No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Breaking up a long scene

Originally posted by Crayon View Post
    Why do you think that you have to break it up? There's nothing inherently wrong with long scenes. The Oscar winning Birdman (2014) is almost entirely 'one shot', and Hitchcock's celebrated Rope (1948) is a single 'one shot' 'real-time' scene.

Perhaps temporarily cut to an extreme long shot of the scene, and have the dialogue continuous over something ironic occurring in the foreground.
    I'm thinking I don't anymore. I'm just working on nuancing.

Honestly, all the times I read it it didn't read long. It only became an issue when I thought, "hey, this is 10 pages! Is that too long," hence my post.

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
      Show don't ... !

Ten pages could be fine, or if the content stinks then one page is too long.
      Agreed.

Comment

Also checkout the Inglorious Basterds script. https://www.scribd.com/doc/25017184/...nal-Screenplay The opening scene in the farmhouse goes on for 10 pages, is then broken up by a short cut to what is happening in the exterior, then back to the interior of the farmhouse for another seven pages.

A lot of riveting dialogue, some well placed action/suspense, and great acting keeps us engaged.

Comment

Originally posted by jonpiper View Post
          Also checkout the Inglorious Basterds script. https://www.scribd.com/doc/25017184/...nal-Screenplay The opening scene in the farmhouse goes on for 10 pages, is then broken up by a short cut to what is happening in the exterior, then back to the interior of the farmhouse for another seven pages.

A lot of riveting dialogue, some well placed action/suspense, and great acting keeps us engaged.
          Thanks. Will check that out!

Comment

Working...
          X