Finding an agent to submit to Amazon Studios Inc (WGA signatory) tho I'm not WGA?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding an agent to submit to Amazon Studios Inc (WGA signatory) tho I'm not WGA?

Hi, I'd like to submit a sitcom to Amazon Studios Inc., their WGA signatory, but I am not a member of the WGA (and do not yet even have an agent).

The sitcom I'd like to submit involves characters working at a company similar to Blue Origin, Jeff Bezos' private rocket company (seriously), with which there could be many synergies. Also AS has made smart moves lately - such as purchasing professional first-rate series directly from agents - and, AS employees seem cool, ambitious, and tech literate...so my preference if other things were equal would be to go with AS. I _believe_ in AS (think Netflix with House of Cards or HBO with Boardwalk but even more ambitious, with deeper pockets, and more technical expertise...a series streaming on Amazon Prime could be extraordinarily successful. An extra rocket company is icing ; )

Assuming the script and bible are professional enough to attract an agent, could he or she make a simple phone call to submit work of a non-WGA member to AS Inc for marginally better terms than their standard "click to upload" contract?

Specifically I am interested in maintaing enough credit to become a member of the WGA and to retain a degree of involvement with writing the show - rather than residuals or upfront payments. (This particular theme is important to me personally, so, my interest is less financial than - sounds corny, but - ensuring scientific and technical accuracy.) If the series were to take off I would like contractual assurance I could be involved to some degree with future episodes. Not as showrunner, just a writer. Is this conceivable?

Is this a pathetic common amateurish expectation? (I honestly think even a cursory glance at a url with previz material would lead an agent (and AS) to think the show at least worth terms approximating the low-end of those they offer established WGA writers (on a track separate from their normal public submissions).

Or should the sitcom be set at a generic rocket company and be pitched to every studio possible??

Thanks
    @oceanbluesky

Re: Finding an agent to submit to Amazon Studios Inc (WGA signatory) tho I'm not WGA?

Originally posted by oceanbluesky View Post
    Is this a pathetic common amateurish expectation?

Yup...in answer to your initial question, hire an entertainment lawyer to submit the script for you.

Comment

Re: Finding an agent to submit to Amazon Studios Inc (WGA signatory) tho I'm not WGA?

...thanks (LOL so embarrassed to have posted this gigantic naive question after coming home at 3 am, jeez : )
      @oceanbluesky

Comment

Why not submit via the AS website? It's a lot less hassle if you don't already have a rep.
        "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Lauri: as has been discussed ad infinitum, Amazon's non-sig division has horrific terms.

OP: if the material is good enough for Amazon to want to make, it's good enough to attract a rep who will try to sell it multiple places. I'd start querying managers and agents with it.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanbluesky View Post
            ...thanks (LOL so embarrassed to have posted this gigantic naive question after coming home at 3 am, jeez : )
            It was a very well written 3 a.m post. I imagine your query letters will be as good or better if you write them after a good night's sleep (if not, you might want to stick to that 3 a.m. time slot).

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
              Lauri: as has been discussed ad infinitum, Amazon's non-sig division has horrific terms.
              Aren't the terms better now (45 day free option and then rights revert to writer if they don't exercise option)?

Comment

Selling a screenplay as a non union member versus selling a screenplay as a union member could, in success, be an easy seven figure difference. Residuals, health and pension, separated rights, remake rights, credit protections...

For a successful TV show, multiply all of that by ten.

Comment

Jeff, curious, is the Amazon situation, set-up, whatever we want to call it, beginning to nibble away at the edges of all of the hard work that writers/WGA have put in over the decades to get protection, legit protection for the working writer.

Or is it too early to tell?
                  Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

just to clarify: at the moment it seems like you reach a crossroads, and if you go left you reach the WGA/HW, or right and it's Amazon.

But those are distinct and separate routes, yes, but in the longer term, what's the potential for some kind of overlap, which might eventually dilute the WGA'S authority and therefore... well, you know, all that follows!
                    Last edited by The Road Warrior; 02-22-2013, 12:31 PM. Reason: typo
                    Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

There've always been non union producers/studios. It's too bad Amazon is one, but it's nothing new.

(Their signatory division is set up to work with writers who are already in the WGA.)

Comment

I don't think Amazon Studios is undermining the WGA at all. All it's doing is providing a way for newcomers to get their first break in the Industry.

The overwhelming majority of all the projects they currently have in active development are all WGA. They don't seem to be doing much with the non-WGA stuff. But regardless, their involvement with these non-union projects has nonetheless been a huge boost to the writers involved.

AS is becoming more and more like a regular Hollywood studio which is probably for the best. But I hope it doesn't completely abandon its non-union submission option, because even though not much has come from it, it's still the only serious production company in the world to have an open submission policy, and it doesn't charge writers a dime.

And in response to the OP, I'm in a similar situation myself. I'm just finishing up a rewrite on a new spec, which I plan to send to Amazon's union division for consideration. But to do this, I first need to sign with a reputable agent. So my plan will be to query agencies, managers, prodcos and studios. This will hopefully lead to me signing with a rep. Who will then hopefully market my spec. And send it to Amazon Studios in addition to other prodcos.

This has been my plan ever since AS announced that they formed a WGA signatory division.

Hope this helps. And best of luck!

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                          There've always been non union producers/studios. It's too bad Amazon is one, but it's nothing new.

(Their signatory division is set up to work with writers who are already in the WGA.)
                          Ahh, makes more sense, I was unaware of the information in the brackets.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dragan Milin View Post
                            I don't think Amazon Studios is undermining the WGA at all. All it's doing is providing a way for newcomers to get their first break in the Industry.

The overwhelming majority of all the projects they currently have in active development are all WGA. They don't seem to be doing much with the non-WGA stuff. But regardless, their involvement with these non-union projects has nonetheless been a huge boost to the writers involved.

AS is becoming more and more like a regular Hollywood studio which is probably for the best. But I hope it doesn't completely abandon its non-union submission option, because even though not much has come from it, it's still the only serious production company in the world to have an open submission policy, and it doesn't charge writers a dime.

And in response to the OP, I'm in a similar situation myself. I'm just finishing up a rewrite on a new spec, which I plan to send to Amazon's union division for consideration. But to do this, I first need to sign with a reputable agent. So my plan will be to query agencies, managers, prodcos and studios. This will hopefully lead to me signing with a rep. Who will then hopefully market my spec. And send it to Amazon Studios in addition to other prodcos.

This has been my plan ever since AS announced that they formed a WGA signatory division.

Hope this helps. And best of luck!

Gary
                            I kind of see what you're saying, it's a studio, and you can submit, but let's say a strong script is sent to a Manager, isn't that but a short step away from multiple studios?

You mentioned the 'doesn't charge a dime' aspect, are you thinking here of competitions rather than the querying Managers way in?

My understanding is that script submissions, by way of query, are always free?

Comment

I uploaded a script to their site.They optioned it, and I was invited to join the WGA as an associate member.

Comment

Working...
                              X