Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "Cloverfield"

Saw the movie yesterday. Loved it. Sure there were some logic holes but I thought they didn't take away from the movie.
    R.K. Bentley
    My Blog, My Design Studio
    "Little hand says it's time to rock an' roll." - Hot Fuzz.

Comment

Originally posted by RKBentley View Post
      Saw the movie yesterday. Loved it.

Why did you flat-out love it instead of just liking it? What made it that good to you?

Comment

Some people just enjoy a good monster movie.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post
          Why did you flat-out love it instead of just liking it? What made it that good to you?
          Because it was a movie that made me feel happy I was going back to my boring @$$ed life. Like the "happy ending" in Blade Runner or Shell Beach in Dark City, you just sat through 2hrs of dark, neon and the rain and what do we have to show for it?

It had no happy ending, it just ended and the monster was cool. Nothing was explained which was fine. The rats running away perfect. The friend getting bitten was perfect. Tippet Studios comes through with a cool monster. The protogs weren't that annoying to me.

The fact the almost everyone except the african american character died was a welcome relief. At least, I'm assuming her helicopter wasn't the one that was downed while the hero's took off...

Granted there is no way you can evac that many people from Manhattan in a 12 hour timeframe. I willing to ignore that.

It's what War of Worlds should have been.
          R.K. Bentley
          My Blog, My Design Studio
          "Little hand says it's time to rock an' roll." - Hot Fuzz.

Comment

Originally posted by RKBentley View Post
            The rats running away perfect.

That just instantly reminded me of "28 Days Later" but I'm sure it's been done in other films that I'm not thinking of as well.

Comment

Of course it's been done before. They were in a tunnel. What did you want swarming in front of the critters... puppies?

But then, it might have been more fun if they were slogging through the sewer and all of the sudden little alligators started swarming by...
              "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                But then, it might have been more fun if they were slogging through the sewer and all of the sudden little alligators started swarming by...
                That's been done, too. See my avatar.

Comment

That's why I said little alligators...
                  "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Some words from Tippett on their special effects work.

Comment

Spoiler, I guess.

Did anyone else think the monster looked like the top half of the Creature from the Black Lagoon? After hitting the gym for some good upper body?

Or was it just the seeds in my bag?

Comment

Finally saw it, it was quite entertaining in parts, the hand held camera work, however, was majorly annoying, though the tenuous hold on reality it provided was also the film's main strength. Subtract that and you ain't got much.

On the whole though, it all felt a bit predictable (right down to the grim 'it's still alive' ending - I mean c'mon).

I also am not too comfortable with the way the film exploits 9/11 footage for its impact, it just strikes me as a tad opportunistic.

Still, could have been worse, just a shame it's so vapid, cos some of the scenes were quite visceral.
                        Last edited by Captain Jack Sparrow; 02-05-2008, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X