots on done deal.

It may indeed be true that it's a pass. There is no way to know as we are not psychic.

I will even go as far as to say it probably is a pass.

But always follow-up. Don't stalk. Don't annoy them. Don't badger them. But do follow-up.

Comment

My follow ups usually involves them saying, "Oh send it again, I must have deleted it." or haven't had a chance to read yet as I've been so busy getting my current project off the ground, yada yada yada, or check back in a few months . . .

Move on, if they are interested they will let you know.

Snowman

Comment

Originally posted by fanatic_about_film View Post
              Do not listen to idiots on done deal. It may indeed be true that it's a pass. There is no way to know as we are not psychic. I will even go as far as to say it probably is a pass. But always follow-up. Don't stalk. Don't annoy them. Don't badger them. But do follow-up.
              What is it with you, Fanatic? Do you have to insult people in order to disagree with them? There's no reason for that.

Streaker did not expressly say that he hasn't already followed-up, in some fashion. If he hasn't, I agree that he should. Normally four months of silence means that it's probably a pass, but the fact that he's had phone conversations with some of these guys after querying them suggests an initial level of interest, which distinguishes this from the typical blow-off situation. So I'd at least circle back one more time before giving up.

Comment

If I've had phone calls from individuals or even several emails with them then I am more apt to drop them a line about the project. No harm in that.

Snowman

Comment

I've had phone conversations with these people and they have been very nice and seem interested in the script. The process is just taking forever.

Comment

Originally posted by fanatic_about_film View Post
                    Do not listen to idiots on done deal.

It may indeed be true that it's a pass. There is no way to know as we are not psychic.

I will even go as far as to say it probably is a pass.

But always follow-up. Don't stalk. Don't annoy them. Don't badger them. But do follow-up.
                    I'm sorry, but who are you to say that, even if you disagree with them?

You need to check that attitude. You have not accomplished a single thing to warrant it.

As someone who can weigh in, after 4 months, it's either a pass, or they have not read. And if they have not read it in 4 months, it was not loved enough to warrant pushing for the read from the higher ups. Either way, stop waiting, like Aspriant said.

Best,

Michael
                    twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
                      You have not accomplished a single thing to warrant it.
                      You must have been on vacation when managers far and wide were competing for him and producers were making preemptive offers.

Comment

The script has been read but passed to partners and higher up the food chain.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker12345 View Post
                          The script has been read but passed to partners and higher up the food chain.

Good luck!
                          "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by streaker12345 View Post
                            I sent out a bunch of queries for my comedy and got a bunch of requests in late July. Some people have passed but the "big boys" are still reading. I've had phone conversations with some of them and they say they love the script but wants partner or colleague to read. These are the people you want reading a comedy but how how long does this take? It's going on four months, has anyone else had dealings like this? I know these guys are busy but never figured it would take this long to get an answer.
                            This happens a lot, you'll get someone lower down or at the middle of the food chain and they like something enough to pass it up. And then maybe it gets passed up one more time, and it sits with the top of the food chain. And, the people lower down do like it, but they don't like it enough to irritate their boss by constantly begging them to read it. If there's no external pressure that they can use to convince their boss to read it, i.e., it's out to other companies, there's some sort of interest elsewhere, then it can sit there without being read for quite a while. Typically, it eventually it becomes a pass by default. Or, the boss reads it and likes it.

Comment

Please hold off on the personal attacks on people. We don't need to see comments of that nature. Help out with the topic or if you can't then hold off on saying anything.
                              Will
                              Done Deal Pro
                              www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Working...
                              X