Guilty pleasures - Movies you know suck, but can't get enough of!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guilty pleasures - Movies you know suck, but can't get enough of!

Jack and Jill. i actually bought the dvd.

PS Freddy Got Fingered rules!

Comment

Alex Cross. First time I saw it was at a $1 theater, and I wanted my money back, but for some reason, I find myself sticking around whenever I come across it flipping channels. There's something about the combination of the "phoned in" style of storytelling and watching Tyler Perry actually try to carry a movie in a serious role entertains me.
      "No man gives me a crown. I pay the iron price... I will take my crown." -- Balon Greyjoy

Comment

RAW DEAL.

The government gave Schwarzenegger a Raw Deal. No one gives Schwarzenegger a raw deal. RA-TATATATATAT!!!

I've been looking for the script for ages. If anyone knows where to buy it, please write me a message (apparently the thread I started was deleted?).

The movie is extremely trashy and campy, but it has so many good parts, especially a strong desire line and a charismatic lead, that you are just drawn in.

Comment

The first 3 mentioned here I don't think are bad.

Starship Troopers as mentioned is satire and hits the mark that it was trying to excellently.

Waterworld may not be great, but its not a bad film per se. The cost and the negative press during filming build it into this mythical failure, but it's a decent film, basically Mad Max II with water.

Armageddon again I think hits the exact mark it was trying to and a great example of how to just make a popcorn action pic that doesn't take itself too seriously and has action with some humor.

Comment

Originally posted by Bairn_Writer View Post
            The first 3 mentioned here I don't think are bad.

Starship Troopers as mentioned is satire and hits the mark that it was trying to excellently.

Waterworld may not be great, but its not a bad film per se. The cost and the negative press during filming build it into this mythical failure, but it's a decent film, basically Mad Max II with water.

Armageddon again I think hits the exact mark it was trying to and a great example of how to just make a popcorn action pic that doesn't take itself too seriously and has action with some humor.
            Totally agree about Starship Troopers, perfect satire. I guess we need films which don't mean to be rubbish but take themselves seriously but are so bad they are awesome! It's actually an unintentional niche.

Comment

I love unintentionally horrible movies. You should check out THE BEST WORST MOVIE, which is a documentary about how TROLL 2 became a cult classic due entirely to its reputation for being terrible. It's great.

But I decided I'd get away from the ones I love because they're bad in favor of the ones I genuinely like even though I know people think they're bad. Off the top of my head:

SHE'S ALL THAT (teenage me just owes it far too much)
              ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES
              BLOODSPORT
              FOOTLOOSE (which I genuinely think is awesome, but apparently other people don't agree???)
              ROCKY V (also all the other Rockys, but I understand this is the sucky one)

Comment

These are not movies I'd put in the category of sucking, but these are cheesy movies I love:

Streets of Fire

Beastmaster
                Eddie and the Cruisers

These are movies that are GOOD that I still have guilty pleasure over:
                Thirteen Going on Thirty
                The Craft
                Somewhere in Time
                The Waterhorse
                The Lost Boys

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
                  Beastmaster
                  This was going to be my pick too. I saw this in the movie theater as a kid and fell in love with it. I still watch it whenever it's on. So bad, and sooo good.

Comment

All of the early Sean Connery James Bond movies, but especially "You Only Live Twice" -- a movie that I must have seen twenty times. It is the absolute perfection of sixties misogyny, racism and sheer goofiness.

I saw this in the theater in 1967, when I was only seven years old and the opening, when a mercury space capsule was swallowed up by another space ship, cutting a space-walking astronaut loose to die in orbit, scared the living hell out of me -- and I was totally blown away by the secret Spectre base hidden underneath the giant fake lake inside the extinct volcano.

It was all just great. And why shouldn't Sean Connery be able to disguise himself as Japanese. I believe it.

I'm also a big fan of old and cheesy fifties science fiction films -- the stuff that Bert I. Gordon made, like Beginning of the End and The Incredible Colossal Man and Italian Imports like Caltiki the Immortal Monster and Planet of the Vampires.

All of these movies, however low-budget, have really memorable moments -- things that have stuck with me for forty years (which I have to struggle to remember anything from movies that I've seen last year).

And then -- there's Mackenna's Gold. This truly amazing big-budget star-studded Cinerama incomprehensible piece of crap is, for me, literally hypnotic viewing.

Every time it comes on, I have to watch it. With Gregory Peck, Omar Sharif, Telly Savalas -- and Julie Newmar as Indian wildcat Hesh-ka -- all on a quest to find a lost valley full of cursed Indian Gold.

This is truly an epic exercise in WTF.

Comment

Biologically, I was raised by my parents, but spiritually, I was raised by the films of The Cannon Group.

Comment

The Day The Earth Sood Still
                        Invaders from Mars
                        Last edited by Clint Hill; 01-19-2016, 12:27 PM.
                        “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

I'm also a pretty big fan of Pauly Shore and his movies (except for In the Army Now) as well as Ernest P. Worrell flicks.

Comment

My wife and I have had only two big fights in our marriage, and both began about movies. The first was ANACONDA, which I love, but which made her question everything about my tastes. But the real fight was about...

...PROMETHEUS. I loved every goddamn second of that movie. I'm aware of all the ridiculous plot holes, every bad decision made by the crew, I've seen every YouTube video ripping it apart, and all my friends make it their personal mission to talk me out of liking it, but I simply don't care. I adore it. My wife, however, is a hardcore ALIEN purist who loathed it with the fire of a thousand suns.
                            https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
                            http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Originally posted by nmstevens View Post

I saw this in the theater in 1967, when I was only seven years old and the opening, when a mercury space capsule was swallowed up by another space ship, cutting a space-walking

This is truly an epic exercise in WTF.
                              The recurring theme here seems to be about when you saw a movie rather thAn anything else... Watching movies as a youth has a big impact on how you see it, as we mostly glorify these periods in our lives.

Originally posted by ProfessorChomp View Post

...PROMETHEUS. I loved every goddamn second of that movie. I'm aware of all the ridiculous plot holes, every bad decision made by the crew, I've seen every YouTube video ripping it apart, and all my friends make it their personal mission to talk me out of liking it, but I simply don't care. I adore it. My wife, however, is a hardcore ALIEN purist who loathed it with the fire of a thousand suns.

Thats a great movie i dont care what anyone says lol
                              "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
                              SUBTITLED
                              Episode 1 (Beef pills)
                              Episode 2 (African commercial)
                              Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)

Comment

Originally posted by Staircaseghost View Post
                                Biologically, I was raised by my parents, but spiritually, I was raised by the films of The Cannon Group.
                                I always wondered how on earth Runaway Train got in there, a truly great film in amongst a lot of, well a lot of films that I loved in my youth when I would have hated Runaway Train.

Still love the Missing In Action films though, Chuck Norris just has such a likeability when he's mowing down bad guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X