Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Austin Film Festival 2011

One thing that struck me is how competitive Austin was this year. By my count (and, yes, for some reason, I did count), not including the Dark Hero and Latitude Award finalists, but including TV, from the 5,800 original entries reported by Austin, there were 591 Second Rounders (10.2%) and only 65 Semifinalists (1.1%). So, in my opinion, there's no reason for any Second Rounder to hang their head!

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
      Anyone else get a nice P.S. on their second round letter? Didn't get one last year with my second round letter so it was surprising. Nice, but surprising.

HH
      I believe every Second Rounder got some kind of a "P.S." on their letter. I think that's new this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Aspirant View Post
        I believe every Second Rounder got some kind of a "P.S." on their letter. I think that's new this year.
        And they all said the same thing.

HH

Comment

So, in my opinion, there's no reason for any Second Rounder to hang their head!
          Unless you had been a Second Rounder last year and hoped to progress to the next level with this year's submissions.

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
            And they all said the same thing.

HH
            I hope they didn't all say the same thing. Maybe close to it, but my P.S. included that my and my partner's pilot was very close to the semis, so it would be very disingenuous to tell everyone that.

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferLA View Post
              I hope they didn't all say the same thing. Maybe close to it, but my P.S. included that my and my partner's pilot was very close to the semis, so it would be very disingenuous to tell everyone that.
              Mine just said "P.S. Keep writing. Enjoyed the story!"

Which is more than I could say for it when I mailed it in.

Comment

That's not a new thing. I second-rounded two years ago and received a PS on the letter, which was clearly singular to my script.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                  Unless you had been a Second Rounder last year and hoped to progress to the next level with this year's submissions.
                  Even still, you know you can't assume any kind of "natural" progression in these contests. I had a Second Round romantic comedy in 2010 that failed to make the Second Round (let alone the Semis) in 2011, and I had a sci-fi action-thriller that failed to advance at all in 2010 make the Second Round in 2011. Good scripts generally do well in good contests, but there are just too many variables to count on any particular result.

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferLA View Post
                    I'm sure they didn't all say the exact same thing. Yours is the best one I've heard so far -- you definitely should feel good about it!

Comment

Originally posted by callingit View Post
                      That's not a new thing. I second-rounded two years ago and received a PS on the letter, which was clearly singular to my script.
                      Well, it definitely seems more widespread this year, at least.

Comment

Ya. I got a PS on my letter too for second rounder in TV Original Pilot. Said "Enjoyed the writing, great story and well developed characters..!"

I also got a call (like a zillion other Second Rounders) inviting me to special "Second Rounder Round Table(s) with industry execs"

Like someone else posted, this nice woman on the line (Cathy) from AFF said that Austin is really trying to promote all second rounders and telling industry professionals that these folks were in the top 5-10% of all entries submitted. They were really nice and didn't "sell me too hard" on AFF just wanted to offer up any explanations or info on the fest if I had any. Of course this is a business. AFF doesn't do it for "fun" - they do it to promote Austin and get butts in seats and badges sold. But, they have a great reputation and calling people and PS'ing people is a nice touch. I mean c'mon - all the industry peeps plus cool cats like Shane Black every year, and what about Michael Ardnt's amazing 3rd Act Presentation last year...? That's way cool.

Again, like many have said, contests are subjective and you could win one and place lower in another.

Any other second rounders or semi-finalists who have gone in the past find that it was helpful to you or your career?

Comment

hmm... i know i made the 2nd round from checking the website and seeing my name and the name of my script, but i have yet to receive any letter or phone call. anyone else with the same issue?

Comment

Originally posted by thedanielstation View Post
                            hmm... i know i made the 2nd round from checking the website and seeing my name and the name of my script, but i have yet to receive any letter or phone call. anyone else with the same issue?
                            I only received my call yesterday afternoon, so they're probably still working through people. If you don't get it and are interested in the Second Rounder discount, we can give you Cathy's number.

Comment

Ya - you can always call and ask. But, I'd be patient. If they're calling 5-10% of 5800 people - that's a LOT of calls to make.

Also - anybody else confused by their logic of second round vs. semis vs. finalists? I just find it weird that there are only a handful of semis in each category. That's a huge jump. Over the phone it made it sound like Second Rounders this year were like semis last year... I am confused but still happy to get in the top 5%

Comment

Originally posted by writenowdude View Post
                                Ya - you can always call and ask. But, I'd be patient. If they're calling 5-10% of 5800 people - that's a LOT of calls to make.

Also - anybody else confused by their logic of second round vs. semis vs. finalists? I just find it weird that there are only a handful of semis in each category. That's a huge jump. Over the phone it made it sound like Second Rounders this year were like semis last year... I am confused but still happy to get in the top 5%
                                It is a big jump, but it's the same basic setup as last year. Even though there were a lot more entrants in 2011, the percentages of those advancing to the Second Round (approximately top 10%) and to the Semifinals (approximately top 1%) are the same. If you're a Second Rounder, you're in the top 10%.

Comment

Working...
                                X