When A Major Agent Tells You To Stop Emailing...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When A Major Agent Tells You To Stop Emailing...

I'm hip pocketed with my agent. He's submitted my work to various production companies who have shown interest in my work.

He tells me he'll update as things progress. However, every so often, about twice a month I'll email and he'll have an update (why didn't he contact me with the update?).

Anyway, I tried to get some feedback from him only to get an email stating:

"i think that is enough emails for awhile unless i have something else to report.."

He's made it clear he doesn't want to be contacted unless there's something to say. I find this insulting and unprofessional. If he treats me like this, I can only imagine what he'll be like further down the road.

I'm dropping him like a sack of potatoes. Am I overreacting? Or do you expect as a writer a 2 way street of respect?

Rich
    sigpicWriting is re-writing

Re: When A Major Agent Tells You To Stop Emailing...

Sounds like he's no longer interested in being your agent.

Get rid of him -- you don't need him.

Comment

Agreed

Comment

Disagree. Why should he be emailing you if there's nothing to report? To find out how your day was?

As for insulting and unprofessional, I wouldn't get bent out of shape. Email is an imprecise way to communicate. Absent tone of voice, it's easy to misinterpret. What to you was a snide comment may be just an offhand comment.

I know it feels like a dis, but as a low writer on my rep's totem pole, I get this kind of treatment a lot.

Write him another killer script he can show around. Give him a reason to email you.
        ==========

Comment

Your reps work for you. It should really be sort of a partnership, but when it comes down to it they are working for you. They make money when you make money, so they should be interactive and reliable and there should be a mutual respect. To ignore you most of the time and then gripe at you when you rarely contact him is absurd.

Drop him before he can drop you. He's clearly losing and/or already lost interest, so sever the relationship while you still have your dignity. Last thing you want is it getting around that you were an "annoying client who got dropped by a top agent".

Comment

Originally posted by pickerman123 View Post
            If he treats me like this, I can only imagine what he'll be like further down the road.
            He treats you like this (and again, his response doesn't seem out of line to me) because you're a newbie writer, not a full client, and with no white-hot spec that everyone is clamoring to read. He's a major agent, right? So he has dozens of clients, clients who make him money, that he's handling.

I'm speaking from experience. I haven't spoken to or emailed my manager since August. My agent I haven't talked to in 11 months.

Sometimes there really isn't anything to report.

they should be interactive and reliable and there should be a mutual respect. To ignore you most of the time and then gripe at you when you rarely contact him is absurd.
            With all due respect, have you ever worked with a major agent?
            ==========

Comment

A rep who never calls you is not your rep.
              Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by Hasil Adkins View Post
                I'm speaking from experience. I haven't spoken to or emailed my manager since August. My agent I haven't talked to in 11 months.
                Wow. 11 months. Sounds harsh.

I can't remember now who on this site was obseesed with giving cards or gifts to their reps during the holidays, but I take it that you will not be obligated to sending them a xmas/holiday card, let alone any gift cards.

On the bright side, no worries about those pesky gifts.
                Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

Let me put it this way -

in your world, you're the only one who matters.

In HIS world you're just another writer.

Ask an agent how many scripts they have on the table, how many they turn down and how many ********s keep on emailing them over and over without submitting new work with the email or simply put yourself in your agents shoes.

If you wanted an agent with a huge reputable agency you have to respect you're not the bees knees there and if you went with a smaller agency, expect 1-6years for your script to sell if at all.
                  Some people here may know better than I do, but I don't think I'm talking bullshit. At least as an actor I've heard things from the horses mouth and I've gotta tell you not only are agents struggling but many writers write for free right now. So... either switch agents or be patient.
                  Get a hobby, knitting is fun!

Comment

With all due respect, have you ever worked with a major agent?
                    I worked at William Morris for 12 years.

If we didn't talk to you for 11 months, you weren't a client.

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by jcgary View Post
                        I worked at William Morris for 12 years.

If we didn't talk to you for 11 months, you weren't a client.
                        Exactly. Thank you.

Comment

Disagree. Why should he be emailing you if there's nothing to report? To find out how your day was?

As for insulting and unprofessional, I wouldn't get bent out of shape. Email is an imprecise way to communicate. Absent tone of voice, it's easy to misinterpret. What to you was a snide comment may be just an offhand comment.

I know it feels like a dis, but as a low writer on my rep's totem pole, I get this kind of treatment a lot.

Write him another killer script he can show around. Give him a reason to email you.
                          Pickerman just stated that, when he emails the agent the dude DOES have updates. So what the hell is his problem? I say drop the guy.

Comment

I have a mixed reaction to this. It almost feels like some information has been left out of the story. On the face of it, the agent's somewhat dickish attitude doesn't seem all that different from what you'd expect from a big agency, when you're the low man on the totem pole. And maybe he really doesn't have anything to report. But, that said, the tone of his comment about wanting you to lay off the emails is unprofessional and uncalled for. This isn't a perfect analogy, but when I was practicing at my law firm, I sometimes had clients who would relentlessly pester me for updates on their cases, even when nothing was happening (or, perhaps more accurately, because nothing was happening -- though usually through no fault of my own). This was annoying, to be sure; but I would never dream of sending a snippy reply like the one your agent sent to you. If I did, I'd expect to be fired -- and I'd hear it from the Partner.

It sounds like this relationship is coming to an end. I'd say maybe give him a call and make one last attempt to get back on track, and then if he doesn't respond favorably, move on.

Comment

Hasil: Based on my experience and the experiences of other writers I know, I agree totally with JC. You don't actually have an agent, or manager. The only real measure of those relationships -- except the cash register ringing for all concerned, which is far too rare for most writers and agents and managers -- is regular communication, motivation and encouragement.
                              I'm repped by a well known and very respected agent and I get a call at least once a month: "When can I expect your next script? What else are you working on? When will THAT be ready?" I also get regular e-mails: "Were you aware of this or that? Would you be interested in the XYZ OWA?" Etc.
                              You're out in the cold, dude... one way or the other.

Comment

Working...
                              X