Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Greatest Showman

Anyone seen this one yet? If so, what are your thoughts?

I am gonna see it probably in a few days.

Re: The Greatest Showman

Originally posted by Darthclaw13 View Post
    Anyone seen this one yet? If so, what are your thoughts?

I am gonna see it probably in a few days.
    I enjoyed it. The diversity message was a little heavy handed and on the nose, but still a good message. The crowd's reaction was a lot stronger though. I heard a couple of girls cry. And one skipped out after the movie and went "I love it! I love it! I want to buy this on dvd and see it a hundred times!" Her dad said "I thought you didn't want to want this." And she said that she changed her mind. Of course, she was like a teen. The dancing was impressive, especially Zendeya's trapeze acts. And I liked the ambitions PT Barnum trying to make something of himself storyline. None of these are spoilers because they are all in the trailer.

Comment

Okey doke, I have seen this now 4 times (yes I am a sucker for a good musical).

Honestly I love it! Although it is not historically accurate, there were many continuity errors, some of the dialog is oddball, and the cgi is terrible, I still love it.

The songs are very good and gave me the goosebumps. The choreography is amazing, especially the bar scene with Hugh Jackman and Zac Efron (plus a single bartender with an awesome handlebar 'stache who holds his own).

The entire cast does well and the singing is on key.

The story itself is family friendly and uplifting to the point where everything turns out alright for everyone despite the trials they have to all go thru. (sorry if that spoiled it for anyone, but you kinda get that from the trailer anyway.)

If you are looking for something accurate to history, or even the best screenplay then don't see it. But if you want to have fun and leave the theater with a good feeling in your heart then this one is for you.

Not sure how it will translate to the small screen so I highly recommend if you want to see it definitely see it on the big screen where these types of huge productions belong.

Looking forward to the sing a long version that should hit my theater in a couple weeks. I shall be there singing my heart out!

Comment

Okey doke, I have seen this now 4 times (yes I am a sucker for a good musical).

Honestly I love it! Although it is not historically accurate, there were many continuity errors, some of the dialog is oddball, and the cgi is terrible, I still love it.

The songs are very good and gave me the goosebumps. The choreography is amazing, especially the bar scene with Hugh Jackman and Zac Efron (plus a single bartender with an awesome handlebar 'stache who holds his own).

The entire cast does well and the singing is on key.

The story itself is family friendly and uplifting to the point where everything turns out alright for everyone despite the trials they have to all go thru. (sorry if that spoiled it for anyone, but you kinda get that from the trailer anyway.)

If you are looking for something accurate to history, or even the best screenplay then don't see it. But if you want to have fun and leave the theater with a good feeling in your heart then this one is for you.

Not sure how it will translate to the small screen so I highly recommend if you want to see it definitely see it on the big screen where these types of huge productions belong.

Looking forward to the sing a long version that should hit my theater in a couple weeks. I shall be there singing my heart out!

Totally with you on this, Darthclaw. The only difference is I'm not a sucker for musicals, and almost didn't see it because it was a musical. Don't know how it's doing at the box office outside the US, but it seemed like a film with a more universally understood message than most (if superhero films/tentpoles can travel around the world, why can't music?)

Anyhow, I'd give it a fun thumbs up, though like you I'm slightly concerned about a historical figure not being painted very accurately. Lastly, the trapeze/dance /choreography scene at the big top with Zendeya and Efron was shockingly good, and more than once I was asking myself "how did they DO that?" both in terms of the cinematography and the actual physical movements.

Comment

Saw this Wednesday with my best friend and she loved it. More than likely P.T. Barnum would have thought it great as well, seeing his name used so liberally and as the hero. He was an entrepreneurial showman, after all.

By movie's end, however, I felt as though if so many liberties were taken with P.T. Barnum's life story, then perhaps it would have been just as well to invent a character to fit the musical's needs all the more.

A decidedly non-musical fact about Barnum:

In his early days, the actual P.T. Barnum leased Joice Heth from a friend. Heth was an elderly slave woman, and Barnum touted her as George Washington's nurse and the oldest living human being, claiming her age to be 161. Despite feebleness in her true old age, Barnum worked her many hours of the day. When she died, he charged admission to her autopsy held in a New York bar. There he “proved” her age to be about half of what he claimed when she was alive.

Such facts are better left for documentaries to explore, while the musical puts on the best of faces of its main character, and —given the above tidbit — rightly so.

Stellar performances by everyone in the cast, fantastic choreography, and a perfect pace, pitch, and rhythm to the movie made its story move along with never a dull moment. If you love a great musical and enjoy performances by the multi-talented Hugh Jackman, this movie is a winner.
          Last edited by Clint Hill; 01-18-2018, 03:55 AM.
          “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Hi all
            So hubby and I went to the sing a long version of Greatest Showman. (They put the words to the songs at the bottom of the screen so you can sing along) It was a lot of fun. Even better, we were the only ones in the theater.

We went on a weekday during the day because we both were having the worst day ever (you know those days, where everything sucks, everything you work on messes up, and life is just getting you down) and we wanted to cheer ourselves up. What better way than doing something fun and silly. And it certainly did the trick.

We belted out all the songs and didn't care who heard (the theater staff who come in to check the theater periodically didn't even concern us). It was nice to just sing out and gain that extra oxygen from using our lungs in ways we don't normally do. Lifted our spirits and when we left we were in great moods and the rest of our day was brilliant.

So if you are having a bad day or are in a down mood, try this if it is at your local theater. And don't worry who hears you, just have fun!!

Comment

So if you are having a bad day or are in a down mood, try this if it is at your local theater. And don't worry who hears you, just have fun!!
              We'll give it a go. Thanks!
              Last edited by Clint Hill; 01-18-2018, 03:52 AM.

Comment

I'm planning to see this Tuesday. I've been listening to "This Is Me" nonstop and I cry every time. So I guess I need to bring tissues!

Late Night Writer

Comment

Originally posted by LateNightWriter View Post
                  I'm planning to see this Tuesday. I've been listening to "This Is Me" nonstop and I cry every time. So I guess I need to bring tissues!

Late Night Writer
                  You won't regret seeing it, that's for certain. As for the waterworks, well, you won't need too many tissues, thank goodness.

Comment

I really enjoyed this film - despite the historical inaccuracies (Barnum was more noted for exploiting "freaks- than celebrating them) and my cringing every time those poor elephants and lions were trotted out (Barnum's circus was guilty of some of the worst animal abuses in history). I know this sounds like damning with faint praise but it's not. The music was excellent, as was the message of diversity and inclusion. I was impressed by the performances, especially Zendaya, who was unexpectedly touching. I also have respect for Jackman. He brought his passion project to the screen and that's not an easy thing to do.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Working...
                    X