No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Romantic movies with a twist

Originally posted by Crayon View Post
    The ultimate example has to be Gregory's Girl. That entire movie is about the romantic twist ... the twisted machinations of the fairer sex that is.
    Thanks, I'll check this out.

Comment

Well there are many films where the couple doesn't get to be together (Roman Holiday, Love Story) but as far as "twists" go, Bollywood melodramas really like to tangle it up.

For example in the film Bewafaa, the protagonist meets a musician she falls in love with around the same time that her sister is about to give birth. However, the sister dies after the kids are born. So the protagonist marries her brother in law just so she can raise her nephew and niece as her own (so they feel that they have a mother). Years go by with the protagonist stuck in a loveless marriage with a man who still grieves for his dead wife. And then, the heartthrob musician walks back into her life. After lots of twists and turns, in the end the protagonist decides to work on her marriage with her brother in law and raise the children she's become a mother to, thus giving up the love of her life.

More Bollywood films with not so happy love endings include Devdas, Kal Ho Naa Ho, and Kisna.

Comment

Would Some Kind of Wonderful count? I know the ending is ultimately happy but I think it fits what you're looking for to a degree. Plus its an awesome movie.

Comment

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
          The Human Centipede?
          It was love at first shite.
          Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
          "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by nobodysperfect View Post
            Seriously
            No. Not at all.

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
              Pretty in Pink, although the original was intended to have Andie end up with Duckie. The test screenings didn't go well, so they gave her Blaine, the major appliance. Bleh.
              I hate that ending. Duckie got screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by Syringe View Post
                Well there are many films where the couple doesn't get to be together (Roman Holiday, Love Story) but as far as "twists" go, Bollywood melodramas really like to tangle it up.

For example in the film Bewafaa, the protagonist meets a musician she falls in love with around the same time that her sister is about to give birth. However, the sister dies after the kids are born. So the protagonist marries her brother in law just so she can raise her nephew and niece as her own (so they feel that they have a mother). Years go by with the protagonist stuck in a loveless marriage with a man who still grieves for his dead wife. And then, the heartthrob musician walks back into her life. After lots of twists and turns, in the end the protagonist decides to work on her marriage with her brother in law and raise the children she's become a mother to, thus giving up the love of her life.

More Bollywood films with not so happy love endings include Devdas, Kal Ho Naa Ho, and Kisna.
                Thanks for this unique input, but my romantic comedy will have a standard happy ending - girl gets boy. Only the boy is different, not the one from the meet-cute part.

Comment

Originally posted by Syringe View Post
                  Would Some Kind of Wonderful count? I know the ending is ultimately happy but I think it fits what you're looking for to a degree. Plus its an awesome movie.
                  Thanks. Sounds good. I've never seen this movie.

Comment

Working...
                  X