• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2 Cents

Something nice came my way? You're on to something Momp

Comment

Did the 78 StoryTellers before you survive?

Comment

Has anyone ever worn chaps to a pitch meeting? They're quite comfortable and provide a nice breeze on those hot days.

Comment

I hope! I actually have a serious question for you, so I will email you, regarding Escape & Hollywood Lit and an email I got from Lindsey Fox.

Comment

Forrest Gump didn't dress like a bum.

Comment

Has anyone tried selling like "braveheart 2" dressed in kilt and sporran and sheepskin boots?

Comment

Lord Thunderin' Jaysus...

What a lot of silliness.

It doesn't matter what you wear, as long as you leave them with, "That guy looked great."

(Put another way, I don't want people to notice my clothes, I want them to notice me.)

Why anyone would go out of their way to look like crap in a business environment amazes me.

If you have the gig, then by all means show up on a skateboard with a backwards baseball cap and you'll wow them, but if you're selling, attention to your clothes shows respect for the buyer.

Oh yeah, polish your shoes and you'll get better tables at restaurants.

Momp... you just made me laugh out loud with your reponse to ST. That now puts you on par with Joseph Heller and Jerome K. Jerome.

My fashionably-raked-to-one-side hat off to you, Sir.

dd

"Say Violet, that's some dress."
                "This old thing? Why I just wear this when I don't care how I look."

Comment

dclary is on to something I think. Dress the part!

Comment

Re: Lord Thunderin' Jaysus...

Hollywood culture is a great deal less formal than other business cultures. When I first started out, I tended to 'dress up' for meetings (although I never wore a tie). My agent and several fellow writers told me to stop dressing like a producer (thus my comment above about suits). Impressions are very important -- but -- you're a writer. You have a little more leeway than most. Your mind is supposed to be on the script, not on looking like you walked out of the pages of GQ (Details is another story). A great script, or a great take on a problem script is going to make a far greater impression than whatever it is you're wearing...as long as you don't smell funny. And no one...myself included...EVER suggested that you dress like a bum.

Comme des Garcons shirt from Maxfield - $350
                    Sneakers by Marc Jacobs from Barneys New York - $200
                    Diesel jeans at Fred Segal - $150
                    Getting the Assignment - Priceless.

Comment

Good thing I'd never wear a shirt from Maxfield or Jeans from Diesel, the shoes however, are tempting.

Comment

It's beyond me how anyone could ever wear jeans that cost more than 50 bucks. It's like paying for a double wide trailer. It's still a friggin' trailer.

Comment

Amen...but if it makes the person feel important, they have the right to waste big bucks on Cow ass!

Comment

Well, they're going to have to take me as they find me. I wish I could afford new clothes, but I can't. So the options become- my hiking boots or my cowboy boots, the least worn pair of jeans, and umm... I'll wear a sweater. Yeah. No I won't, it's LA. Oh, hell.

Comment

dignan,

those chaps - are they of the buttless variety?

Comment

All chaps are of the buttless variety- unless they're English.

Comment

Working...
                                X