Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's holding you back?

For me, I need the discipline to set aside the time to write/develop something. Procrastination is also a killer. Self accountability matters as well. I'm trying to get something together hopefully in time for Nichol.

Also, ACT 2. Act 2 is where scripts go to die. It's a struggle coming up with a throughline that has an active protagonist, motivated Villain, a series of ascending obstacles, and no story holes. You can't come up with all that in preparation stages. You need to write through the same scene, same conversation many times. Each time becoming more clear how this exact scene should play out and what role it plays in overall scope.

Most writers need a manager. Someone to pow wow ideas with, hold development meetings with, hold them accountable on time lines, then read the script and offer feedback for a rewrite.

The problem is managers don't need most writers.

Comment

Re: What's holding you back?

I don't really struggle with that. I used to, but when I get stuck, I think, "What's the worst thing that could happen to my protagonist right now?" I end up with too many ideas, too many tangents, and then I have to pull back, reign in. I usually meditate on it, close my eyes and visualize myself there and try out different situations in my head until that one clicks.
      I'm good with filling in plot holes and making sure everything works together. I hate movies where I start thinking, "That would never happen." So, I try to avoid that when I write.

I feel like maybe you just need a partner, someone to bounce ideas off of. Some people work better with others. You could bounce ideas off of me, if you want to. I used to have trouble staying motivated, and I had a friend who made me write something every day and email it to him, no matter what it was, an idea, a few pages, an outline. I'd do that for you, if you need it.

Comment

Working...
      X